Cybernoid clones?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Cybernoid clones?

Post by R-Tape »

Seven.FFF wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:42 pm I wrote a "lunar lander in a maze" game in 1983. More of a Thrust clone, although that didn't exist yet. It was in the "way too hard for anyone but the dev to play" category, because the tunnels were so tight. It was awful, and I couldn't get it published :D
Don't suppose you still have it?
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:44 pm Don't suppose you still have it?
Sadly no. Of course I would have wanted to rewrite it if I had it. I still could, I guess, but there's more interesting things to do. It was BBC Model B, and all my tapes and disks vanished in a house move.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

For ZXDB entry purposes, any objection/opinion if the following go down as 'inspired by Cybernoid':

Rough Justice
Slubberdegullion
Sophia (Ale, happy with this as a comment?)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:58 pm Sophia (Ale, happy with this as a comment?)
Well, since when I presented the game, I openly declared that Sophia was inspired by Cybernoid - as well as from Equinox and Druid - so I would say yes, of course ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks. You’ll have to forgive the obvious questions, I want to try and get just one of your entries correct on the first try.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I wouldn't call these Cybernoid clones, but I think they'd be on the Cybernoid Scale in the lower ranksTM...
  • Rex
  • Scumball
  • Metal Army
Can we try to find the most un-Cybernoid-like game on the ZX Spectrum? The Hobbit maybe?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Sophia is clearly inspired by Cybernoid. The gameplay is nearly identical, despite using a different theme. I have no doubt about this one.

Slubberdegullion is a mix between Cybernoid and Asteroids. Should we still classify it as inspired by Cybernoid?

Rough Justice is vaguely inspired by Cybernoid. Is it more inspired by Cybernoid than any other game?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm Slubberdegullion is a mix between Cybernoid and Asteroids. Should we still classify it as inspired by Cybernoid?
Rough Justice is vaguely inspired by Cybernoid. Is it more inspired by Cybernoid than any other game?
In my opinion:

Slubberdegullion is definitely 50% Cybernoid, 50% Asteroids/Thrust.

Rough Justice is a definite in my book, but Jon kind of says yes and no here.
I guess it's similar to Cybernoid in many ways, though not as insanely difficult.
It should probably come from the author tho, I'll PM him on WoS.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:24 pm I wouldn't call these Cybernoid clones, but I think they'd be on the Cybernoid Scale in the lower ranksTM...
  • Rex
  • Scumball
  • Metal Army
•Rex = 3.0?
•Scumball = 2.5 on the Cybernoid scale, 6.6 on the StarQuake scale
•Metal Army = 3.4
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

The Hobbit = 1.5 on the Cybernoid scale, since it's flip-screen and there's gravity certainly (otherwise Thorin and Gandalf would be floating away...)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

The Pyramid = 3.9

(inspired by Cybernoid 5 years before it was even released)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:14 pm The Hobbit = 1.5 on the Cybernoid scale, since it's flip-screen and there's gravity certainly (otherwise Thorin and Gandalf would be floating away...)
Drat. Well I'm undeterred in my mission to find the most un-Cybernoid game out there. Even if it means writing it myself.

(And I have nothing against Cybernoid, it's one of my favourites.)
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

There's a difference between blocky multi-screen games where you jump and ones where you fly.
Anyway, Cybernoid is just a Thrusta clone...
Or maybe Kokotoni Wilf... :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Joefish wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:03 am There's a difference between blocky multi-screen games where you jump and ones where you fly.
Yep, this particular ZX rubicon is crossed when you have a CRN of 1.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Sqij is definitely on the sprectrum. (Twice in fact!)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'd give Sqij 2018 a 1.9, I tried to calibrate the original Sqij but it made a horrid sludgy mess and contaminated the scale: CRN indeterminate.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Some time ago, I made a personal list of clones for Hewson games on the Spectrum. Probably Uridium is the more cloned Hewson game ever (there's a load of clones on the C64, for instance), but on the Speccy I think Cybernoid and Exolon were more influential.

* Shark (Players Premier, 1989). Cyberonid clone.
* Yeti (Destiny Software, 1988). Exolon clone.
* Task Force (Players Premier, 1989). Cybernoid clone.
* W.A.R. (Martech, 1986). Uridium clone.
* Cerius (Atlantis Software, 1988). Exolon clone.
* Antares (Juliet Software, 1987). Uridium inspired.
* Eagle (Juliet Software, 1987). Uridium inspired.
* Vallation (Tardis Remakes, 2016). Cybernoid inspired.
* Aquasquad (Atlantis Software, 1988). Cybernoid clone.
* Ultima Ratio (Firebird, 1987). Uridium clone.
* Rough Justice (Cronosoft, 2003). Cybernoid clone.

As someone commented earlier, Rex is clearly inspired by Cybernoid, although it's a superb game in it's own right. I recall Jas Austin told that Cybernoid was an inspiration during Rex development on the Retro Gamer's magazine 'Making' of' coveage.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:36 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm Slubberdegullion is a mix between Cybernoid and Asteroids. Should we still classify it as inspired by Cybernoid?
It should probably come from the author tho, I'll PM him on WoS.
Jonathan's reply (with permission):
Both games definitely drew inspiration from Cecco's classic. RJ was mostly written in 1999 while I was bored at work and really didn't have a lot of thought put into the game design. Slubber was much later, I'd been experimenting with game mechanics for quite a few years before it was written and to this day I don't think anyone understands how the numbers and power-up trails work. Slubber's control method had nothing whatsoever to do with Thrust or Asteroids, it was merely a variation on the control method used in Homebrew with a slight change to the gravity. For its part, Homebrew was inspired by Jetpac, I just decided to make the controls rotational for a twist. Those rotational controls were probably mostly inspired by Grand Prix Simulator, if that makes any sense...
So based on this I would say that Rough Justice should have ‘inspired by Cybernoid’ but Slubberdegullion should not. Slubber has a personality of its own and draws some inspiration from numerous sources.

I'd also say this is further validation of the Cybernoid Reference Number system, with Rough Justice as 4.0.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Audionautas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm Some time ago, I made a personal list of clones for Hewson games on the Spectrum. Probably Uridium is the more cloned Hewson game ever (there's a load of clones on the C64, for instance), but on the Speccy I think Cybernoid and Exolon were more influential.

As someone commented earlier, Rex is clearly inspired by Cybernoid, although it's a superb game in it's own right. I recall Jas Austin told that Cybernoid was an inspiration during Rex development on the Retro Gamer's magazine 'Making' of' coveage.
This is a great list, and I will be already including some of them in the next ZXDB update. Thanks!

However I'm not sure about a few items. In particular, neither Eagle or Ultima Ratio seem close enough to Uridium...
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Explorer by the RamJam Corp. was definitely inspired by Cybernoid. Same flick-screen action and detailed graphics but only one level. Sprites were large and colourful too.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Hi guys!

I'm resurrecting this old thread just to add some clones of Hewson games that I came across a couple of days ago and that had not been mentioned previously. What do you think?

* Zanthrax (Crash, 1989). Uridium clone with vertical scrolling. https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=5840
* Mango Jones (Crash, 1990). Cybernoid clone. (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=3007)
* Ethnipod (Your Sinclair, 1991). Cybernoid inspired. I always found this game quite 'Hewson-esque', like Rex, but with some distinctive elements (like the final boss). I don't know exactly how would it rank in the "Cybernoid scale". (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=1659).

All the best!
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

Audionautas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm Some time ago, I made a personal list of clones for Hewson games on the Spectrum. Probably Uridium is the more cloned Hewson game ever (there's a load of clones on the C64, for instance), but on the Speccy I think Cybernoid and Exolon were more influential.

You are correct! From the feature:-

""Like many Spectrum fans, Jas was a huge fan of fellow programmer Raffaele Cecco. “Exolon and Cybernoid, in particular, were huge influences,” he confirms, “and the Dan Dare games by Martin Wheeler were also a big inspiration for the graphic style, especially the tower section.” "
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Audionautas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm * Shark (Players Premier, 1989). Cyberonid clone.
I agree with everything except Ultima Ratio. In this game, just the shape of the scenario is vaguely similar to Uridium. The similarity is too weak to be considered a clone (or even an inspiration).

Audionautas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pmAs someone commented earlier, Rex is clearly inspired by Cybernoid, although it's a superb game in it's own right. I recall Jas Austin told that Cybernoid was an inspiration during Rex development on the Retro Gamer's magazine 'Making' of' coveage.
Although Cybernoid was one of the author references, Rex looks and plays very different. Frankly I see more similarity with Exolon and many other games...
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Audionautas wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 am * Zanthrax (Crash, 1989). Uridium clone with vertical scrolling. https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=5840
* Mango Jones (Crash, 1990). Cybernoid clone. (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=3007)
* Ethnipod (Your Sinclair, 1991). Cybernoid inspired. I always found this game quite 'Hewson-esque', like Rex, but with some distinctive elements (like the final boss). I don't know exactly how would it rank in the "Cybernoid scale". (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=1659).
Agreed. Despite the final boss and a few other details, the similarity between Ethnipod and Cybernoid, in both gameplay and visual style, is very clear.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:25 pm So based on this I would say that Rough Justice should have ‘inspired by Cybernoid’ but Slubberdegullion should not. Slubber has a personality of its own and draws some inspiration from numerous sources.
I disagree. Slubberdegullion is basically Cybernoid with different controls. Although it's innovative, the inspiration from Cybernoid is very clear!