Mr Do coming soon to Spectrum

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
dfzx
Manic Miner

Re: Mr Do coming soon to Spectrum

Post by dfzx »

I had no idea what anyone was talking about. Mr Do? Never heard of him! Then I gave it a try - it's Digger! Why did no one say so?! I played that for hours when the free version came out on UNIX platforms.

This is a fantastic achievement, really playable, despite the limitations of the humble Speccy. Congratulations and thanks to everyone involved!
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Superb game! Well done fellas.

Plays really well, looks great, and a nice plinky plonky AY tune. As we hoped, the colour clash of the white player sprite works perfectly as a miner's torchlight.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Great conversion..! :)

I only played Mr Do (the arcade version) a few times. It's one of those games that looks incredibly easy but can be deviously tricky.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
MarkRJones1970
Microbot

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Thanks for all the great comments. Makes all the hard work worthwhile
Mark R. Jones

Ex-Ocean Software graphic artist -
Download my FREE PDF 'LOAD DIJ DIJ' (180,000+ words): https://ko-fi.com/i/IG2G3BEJZP
ZX Art page: https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/m/mark-r-jones/
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

MarkRJones1979 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:47 pm Thanks for all the great comments. Makes all the hard work worthwhile
Thanks to you and Adrian for the game!

And welcome to these forums, [mention]MarkRJones1979[/mention] ! :)
Cosmium
Microbot

Post by Cosmium »

What an excellent conversion!

Plays just like the arcade game. I can't really imagine a better version being done for the Spectrum. :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Aye, I was playing this earlier, managed level 6 so far. It seems easy in theory but hard in practice.

It's not a bug as such, but one of the ricocheting bullets got semi-stuck bouncing between the same opposing corners. Is that a 'feature' of the arcade game too by can't chance?
Adrian_Singh
Drutt

Post by Adrian_Singh »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:13 pm It's not a bug as such, but one of the ricocheting bullets got semi-stuck bouncing between the same opposing corners. Is that a 'feature' of the arcade game too by can't chance?
Yes in the aracde game the ball can sometimes end up bouncing back and forth between opposing corners in close proximity, however if the ball does not hit an enemy within a certain number of bounces the ball will self-destruct and be returned to the player.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

I must say, this game is bloody hard!!!