What do you now know many years later

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
bluespikey
Berk

What do you now know many years later

Post by bluespikey »

All these years, there are still some people left who are stunned to discover that Jetpac had a hover key, or Sabrewulf was slightly 3D. Or Lloyd mangram didn't exist.

My own shocker is that the laser swords on Rebelstar could cut through airlocks. That would have made the combat droids much more useful and changed every one of the dozens of games I played.

What's yours?
2 x

Morkin
Dynamite Dan

Re: What do you now know many years later

Post by Morkin »

I never realised until more recent times that the playable characters in Atic Atac - knight, wizard, serf - have different movement inertia/momentum.
1 x

smurphboy
Microbot

Post by smurphboy »

That there is a code for the teleport in Starquake that you can see on screen and then type in, to get to that area which is otherwise inaccessible. I just read the list of codes in a mag!
1 x

Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Morkin wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:18 pm
I never realised until more recent times that the playable characters in Atic Atac - knight, wizard, serf - have different movement inertia/momentum.
Never knew that! I knew that they obviously had different weapons and could go through different objects (bookcase for the Wizard? etc) but had no idea about the momentum!
0 x

GreenCard
Microbot

Post by GreenCard »

smurphboy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:18 pm
That there is a code for the teleport in Starquake that you can see on screen and then type in, to get to that area which is otherwise inaccessible. I just read the list of codes in a mag!
I've played that game to death since I was a kid, and until now I've been totally unaware of this! Any idea what the code is? I must see this inaccessible area! I *must* see it! :shock:
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Horace's ponytail.

That was shocking.
1 x

bluespikey
Berk

Post by bluespikey »

GreenCard wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:16 pm

I've played that game to death since I was a kid, and until now I've been totally unaware of this! Any idea what the code is? I must see this inaccessible area! I *must* see it! :shock:
Isn't it Exile? It's pointed to by a signpost on the next screen and the area fills the bottom left part of the map iirc
0 x

GreenCard
Microbot

Post by GreenCard »

bluespikey wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:29 pm
GreenCard wrote:

Isn't it Exile? It's pointed to by a signpost on the next screen and the area fills the bottom left part of the map iirc
No, Exial is definitely accessible. If I remember rightly, it's not far from Irage. :)
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish »

That the 'Nightmare Room' version of Miner Willy was supposed to be a flying pig (I thought it was a sort of mythical winged griffin), and thus the 'Emergency Generator' in the roof was supposed to be Battersea Power Station with a pig flying over it; a reference to the cover of Pink Floyd's 'Animals'.

And Gwyn Hughes and Rachael Smith didn't exist either; they were just a few of the pseudonyms regular Crash freelancer John Minson used for contributions to YS.
Last edited by Joefish on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

GreenCard
Microbot

Post by GreenCard »

bluespikey wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:29 pm
GreenCard wrote:

I've just looked up a map online. It's Amiga, there is indeed a signpost for it in the adjacent room. I've definitely seen that place and used that code before, so I dunno, must've got it from a magazine, or from my brother perhaps, I highly doubt I would've figured it out from the signpost as a kid. :)
0 x