Cybernoid clones?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Cybernoid clones?

Post by R-Tape »

I'd give Sqij 2018 a 1.9, I tried to calibrate the original Sqij but it made a horrid sludgy mess and contaminated the scale: CRN indeterminate.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Some time ago, I made a personal list of clones for Hewson games on the Spectrum. Probably Uridium is the more cloned Hewson game ever (there's a load of clones on the C64, for instance), but on the Speccy I think Cybernoid and Exolon were more influential.

* Shark (Players Premier, 1989). Cyberonid clone.
* Yeti (Destiny Software, 1988). Exolon clone.
* Task Force (Players Premier, 1989). Cybernoid clone.
* W.A.R. (Martech, 1986). Uridium clone.
* Cerius (Atlantis Software, 1988). Exolon clone.
* Antares (Juliet Software, 1987). Uridium inspired.
* Eagle (Juliet Software, 1987). Uridium inspired.
* Vallation (Tardis Remakes, 2016). Cybernoid inspired.
* Aquasquad (Atlantis Software, 1988). Cybernoid clone.
* Ultima Ratio (Firebird, 1987). Uridium clone.
* Rough Justice (Cronosoft, 2003). Cybernoid clone.

As someone commented earlier, Rex is clearly inspired by Cybernoid, although it's a superb game in it's own right. I recall Jas Austin told that Cybernoid was an inspiration during Rex development on the Retro Gamer's magazine 'Making' of' coveage.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:36 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm Slubberdegullion is a mix between Cybernoid and Asteroids. Should we still classify it as inspired by Cybernoid?
Rough Justice is vaguely inspired by Cybernoid. Is it more inspired by Cybernoid than any other game?
It should probably come from the author tho, I'll PM him on WoS.
Jonathan's reply (with permission):
Both games definitely drew inspiration from Cecco's classic. RJ was mostly written in 1999 while I was bored at work and really didn't have a lot of thought put into the game design. Slubber was much later, I'd been experimenting with game mechanics for quite a few years before it was written and to this day I don't think anyone understands how the numbers and power-up trails work. Slubber's control method had nothing whatsoever to do with Thrust or Asteroids, it was merely a variation on the control method used in Homebrew with a slight change to the gravity. For its part, Homebrew was inspired by Jetpac, I just decided to make the controls rotational for a twist. Those rotational controls were probably mostly inspired by Grand Prix Simulator, if that makes any sense...
So based on this I would say that Rough Justice should have ‘inspired by Cybernoid’ but Slubberdegullion should not. Slubber has a personality of its own and draws some inspiration from numerous sources.

I'd also say this is further validation of the Cybernoid Reference Number system, with Rough Justice as 4.0.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Audionautas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm Some time ago, I made a personal list of clones for Hewson games on the Spectrum. Probably Uridium is the more cloned Hewson game ever (there's a load of clones on the C64, for instance), but on the Speccy I think Cybernoid and Exolon were more influential.

As someone commented earlier, Rex is clearly inspired by Cybernoid, although it's a superb game in it's own right. I recall Jas Austin told that Cybernoid was an inspiration during Rex development on the Retro Gamer's magazine 'Making' of' coveage.
This is a great list, and I will be already including some of them in the next ZXDB update. Thanks!

However I'm not sure about a few items. In particular, neither Eagle or Ultima Ratio seem close enough to Uridium...
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Explorer by the RamJam Corp. was definitely inspired by Cybernoid. Same flick-screen action and detailed graphics but only one level. Sprites were large and colourful too.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Hi guys!

I'm resurrecting this old thread just to add some clones of Hewson games that I came across a couple of days ago and that had not been mentioned previously. What do you think?

* Zanthrax (Crash, 1989). Uridium clone with vertical scrolling. https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=5840
* Mango Jones (Crash, 1990). Cybernoid clone. (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=3007)
* Ethnipod (Your Sinclair, 1991). Cybernoid inspired. I always found this game quite 'Hewson-esque', like Rex, but with some distinctive elements (like the final boss). I don't know exactly how would it rank in the "Cybernoid scale". (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=1659).

All the best!
jdanddiet
Manic Miner

Post by jdanddiet »

Audionautas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm Some time ago, I made a personal list of clones for Hewson games on the Spectrum. Probably Uridium is the more cloned Hewson game ever (there's a load of clones on the C64, for instance), but on the Speccy I think Cybernoid and Exolon were more influential.

You are correct! From the feature:-

""Like many Spectrum fans, Jas was a huge fan of fellow programmer Raffaele Cecco. “Exolon and Cybernoid, in particular, were huge influences,” he confirms, “and the Dan Dare games by Martin Wheeler were also a big inspiration for the graphic style, especially the tower section.” "
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Audionautas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm * Shark (Players Premier, 1989). Cyberonid clone.
I agree with everything except Ultima Ratio. In this game, just the shape of the scenario is vaguely similar to Uridium. The similarity is too weak to be considered a clone (or even an inspiration).

Audionautas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pmAs someone commented earlier, Rex is clearly inspired by Cybernoid, although it's a superb game in it's own right. I recall Jas Austin told that Cybernoid was an inspiration during Rex development on the Retro Gamer's magazine 'Making' of' coveage.
Although Cybernoid was one of the author references, Rex looks and plays very different. Frankly I see more similarity with Exolon and many other games...
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Audionautas wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 am * Zanthrax (Crash, 1989). Uridium clone with vertical scrolling. https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=5840
* Mango Jones (Crash, 1990). Cybernoid clone. (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=3007)
* Ethnipod (Your Sinclair, 1991). Cybernoid inspired. I always found this game quite 'Hewson-esque', like Rex, but with some distinctive elements (like the final boss). I don't know exactly how would it rank in the "Cybernoid scale". (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=1659).
Agreed. Despite the final boss and a few other details, the similarity between Ethnipod and Cybernoid, in both gameplay and visual style, is very clear.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:25 pm So based on this I would say that Rough Justice should have ‘inspired by Cybernoid’ but Slubberdegullion should not. Slubber has a personality of its own and draws some inspiration from numerous sources.
I disagree. Slubberdegullion is basically Cybernoid with different controls. Although it's innovative, the inspiration from Cybernoid is very clear!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Slubberdegullion is like the secret love child of Cybernoid and Thrust.

...Though I'm not sure if ZXDB has an 'illicit liaison' table...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:49 pm I disagree. Slubberdegullion is basically Cybernoid with different controls. Although it's innovative, the inspiration from Cybernoid is very clear!
Aye fair enough. It certainly has a high CRN.
Morkin wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:00 pm Slubberdegullion is like the secret love child of Cybernoid and Thrust.

...Though I'm not sure if ZXDB has an 'illicit liaison' table...
I wonder how thrust managed to dock without exploding? :?
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Hi guys!

A new Exolon clone detected!

* SHURIKEN (Crash, 1989) (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... m/Shuriken).

Thank you!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Good catch!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Audionautas wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:32 am Hi guys!

* SHURIKEN (Crash, 1989) (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... m/Shuriken).

Thank you!
OMG! Those "inspired" graphics are fantastic! On the screenshot alone I count Nodes of Yesod, Stormlord and Trantor?
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

druellan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:27 pm OMG! Those "inspired" graphics are fantastic! On the screenshot alone I count Nodes of Yesod, Stormlord and Trantor?
You mean that's a game? I thought it was the Friday Quiz... :lol:
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

druellan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:27 pm
Audionautas wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:32 am Hi guys!

Thank you!
OMG! Those "inspired" graphics are fantastic! On the screenshot alone I count Nodes of Yesod, Stormlord and Trantor?
To be honest I can't see the similarity with Trantor.

About Nodes of Yesod and Stormlord, do you think they are close enough to deserve getting added as inspirations too? We can have multiple inspirations for the same game in ZXDB.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:25 pm To be honest I can't see the similarity with Trantor.
The score section, but looking at it side by side, perhaps is not that similar.

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:25 pm About Nodes of Yesod and Stormlord, do you think they are close enough to deserve getting added as inspirations too?
Well, the author is not gathering graphics from other games directly, but using them as template to build their own. Besides, I think to call a game inspired by another, the main focus should be the gameplay (so, Exolon is a good call). This might be a good comment, but not more than that IMHO.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

druellan wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:42 amWell, the author is not gathering graphics from other games directly
If the author of a game simply copied graphics directly from another game, it would be a "mod", not inspiration. For instance Ku-Ku is a mod of both Project Future (copied code) and Sabre Wulf (copied graphics).

An "inspired" game means this game is so similar to another that it cannot be just a coincidence or a "loose inspiration". It has to be an intentional attempt to reproduce some aspect of another game although not a straight copy. For instance it's quite obvious the author of Shuriken was looking at Stormlord when drawing most vegetation for this game. Or perhaps the author imported and altered the original Stormlord graphics. It goes beyond some similarity, although it's not a direct copy. Likewise this game is an obvious attempt to reproduce Exolon.

I'm just not so sure about the similarity between Shuriken and Nodes of Yesod. Considering both games have an astronaut as main character, is it really reasonable to expect they should look more different from each other? Upon close inspection, these graphics look somewhat distinct...
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:16 am If the author of a game simply copied graphics directly from another game, it would be a "mod", not inspiration. For instance Ku-Ku is a mod of both Project Future (copied code) and Sabre Wulf (copied graphics).
it cannot be a 'mod' of both, there must be one base to modify it
taking/ripping chunks of code and gfx from different sources to build something new is not modding
almost every original author/team does it with their own assets at the very least
(is the Arc of Yesod a mod of Nodes of Yesod?)))
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Lethargeek wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:41 am it cannot be a 'mod' of both, there must be one base to modify it
He hacked one base game for graphics, another for code.

If someone rips all graphics from your game to create their game, it's a MOD. And if someone rips your entire game code to create their game, it's also a MOD. He did both.

Lethargeek wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:41 am taking/ripping chunks of code and gfx from different sources to build something new is not modding
Taking/ripping SIGNIFICANT chunks of code and gfx from different sources to build something new is modding.

Lethargeek wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:41 am almost every original author/team does it with their own assets at the very least
(is the Arc of Yesod a mod of Nodes of Yesod?)))
No, because reusing your own assets is not ripping or hacking.
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Cybernoid (and the Pyramid before it) was the inspiration for Forward to the Past.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... o_the_Past

And it's slightly more obviously inspired a few levels in Janky Joe.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... Retro_Hell
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:57 pm He hacked one base game for graphics, another for code.
NO, he either ripped assets from two sources OR modified ONE base with assets ripped from another source.
Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:57 pm If someone rips all graphics from your game to create their game, it's a MOD.
NO. It's just ripped gfx. The original was not MODified.
Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:57 pm And if someone rips your entire game code to create their game, it's also a MOD. He did both.
NO. If someone just 'rips' then it's a ripoff, NOT a mod. It is possible to build a new game with the same old routines that would look and feel completely different and even belong to another genre. Now, if someone takes the whole original executable that is initially working the same way and begins to change things here and there then it becomes a mod (until it becomes a 'rewrite' with too many changes).
Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:57 pm Taking/ripping SIGNIFICANT chunks of code and gfx from different sources to build something new is modding.
oh yeah, so all BASIC programs using SIGNIFICANT chunks of the ROM code are helloworld mods it seems :lol:
Einar Saukas wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:57 pm No, because reusing your own assets is not ripping or hacking.
How so? There's no other difference except the person doing it. Also it may be another team member if not the author.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

is Jetset Willy a mod of Manic Miner? :o
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

is a chess game with Rex and JSW sprites used to represent the pieces a mod of both? by Einar's logic it is :mrgreen: