Even better than the arcade version

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Even better than the arcade version

Post by PeteProdge »

My nomination for a ZX Spectrum title that's superior to the coin-op source quite simply has to be Renegade. Never came across it in a real arcade, but I've played enough of it on MAME, and the playability is rather flawed.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Blerkotron
Dizzy

Re: Even better than the arcade version

Post by Blerkotron »

Agreed on Renegade. I also much prefer the Speccy versions of Bomb Jack and Green Beret, and I'm sure there's another one which is currently escaping me. It'll come back to me later. Maybe.
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

I was going to say Renegade before I'd even read the first post! :)

I remember buying it for the Amiga when I'd [temporarily] moved on from the Spec and was utterly disappointed at how bad it was in comparison. It's been years since I played it but I think it was more like the arcade version, which I've played in MAME much more recently. The Spec version was a massive improvement over the original.

I'd probably also nominate Midnight Resistance because the controls are much easier on the Spec. Oh, and the fact that it was something I could actually complete is another reason.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Maybe you don't agree, but I've always found Spy Hunter funnier and better to play than the arcade version.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Commando, by absolute miles. The arcade version is mean and horrible to play.

I'm afraid I had an ST by the time I was playing Midnight Resistance, and that's a great version. I also preferred its version of Strider, with smaller sprites that don't rather ridiculously overlap the scenery. It's something that happens a lot on C64 games; you walk up to a wall and stop, but your sprite still overlaps the wall by a few pixels.

I think Green Beret is a great conversion, but playability-wise I don't see much in it myself. Traitor-speak it may be, but I'd rather have the colour graphics on MAME!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I agree about Renegade.

It's quite a different game than on arcade. Arcade game requires lot of running left and right and punching while running. It requires good scrolling and wouldn't work on Spectrum well.

On Spectrum they made a brave but wise decision to change the gameplay. It's "stand in place surrounded by enemies and fight" here.

Spectrum also has very good graphics for Renegade while arcade has it quite simplistic, below arcade machine possibilites.

As for other games I would have to think harder. Arcade will win in 99% in terms of graphics but Spectrum version may be more playable. After all arcade were hard - supposed to kill you quickly so you inserted another coin.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Green Bert is better because of the auto repeat on the stabbing. I played a lot of the arcade though and it’s still pretty good.

Renegade is always my go to answer for this question. Is probably my second favourite game after Rebelstar 2.