V - Visitors (Ocean, 1986)

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
AlexLux
Drutt

V - Visitors (Ocean, 1986)

Post by AlexLux »

Is this a "feature" or it's a bug... when playing "V",
I noticed that I can hit (run into) baddies as much as I like, nothing can hurt Donovan (hero that we control), so game is reduced just to plant bombs where needed and crack passwords on our way :roll:

Of course, I tried various files (original TZX, TAP, my ancient z80, even Erbe's TZX) all behave same...
I tried different emulators (ZX Spin, Spectaculator) no change, always same, we practically have built-in POKE for Donovan's health.

I remember there was some "tiny glitches" (as imperfect emulation) something like: wrong colour change of rhinocero in Sabre Wulf etc., but there was no major impact on gameplay... here, in V-Visitors, is this a case of the major impact of imperfect emulation vs. gameplay, or authors just have neglected Speccy version and release it "as is"?

I tried to start my real Speccy (after 15 years) just to find that membrane keybord is "recycled" and crumble when touched... at least electronics is still good :) so...

do you remember from old days, was there Donovan's invulnerability or not?

I know, I sound like main character in Orwel's 1984, when he want to find old enough person, to ask about... but ;)
My Speccy-emulation experience have few situations like this - (unbeliveable) sluggish controls in Athens, chase scene in Blade Runner (CRL's), etc etc.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Re: V - Visitors (Ocean, 1986)

Post by Stefan »

Just adding the entry - since searching for V is a bit of a chore.

Well, nearly fell asleep there, the inlay does say something about how you can die:
All robots are operated by a high-voltage static electricity which has the same effect when touched as a blast from a Security Robot. The blasts are not sufficient to kill Donovan instantly, but they do place a strain on his heart. Donavan's ability to successfully complete his mission is shown on the cardiograph displayed on the Communiputer. Each robot blast causes his heart beat to quicken until, ultimately, the cardiograph shows a straight line... If, however, Donovan manages to pass some time without being hit, then his heart might have time to recover.
I only see a straight line and I am unable to get Donovan killed - the C64 walk through which seems to feature the Speccy loading screen does show a tiny spike on the heartbeat, but the only thing it looks like Donavan is going to die from is from boredom.
zup
Manic Miner

Post by zup »

I always thought that the second part of Freddy Hardest was a better "V".
AlexLux
Drutt

Post by AlexLux »

Yeah, Freddy H. is an challenging game, while in V we have "tension" among time limit on one side and heart/body recovering in safe zones (needs time...) on other.
As we found, there is no danger in Speccy version (nothing hurts Donovan) so there is NO tension :(

I only wonder if does this happens on the real-Speccy as well as under emulation?
(I'm actually trying to put a blame for ruined gameplay on emulator instead on programmers :lol: )

I need to repair keyboard on my Speccy, that's why I asked help about V-Visitors.
Yep, I'll check Athena, Blade Runner,... once I fix rubber-thingie w.48k
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

This post probably belongs in the " What do you now know many years later" thread but for nearly 40 years I've believed that V stood for Victory, not Visitors (which actually makes a lot more sense).
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

But the V does stand for Victory in this, though.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Does it? Thanks for that! I'm sure I was told it stood for Victory decades ago when the original was first on TV and I wasn't allowed to watch it. Probably by a class mate who's parents let them.

A quick Google is pretty vague about it.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

The entire series was recently on one of the Freeview channels.
I was just old enough to watch it when originally aired but my younger brother complained enough to be allowed to see one episode. He saw the birth of the twins and had nightmares for years :lol:
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

I think I saw it advertised as coming soon on the freeview channel ForcesTV, which seems to show a lot of 80s stuff.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

toot_toot wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:29 pm I think I saw it advertised as coming soon on the freeview channel ForcesTV, which seems to show a lot of 80s stuff.
It's been and gone on ForcesTV. Looks like they only showed the first series.

I was allowed to watch the series back in the 80s and remember being in awe of the special effects for the massive spaceships, the visitors removing their skin to show they were reptiles (so that's where David Icke got his idea from!!) the legendary hamster eating bit and obviously the alien baby being born :o :o :o