Hidden gems

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Hidden gems

Post by PeteProdge »

A thread for brilliant games that escaped mainstream attention, so definitely not familiar hits like Manic Miner/Chuckie Egg/Robocop...

Arcade Trivia Quiz by Zeppelin Games
Purely a pub quiz machine simulator, but a lot more compelling than most other quizzes released on the Speccy. It's actually a budget title. I'd go so far as to say it's better than any other quiz I've played. (Mike Reid's Pop Quiz by Elite was a full price game and is immensely underwhelming, likewise Trivial Pursuit by Domark.)

Each question is represented by four choices of answer, like a proto Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. It's got beautiful AY music stings and is fairly intuitive to play.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
ramsrc
Drutt

Re: Hidden gems

Post by ramsrc »

I always enjoyed "Rescue". It is only text, but it was quite addictive and was quite exciting when trying to evade the patrols.

A hollow voice says "Plugh"
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Robber by Virgin Games.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index. ... 96&id=4174

A simple UDG game, nice to play.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Explorer by the RamJam Corporation - an amazing game that's huge and full of adventure. Seriously addictive stuff - a cult classic.

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

ZXDunny wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:40 pm Explorer by the RamJam Corporation - an amazing game that's huge and full of adventure. Seriously addictive stuff - a cult classic.

Tried to get into it, but never properly managed it. Crash gave it 32% which is possibly a bit harsh.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

Morkin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:14 pm
ZXDunny wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:40 pm Explorer by the RamJam Corporation - an amazing game that's huge and full of adventure. Seriously addictive stuff - a cult classic.

Tried to get into it, but never properly managed it. Crash gave it 32% which is possibly a bit harsh.
It was way ahead of its time. It was basically orienteering for armchair explorers, and the sheer size of it was staggering. I was so into this for such a long time.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Another hidden game I played a lot back in the day was War Game (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=5626). A strategy game cover form Microhobby magazine. There are english instructions in the WoS entry.

One of those mostly-BASIC games that surprises a lot. It's in spanish, though.

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Another recommendation is Rocman by Magic Team (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=4221.

The usual adventure game with objects to use and a map to explore.

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Reversi by Sinclair Research is another nice surprise back in the day. I used to play it a lot. Quite addictive.

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:40 pm Robber by Virgin Games.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index. ... 96&id=4174

A simple UDG game, nice to play.
A similar game, Styx by Matthew Smith is another enjoyable game to take it into account.

Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron »

One of my all-time favourite Speccy shoot-em-ups is Ano Gaia, which only ever appeared on a late-in-the-day Your Sinclair cover tape. Brilliant little game, very playable and super-colourful!

blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Megabucks. It never really got the attention or reviews it deserved but, for me anyway, it was the best game in that genre. I’d take it over Spellbound et al all day.

Colony. Seriously underrated resource management gem.

Good shout thee for Reversi. I loved that game.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:15 am Another recommendation is Rocman by Magic Team (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=4221.

The usual adventure game with objects to use and a map to explore.

I've just been playing this for the first time ever, on your recommendation, and I'm stunned. This is really good. I've never seen a scrolling arcade adventure on the Spectrum before, so it's a real breath of fresh air.

A few grumbles - the main sprite is sloppily drawn, looks like a dinner lady rather than some tough warrior and the walking sound is annoying.

Yet this is certainly an astounding obscurity. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I'm not sure if it's obscure or well known but let me remind you of Tujad:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.php?cat=999

It's a colourful, nice game and you know what's good about it? It's really easy. I completed it back in the 80s on real Spectrum without any cheats and
I'm sure that you can do it too :)