Cybernoid clones?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Cybernoid clones?

Post by R-Tape » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:05 pm

I'd give Sqij 2018 a 1.9, I tried to calibrate the original Sqij but it made a horrid sludgy mess and contaminated the scale: CRN indeterminate.
0 x

Audionautas
Berk

Post by Audionautas » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Some time ago, I made a personal list of clones for Hewson games on the Spectrum. Probably Uridium is the more cloned Hewson game ever (there's a load of clones on the C64, for instance), but on the Speccy I think Cybernoid and Exolon were more influential.

* Shark (Players Premier, 1989). Cyberonid clone.
* Yeti (Destiny Software, 1988). Exolon clone.
* Task Force (Players Premier, 1989). Cybernoid clone.
* W.A.R. (Martech, 1986). Uridium clone.
* Cerius (Atlantis Software, 1988). Exolon clone.
* Antares (Juliet Software, 1987). Uridium inspired.
* Eagle (Juliet Software, 1987). Uridium inspired.
* Vallation (Tardis Remakes, 2016). Cybernoid inspired.
* Aquasquad (Atlantis Software, 1988). Cybernoid clone.
* Ultima Ratio (Firebird, 1987). Uridium clone.
* Rough Justice (Cronosoft, 2003). Cybernoid clone.

As someone commented earlier, Rex is clearly inspired by Cybernoid, although it's a superb game in it's own right. I recall Jas Austin told that Cybernoid was an inspiration during Rex development on the Retro Gamer's magazine 'Making' of' coveage.
2 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:25 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:36 pm
Einar Saukas wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm
Slubberdegullion is a mix between Cybernoid and Asteroids. Should we still classify it as inspired by Cybernoid?
Rough Justice is vaguely inspired by Cybernoid. Is it more inspired by Cybernoid than any other game?
It should probably come from the author tho, I'll PM him on WoS.
Jonathan's reply (with permission):
Both games definitely drew inspiration from Cecco's classic. RJ was mostly written in 1999 while I was bored at work and really didn't have a lot of thought put into the game design. Slubber was much later, I'd been experimenting with game mechanics for quite a few years before it was written and to this day I don't think anyone understands how the numbers and power-up trails work. Slubber's control method had nothing whatsoever to do with Thrust or Asteroids, it was merely a variation on the control method used in Homebrew with a slight change to the gravity. For its part, Homebrew was inspired by Jetpac, I just decided to make the controls rotational for a twist. Those rotational controls were probably mostly inspired by Grand Prix Simulator, if that makes any sense...
So based on this I would say that Rough Justice should have ‘inspired by Cybernoid’ but Slubberdegullion should not. Slubber has a personality of its own and draws some inspiration from numerous sources.

I'd also say this is further validation of the Cybernoid Reference Number system, with Rough Justice as 4.0.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Audionautas wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm
Some time ago, I made a personal list of clones for Hewson games on the Spectrum. Probably Uridium is the more cloned Hewson game ever (there's a load of clones on the C64, for instance), but on the Speccy I think Cybernoid and Exolon were more influential.

* Shark (Players Premier, 1989). Cyberonid clone.
* Yeti (Destiny Software, 1988). Exolon clone.
* Task Force (Players Premier, 1989). Cybernoid clone.
* W.A.R. (Martech, 1986). Uridium clone.
* Cerius (Atlantis Software, 1988). Exolon clone.
* Antares (Juliet Software, 1987). Uridium inspired.
* Eagle (Juliet Software, 1987). Uridium inspired.
* Vallation (Tardis Remakes, 2016). Cybernoid inspired.
* Aquasquad (Atlantis Software, 1988). Cybernoid clone.
* Ultima Ratio (Firebird, 1987). Uridium clone.
* Rough Justice (Cronosoft, 2003). Cybernoid clone.

As someone commented earlier, Rex is clearly inspired by Cybernoid, although it's a superb game in it's own right. I recall Jas Austin told that Cybernoid was an inspiration during Rex development on the Retro Gamer's magazine 'Making' of' coveage.
This is a great list, and I will be already including some of them in the next ZXDB update. Thanks!

However I'm not sure about a few items. In particular, neither Eagle or Ultima Ratio seem close enough to Uridium...
1 x

ZXDunny
Dizzy

Post by ZXDunny » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Explorer by the RamJam Corp. was definitely inspired by Cybernoid. Same flick-screen action and detailed graphics but only one level. Sprites were large and colourful too.
0 x