Top 100 ZX Spectrum Games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
RWAC
Manic Miner

Re: Top 100 ZX Spectrum Games

Post by RWAC »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:13 am
cmal wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:22 pm I also never played a Gollop game back in the day and I got to admit that I don't enjoy that genre of game either. :cry: The first one I played ever was Laser Squad and that was only 3 weeks ago when I noticed how high it sits on the charts. I didn't find it fun but figured I was not playing it correctly. :? In an attempt to "enjoy" the genre, I played Rebelstar for the first time yesterday and still didn't find it fun. I haven't given up yet...
The first time I played a similar game was on PC, UFO Enemy Unknown, really really good, I enjoyed more than other games like Dune 2, C & C or Warcraft. So when I discovered there were similar stuff on the Spectrum (with the logic limitations) I was really amazed. The problem is, as in other cases, that you first play a more advanced version, then the Spectrum one.
You probably already knew this but UFO Enemy Unknown was written by Julian Gollop.
To my eternal shame, I've still never played it. :oops:
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:05 am
RWAC wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:02 am Great game.
Too great to be the 27th, IMO. It's 5th in my top 100.
Definitely a top 20 game, maybe even top 10.
I liked the sequel too, but the guards were too hard to kill making it a case of having to run from every encounter.
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

The thing about UFO: Enemy Unknown is that there's a whole extra strategic aspect to the game in which you build your base, research and manufacture technology and deploy various craft. Once you go on a mission though, it's very similar to the Rebelstar and Laser Squad games.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

I love the look and atmosphere of Saboteur but I cannot stand the combat at all.

I barely played any of the later Gollop games. I tried Lords of Chaos and got nowhere with it. I think I had some fun with Laser Squad on the Amiga maybe but never really put much time in.

Never played UFO/XCOM. I know I'd probably like them but for me it's a bit like Civilization. I absolutely love the very first one but I always felt like that was my limit in terms of complexity. It was easy to understand and the graphics didn't get in the way. Civ 2 looked a mess to me with its isometric graphics.

It's like that. Rebelstar 1 and 2 and Chaos were simple but deep. I don't need any extra gameplay mechanics on that.

The modern day equivalent for me is Into The Breach which is the best game on Nintendo Switch.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Best game ever: Laser Squad. On non-Spectrum/Timex computer, I only played Civilization, Dune, Age of Empires, and of course, UFO...
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

I agree that the XCOM games became far too complicated, too much resource management and the like.

However, one of the best games in the Rebelstar/Laser Squad "series" is Rebelstar Tactical Command for the Gameboy Advance, which seems to be mostly forgotten about these days. It was created by Julian Gollop and it's like Rebelstar meets Advance Wars, definitely worth trying out - even on an emulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_OKf064xFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3pd0jTjEQE
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Matt_B wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:14 am Having regenerating health was truly before its time, for instance.
That's a good point, I never really thought about that, it probably contributed to the fact that it was one of relatively few Speccy games that the average player was able to complete.

It's also one of the few games where I didn't dislike the fact that there were time limits - it wasn't an unreasonable one, and it added to the atmosphere and urgency of your mission in finding the disk and escaping having set the bomb.
blucey wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:57 am It's like that. Rebelstar 1 and 2 and Chaos were simple but deep. I don't need any extra gameplay mechanics on that.
That's why I didn't really warm to Lords of Chaos as much, there were too many extra elements introduced, with the chests etc.

Also for me the larger graphics size made the view much more restricted, I always found I was constantly scrolling to see the wider area.

Chaos has a completely empty playing area and the same wizard starting points, yet it's like chess, every game feels different. The spell randomisation forces you to re-think your tactics for each battle.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

Number 26 today.
I loved my shoot em ups back in the day

blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Solid choice. Nice and playable.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Flying Shark being great, I enjoy 1942 more.

Ok, you can insult me.
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

That's ok I love 1942 too but feel the Speccy version just wasn't for me.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Off to give Flying Shark a try. I can't remember if I've played it or not.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Definitely one of the Speccy's weakest genres because colour clash usually means mainly monochrome back drops and that usually means a bad case of 'what hit me?' syndrome.

It's not too bad on Flying Shark because the bullets are pretty big. Still a bit eye-strainy. The sound is terrible, the lives indicator makes very little sense and they do that annoying Graftgold thing of not displaying the menu options in the game. Press 3 to redefine your keys.

Still playable though.

http://torinak.com/qaop#!flyingshark
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

blucey wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:16 am Definitely one of the Speccy's weakest genres because colour clash usually means mainly monochrome back drops and that usually means a bad case of 'what hit me?' syndrome.
That's true. I guess that's why side-on shoot-em-ups with solid scenery, like R-Type or Zynaps generally fare better than the overhead ones. Flying Shark gets away with it by having the big bullets like you say. 1942 does by having very sparse backgrounds but that makes it feel a bit lacking by comparison IMO.

I bought Flying Shark when it came out purely because it was a Dominic Robinson shoot-em-up, and he did the business again. I even like the sound personally and the opening music is great. Probably top 30 for me too.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

I'm impressed with Flying Shark after playing it for the first time. Not sure how that one flew past my radar. :o
It's indeed very playable and the layout reminded me of the more difficult Terra Cresta.
Often I lost a life due to not seeing the bullet, but it didn't help that I was playing on a small 10 inch screen.

I'll be spending more time with this gem.
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

I've just looked at number 25 in my list.
Beginning to question my sanity.
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

cmal wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:56 am I'm impressed with Flying Shark after playing it for the first time. Not sure how that one flew past my radar. :o
It's indeed very playable and the layout reminded me of the more difficult Terra Cresta.
Often I lost a life due to not seeing the bullet, but it didn't help that I was playing on a small 10 inch screen.

I'll be spending more time with this gem.
Wow that warms my heart to think I've introduced someone to a hidden classic.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

jdanddiet wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:27 pm I've just looked at number 25 in my list.
Beginning to question my sanity.
Come on! We can't wait! WHAT'S THE GAME?
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Yeah come on, out with it, we're ready and waiting to give you some abuse..! :lol:
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

If it's anything above the level of Smudge & The Moonees I'm going to be disappointed!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:05 pm Image
Weirdly I quite like JCMF, probably wouldn't get in my top 100 though.. :lol:
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

RWAC wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:32 pm
jdanddiet wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:58 am 83.*a big ocean game!*
Jack Charlton's Match Fishing?

Actually, looking at the screenshot, that's a lake not an ocean.
I did predict this for your "Big Ocean game" :D
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

Number 25
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Normal service has been resumed! :D