Top 100 ZX Spectrum Games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
cmal
Manic Miner

Re: Top 100 ZX Spectrum Games

Post by cmal »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:03 pm Who Dares Wins II is a very enjoyable game, very underrated. I also love it.
Yet another game I've never played. It looks Commando-ish. I'll have to give it a try.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

For those wondering whatever happened to the first Who Dares Wins... it was originally released on the C64, but as a very, very close clone of Commando which resulted in Alligata having to withdraw the game due to legal threats from Elite, only to rejig it and release it as Who Dares Wins II a couple of months later! It was this version that was converted to the Speccy.

Who Dares Wins

https://youtu.be/3mM00hd4_6s

I had the Speccy version on the 10 Computer Hits 3 compilation and it was one of those really fun games that you didn’t expect to enjoy as much!

It’s a pity nobody has hacked the game to make the original Who Dares Wins for the Spectrum.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

WDW2 is an odd one. I remember it getting panned at the time and the word was that the Amstrad(?) version was way better. I owned it but can't remember much about it so let's give it a go.

http://torinak.com/qaop#!whodares2

FIVE MINS LATER:

this is pretty good to be fair. It's very smooth to play. Tough as nails after the first few screens but I like the variation of it with planes and cars showing up to give you a bad time. Bit of a reliance on situations where you need grenades I guess. The visuals are pretty awful but apart from that it's a solid game.
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

Number 21 today. Can't believe almost in the top 20!
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Joffa's finest?
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

RWAC wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:18 pmJoffa's finest?
http://www.wizwords.net/news/2020/11/30 ... -number-21
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

blucey wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:19 am
FIVE MINS LATER:

this is pretty good to be fair. It's very smooth to play. Tough as nails after the first few screens but I like the variation of it with planes and cars showing up to give you a bad time. Bit of a reliance on situations where you need grenades I guess. The visuals are pretty awful but apart from that it's a solid game.
Yup, it is a good game. I played it last night for the first time. The only thing I'd want in the game is a key redefine option, although I want to give it a try with a controller. Gameplay feels very smooth and I thought the visuals were average.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Definitely! (IMHO)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Yep, my favourite Joffa sports game (though they were all great), and in fact probably my favourite of all of his games. Played it loads.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

Naah, surely that's Firefly.

Hyper Sports is immaculately presented though and a nice change from the usual joystick wreckers that your typical multi-sports games of the time were.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Matt_B wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:42 pm
Naah, surely that's Firefly.
I've heard it called Green Beret or Green Bert but never known it as Firefly.

;)
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

The top 20 commences today with this gem!

www.wizwords.net/news/2020/12/1/wizword ... ames-no-20

blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Great game. Apart from the maze ending thing.
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

It's another Denton Designs game.

I'd probably have a fair few of theirs in my top 100 too.
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

A game that punched above its weight a bit. It looked fairly awful and the gameplay was basic but it was quite addictive.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/playonl ... wnid=25902
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Yeah, 'addictive' is the word.
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

I'd probably have Deathchase as number one if I was to make a list of the most overrated Spectrum games.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Matt_B wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:09 am I'd probably have Deathchase as number one if I was to make a list of the most overrated Spectrum games.
Maybe people love it (like me!) because, from the perspective of a game of 1983, technically it is brilliant. And in upper levels it becomes crazy.

... and you've just said a blasphemy. Regret it! ;)
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Death Chase is a brilliant game! I got a copy of it on a C90 tape with a load of other early Spectrum games when I got my rubber key speccy at Xmas 84. The graphics were incredible and it was so addictive, it really felt like a true arcade game - but at home.

The other thread about the longest loading time for a Spectrum game, where games were taking 12-14 minutes to load, the less than 2 minutes it takes to load Death Chase is something that's easy to forget about now, but at the time it meant it was a god send!
vanpeebles
Microbot

Post by vanpeebles »

I love Deathchase, it still plays very well. Once you start flying along on the later levels, you barely have time to shoot :lol: A simple, but great game.
Sinclair QL Forum: https://www.qlforum.co.uk/
Tatung Einstein Forum: https://www.robheaton.co.uk/tatung/
My Youtube Gaming Channel Acorn 32-bit, X68000 & QL: https://www.youtube.com/user/peetvanpeebles
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

3D Deathchase didn't really do much for me. It was fast and responsive but I got bored of it super quickly.

However, if you own any modern-ish console and want to recreate the rush, check out Descenders on PS4/XB1/NSW. There are times where the speed (and trees) are terrifying on that game. Super overlooked game.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I've checked the list and still no Wally Week games in it. All (or most of them) must be in the first 17 games...

... I hope so! ;)
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

blucey wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:14 am 3D Deathchase didn't really do much for me. It was fast and responsive but I got bored of it super quickly.

However, if you own any modern-ish console and want to recreate the rush, check out Descenders on PS4/XB1/NSW. There are times where the speed (and trees) are terrifying on that game. Super overlooked game.
Yeah, I don't think it's terrible. It's just that you've seen pretty much all that it's got to offer within a couple of minutes and the only variations are the palette-switched dark levels and getting more trees.

For another modern game where you can blast through the trees on a bike, try Breath of the Wild. Well, once you've unlocked the bike at least as that takes a while.