Best arcade conversions

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: Best arcade conversions

Post by AndyC »

Not the only one. Me and my sister played Double Dragon all the time and loved it. I've never really understood why it's rated so poorly, the graphics are a bit iffy in places and the multiloading was a pain, but overall I thought it was good fun.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Just played Horace & The Robots, what a trip! Also it's REALLY nearly perfect to the original. 1:1 I'd say if not for the Evil Otto appearing bit faster.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

Yeah. I liked DD and Kung Fu Master on the Speccy, too. DD was fun as a 2UP game. Wouldn't dare post it here though :?
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

AS for Double Dragon the first part is bad on Spectrum but with each other part it's getting better. Double Dragon 3 is really okay.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

It’s understandable that Ikari Warriors gets a lot of love, it’s a brilliant game that managed to take an unique arcade controller (shooting direction knob controller) and made it work on the Speccy. Although I also remember it being delayed by quite a bit and by the time it was released, it was a couple years late and the reviews seemed to think it was quite dated by then. Even this one in Sinclair User gave it 7/10, said it was dated and nobody would remember it as their favourite arcade game!

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/page.ph ... 3&page=105

I still think it’s a great game now, but it’s interesting how the sequel - Victory Road - is almost totally forgotten. It’s even written by the same guys as the original, despite it being published by Imagine, which is a rarity in the Spectrum world with most sequels being written by a completely different team. I also believe it’s quite a rare game and fetched a decent price now. It does suffer from the setting now being in space (?!?!?) but if you like Ikari Warriors then you’ll really like Victory Road.

https://youtu.be/kIUwpmfBOB4
Ste Woz Ere
Drutt

Post by Ste Woz Ere »

Some good memories in here. Chase HQ sticks out in particular, initially I thought it was inferior to Amiga/ST due to the lack of colours (I was a kid, what can I say) but over time I grew to love it because the gameplay was spot on. (it actually felt better in some ways)

No-one seems to have mentioned Rampage yet. While some features didn't quite translate properly (such as Lizzie's spelling and the buses/trains being near-impossible to hit), it was still a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wDVWMSy398
Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:09 pm
Yie Ar Kung-Fu
Thank you very much! I remember a fighting game with characters called Sword, Club etc. but could not remember it's name. (one of the few I couldn't name from back in the day)