Your favorite underdog (game)

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
catmeows
Manic Miner

Your favorite underdog (game)

Post by catmeows »

There were always games discussed by wide audience. Sometimes generally acclaimed (Target Renegade) or maybe with mixed views (Knightlore).
And there are games that seemingly no one knows but they are still fun.
If you should name one underdog game, which one would it be?

My turn: Rock'n'Roll https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... ock_n_Roll
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Mousey
Microbot

Re: Your favorite underdog (game)

Post by Mousey »

Colony, which got bad reviews in YS and Crash but was one of the best budget games I ever bought.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Chaos. Completely vanished without trace for years after release. The Among Us of the Spectrum.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Mousey wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:06 pm Colony, which got bad reviews in YS and Crash but was one of the best budget games I ever bought.
My thoughts exactly!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Two games that I used to love playing that I'd say are classed as underdogs are Jasons Gem and Fahrenheit 3000
Last edited by stupidget on Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Tujad:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/5 ... trum/Tujad

Let's face the truth, most of Spectrum games from the 80s were hard. Maybe around 1-5% of players were
able to complete Manic Miner or Knight Lore. Today it would be totally unacceptable but then there
were different standards.

And Tujad stands out of the crowd because it's really easy. It' colorful, nice and you are actually able to complete it.
I completed it in the 80s and was well... very pleasantly surprised about it ;)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

One for me was Out of the Shadows.

Not underrated as far as scores, but largely ignored by most mags.. it got a Crash Smash but it was hidden in the monochrome columns of the Adventure section so I didn't know much about it.

Stumbled upon it well after its release and loved it, one of my favourite games.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
llewelyn
Manic Miner

Post by llewelyn »

Tir Na Nog is my choice. It was the only game I bought when it came out because of the reviews about how amazing it was. Amazingly unplayable, I'd have given good money for a Sidhe Killer POKE! I still wander aimlessly around it from time to time and still have no clue about how to play to win.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

King's Bounty 3. Nobody knows it even existed!
Nienn Heskil
Microbot

Post by Nienn Heskil »

I don't think Krakout is mentioned too often. Possibly the best Breakout type game on the platform. Not without a couple of critical flaws, sadly (the titular insta-kill ball turns the game into a RNG fest later on, I normally POKE the hell out of it before I begin), but otherwise the playability is just right, unlike let's say Batty which just gets annoying to play really fast. And of course this type of game remains playable even on a phone.
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

The NSFW loading screen probably doesn't help! :lol:

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Pool by CDS or Pinball Wizard are two games not very popular, but I enjoy playing.

Moonlight Madness by the same author of Booty, John F. Cain. In fact, both games have the same gameplay, just different characters.
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

I like RasterScan. Even the Pickford Bros' said the game was a bit crap. I like the floaty-bouncy physics of the drone ball, I like the digitized objects and the weird background wallpapers. The door lock puzzles are fun. I admit I had to use an infinite energy POKE to give enough time to bounce around and solve the puzzles, the energy leaks away far too quickly to make any headway into exploring the ship and work out the plumbing problems. I have made a .tzx of the game with a trainer menu and an improved loading screen from ZXArt, if anyone wants it.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Probably Tetris 2 by Frantisek Fuka. It was waaaaaay better than the Mirrosoft thing, including puzzles and side by side two players gameplay as the arcade version.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Hotshot (Addictive) - I never hear anyone talking about this game, but it's great fun and a complete one-off. Future sports breakout with robot vacuum cleaners.

Sport of Kings (MAD) - a nicely executed horse-race betting game. Graphics aren't amazing but full of charm, a bit like Incentive's Millionaire. The races themselves are quite exciting, especially playing with a couple of friends. Great for £2.99 and I do like the early MAD pop-art covers.
Last edited by clebin on Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

druellan wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:59 am Probably Tetris 2 by Frantisek Fuka. It was waaaaaay better than the Mirrosoft thing, including puzzles and side by side two players gameplay as the arcade version.
I'd also recommend Ammytris/Amiga Tetris which seems to be based on Twintris on the Amiga (though 1-player). It's got the same smooth, fluid controls although moving left and right could be a touch faster and it feels a bit unfinished. When I made my Amiga game, Landfill, I tried to outright copy the feel of Twintris as I think it's the best Tetris ever.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

Hmm, do you know Mega Tetris 2000? It includes a lot of music and 1000 levels (I only completed 500 of them)!
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

druellan wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:59 am Probably Tetris 2 by Frantisek Fuka. It was waaaaaay better than the Mirrosoft thing, including puzzles and side by side two players gameplay as the arcade version.
Yes, Tetris 2 is so much better than the official port!
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Alone Coder wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:42 pm Hmm, do you know Mega Tetris 2000? It includes a lot of music and 1000 levels (I only completed 500 of them)!
Thanks for the tip off! I just gave it a go and I really enjoyed it. I think I marginally prefer Ammytris, but this is also really good. It took me a while to work out how to start the game, and I ended up with the slowest game mode that didn't seem to speed up over time, so I'll have to try it again.

By the way, I just saw the bouncing intro text on Ammytris actually says it's based on Twintris!
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Mousey wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:06 pm Colony, which got bad reviews in YS and Crash but was one of the best budget games I ever bought.
I really liked this one too. It's a shame it didn't have a proper ending.
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Mine is Megabucks. It's my favourite of those old graphic adventure style games.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Being a fan of filmation/isometric games, Psycho City is a cool game for me.

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Curse Of Sherwood from Mastertronic. First game I ever bought, it's probably viewed as quite a generic arcade-adventure. I just love it. It's immensely colourful, has the right level of difficulty for me and was a superb introduction to Spectrum gaming. In some ways, it's like an Ultimate game, albeit it came out many years after that label disappeared.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:40 pm Curse Of Sherwood from Mastertronic. First game I ever bought, it's probably viewed as quite a generic arcade-adventure. I just love it. It's immensely colourful, has the right level of difficulty for me and was a superb introduction to Spectrum gaming. In some ways, it's like an Ultimate game, albeit it came out many years after that label disappeared.
I like Curse of Sherwood although the collision detection is a bit off and the maze is so annoying!
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

I really liked Curse of Sherwood too, up until that maze. It always reminded me of Feud but with actual gameplay.