New TOSEC of ZXSpectrum (Nov 2017)

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Nomad
Manic Miner

New TOSEC of ZXSpectrum (Nov 2017)

Post by Nomad »

So I was browsing archive.org yesterday and I saw a new TOSEC... According to the info on the page it is all of the software from the WOS scrape, the previous TOSEC and some other sources. Needless to say I put it on download as I still haven't slurped the WOS archive yet.

According to the page...
This is the ultimate, most complete ZX Spectrum files set that have ever been!

This set contains:
- All files that were in TOSEC;
- All files from www.worldofspectrum.org which were never in TOSEC before;
- All modern homebrews up to September 2017;
- Demos from pouet.net;
- Games which took part in Crap Games Competition;
- Rare hacks and compilations.
2.7 gigs. Not sure how much space is taken up with all of the foreign language stuff will see once it downloads probably will save a few hundred megs. I wish there was an option to just download the English stuff. Its not such a big deal with this TOSEC but other later systems you can waste gigs on useless (to me) files.

https://archive.org/details/ZXSpectrumT ... adyEklipse

Post edited to remove none English Language content. PeterJ
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: New TOSEC of ZXSpectrum (Nov 2017)

Post by Ralf »

Good to see such initiative. If all Spectrum sites disappear there will be at least TOSEC ;)

You could ask the uploader to make a an English only pack if it's important for you.
Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron »

Is there a way to download this all in one go? Unusually for archive.org I only seem to be able to browse the files individually, there's no massive zip file. Or I didn't see one if there is.

Very comprehensive collection, and a lot of effort put into naming and tagging everything properly, too.

Edit: Wait, I found it. If you hover over the '71,022 files' text it pops up a download prompt. Not great UI, to be honest, but at least I got there.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Yes that's right, the interface could do with some work.
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

How did they dare to include the foreign Speccy stuff?!! :lol:

Good to know these things are available ;)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

It looks like the only way to download the whole thing is via a torrent.

If you are on Windows then this is very good:

https://www.qbittorrent.org/
Lady Eklipse
Drutt

Post by Lady Eklipse »

If you wish to filter out the stuff you don't need, please feel free to use ZX Pokemaster:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/zx-pokemaster/files/
You can rename all files as you wish as well as filter out the ones you're not interested in.
There is no currently option to skip files based on parameters, but you can sort files into folders based on language and remove all folders except of "en" folder.
Best regards,
Lady Eklipse.
ZX Pokemaster - cheat management and file sorting tool for ZX Spectrum
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Nomad wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:25 am So I was browsing archive.org yesterday and I saw a new TOSEC... According to the info on the page it is all of the software from the WOS scrape, the previous TOSEC and some other sources. Needless to say I put it on download as I still haven't slurped the WOS archive yet.

According to the page...
This is the ultimate, most complete ZX Spectrum files set that have ever been!

This set contains:
- All files that were in TOSEC;
- All files from www.worldofspectrum.org which were never in TOSEC before;
- All modern homebrews up to September 2017;
- Demos from pouet.net;
- Games which took part in Crap Games Competition;
- Rare hacks and compilations.
2.7 gigs. Not sure how much space is taken up with all of the foreign language stuff will see once it downloads probably will save a few hundred megs. I wish there was an option to just download the English stuff. Its not such a big deal with this TOSEC but other later systems you can waste gigs on useless (to me) files.

Не разумем пољски или руски или литвански зашто бих желео игре које не могу да читам?

https://archive.org/details/ZXSpectrumT ... adyEklipse
Lepa ćirirlica zemljače, ali ipak da pređemo na engleski. ;)

To translate the bold part for others who don't know Serbian.
"I don't understand Polish or Russian or Lithuanian why would I want games I can't read?"

Of course, the answer is simple, Spectrum games are valuable no matter in what language they are written, primarily because of the preservation of the complete archive.
Secondly, there are so many good games outside the English-speaking area, and there's a good chance that they will be translated into English, of course if we know about them.
Take for example, the Slovak game Towdie one of my favorites, which has been translated into English, as well as numerous Russian hits, etc.

btw, I'm glad there are more of us from ex-yu countries here on sc, you pleasantly surprised me. :)
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Downloading. I guess yet another ZX collection won't hurt...
Lady Eklipse
Drutt

Post by Lady Eklipse »

akeley wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:20 pm Downloading. I guess yet another ZX collection won't hurt...
It's not "yet another" collection. I have the audacity to say that it's THE FULLEST ZX Spectrum collection to date.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Lady Eklipse wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:21 pm It's not "yet another" collection. I have the audacity to say that it's THE FULLEST ZX Spectrum collection to date.
While you FULLEST!!!1! claim might or might not be true (eg it is 3 years old already), for me it very much is just another collection - seeing as I've been hoarding/making such collections for ~3decades now.

This wasn't meant as a pejorative by the way, just a statement of fact. If I did not think it's worth something I wouldn't be downloading it.
Lady Eklipse
Drutt

Post by Lady Eklipse »

akeley wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:48 pm
Lady Eklipse wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:21 pm It's not "yet another" collection. I have the audacity to say that it's THE FULLEST ZX Spectrum collection to date.
While you FULLEST!!!1! claim might or might not be true (eg it is 3 years old already), for me it very much is just another collection - seeing as I've been hoarding/making such collections for ~3decades now.

This wasn't meant as a pejorative by the way, just a statement of fact. If I did not think it's worth something I wouldn't be downloading it.
I'll be updating it this year. I've assembled this collection from numerous independent sources, which have never been assembled in one collection before. I've always seen WOS collection, TOSEC collection and numerous Russian collections to be separate, now they are all part of TOSEC. Of course there are Polish, Czech, Hungarian and Spanish websites, which I didn't scrape, because I don't know these languages and it's not a priority to me.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Is it actually officially part of TOSEC?
Lady Eklipse
Drutt

Post by Lady Eklipse »

Yes, I did all the updating for TOSEC, semi-automatically, there's actually even github code of my tools used for that.
I've united the previous version of TOSEC with ZXDB (database based in InfoSeek, but way better organized and up-to-date), scraped numerous obscure websites and renamed files according to TOSEC convention.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Yes, I already have this collection, I downloaded it a couple of months ago, I think someone has mentioned it before here on sc.
A very comprehensive collection, for sure...
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Ok, but the latest available TOSEC is actually much more up to date - 2019. It has also ~3,8GB of data vs this collection's 2.8GB.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

3.8 Gb ?
In that case I will download again...
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Just tried and it shows 2.86 Gb size.
What torrent did you use ?
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Yes, but Is it the SInclair only collection?
I see a list of other computers there.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

My "Sinclair" directory in this set is exactly 3,814,144 k,

Most of the directories are from March 2018, the [DSK] in Games is from May 2019.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

akeley wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:08 pm My "Sinclair" directory in this set is exactly 3,814,144 k,

Most of the directories are from March 2018, the [DSK] in Games is from May 2019.
Thanks, can you share download or torrent link?
I can't find it.
Lady Eklipse
Drutt

Post by Lady Eklipse »

Pegaz wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:56 pm Yes, but Is it the SInclair only collection?
I see a list of other computers there.
This is Sinclair ZX Spectrum-only collection. Other microcomputers and consoles are managed by other people. I'm not an expert in those and it's enough work in Speccy-scene alone.
Lady Eklipse
Drutt

Post by Lady Eklipse »

Pegaz wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:10 pm
I can't find it.
Apparently it got deleted for some reason. Some people complained about problems with that torrent file.
But I have a mirror, it just doesn't have each file in its own zip archive (I hate that standart, but it is what it is, kept it that way for archive.org).
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5477147
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Lady Eklipse wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:13 pm
Pegaz wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:10 pm
I can't find it.
Apparently it got deleted for some reason. Some people complained about problems with that torrent file.
But I have a mirror, it just doesn't have each file in its own zip archive (I hate that standart, but it is what it is, kept it that way for archive.org).
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5477147
Thanks, I think I allready have this, but I downloaded again just to be sure.
I was thinking of the link for the 3.8 Gb Spectrum collection, that akeley mentioned.
What is the difference between those two, anyway ?