Golf games

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Golf games

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

The list of G games from the G thread inspired me to make this thread.

There are plenty of Golf games but I've not played many, being Nick Faldo Plays the Open my fave. It reminds me of the great Mario Golf for the Game Boy:

Also, the Leaderboard games are also great to play:

I had another one, Handicap Golf by CRL, but I remember it as a very slow BASIC game:

What are your fave Golf games? Any recommendations?
Dark
Dizzy

Re: Golf games

Post by Dark »

One of the first games I played on the Spectrum was Crazy Golf as that came with my +2.

As for a, “proper,” golf game, Leaderboard is the only one that I can recall playing.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

One i remember from way way back was a basic program with ascii gfx only. You typed in a direction, a club type and strength and it calculated where the ball landed. Then told you if were in the sand or rough etc. I rather enjoyed it even though it was about as "basic" as it could get... Simply called "golf" i think.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

I hunted down a golf game I used to play with my dad. He was a keen golfer but had little interest in anything else computer related. He bought it via a small ad for seven quid apparently. Played through the very BASIC looking course several times, all of the actions were performed via INPUT statements.

The game was called Troon.

Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Had the Nick Faldo game but the tape was knackered on arrival so never managed to play it. Surprised we never took it back to the shop for a replacement!

I must try it out and show it to my dad. He’s only been waiting 30 years to emulate his hero!

It looks kind of cool. Quite refreshingly different to the standard leaderboard type of setup.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Wow, the graphics in that Nick Faldo game are absolutely awful.
How did they convince Faldo to sign that?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Kweepa wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:47 pm Wow, the graphics in that Nick Faldo game are absolutely awful.
Maybe it's the only bad thing of this game. It's funny to play, though.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Kweepa wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:47 pm Wow, the graphics in that Nick Faldo game are absolutely awful.
In fairness the fella probably never played the game - he probably just got a nice pay cheque when the game sold. It could be worse compared to some of the other games that used a licence to sell the product :lol: Just look at the shaky game to see something that was irredeemably crap and endorsed by the principle licencee.

Getting back to the sports licences - did you ever see the Geoff Capes licenced game :lol: Probably the opposite of the Faldo game in that it had great graphics (and a sound track!) but suffered from input issues...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Curious to see that there are a lot of BASIC golf games made in the early years (1982, 1983).

It seems the trend back then was flight sims, chess and golf games! ;)
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Leaderboard was always my favourite. I think I preferred it over its sequel.

I liked the idea of the addition of trees in World Class Leaderboard, but disliked the way they were rendered, particularly the vertical pixel line shading around the rough areas. Made my eyes go funny.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

The original Leaderboard was my favourite too, although I enjoyed playing them all. Used to have that Kixx compilation of all three games.
textvoyage
Drutt

Post by textvoyage »

I combined the excitement of golf with the thrills of a text adventure for a CGC 2016 entry: https://sites.google.com/site/csscgc201 ... extgolfpro

When a player hits the ball, it's random as to whether the ball lands on the green or the club misses entirely, which is close to my real life experience of pitch & putt. With a demo mode & score card save facility too!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Did anyone try Konami's Golf? It was the first golf game I played on the Spectrum.

Not at the same level of the Leaderboards, but pretty good nonetheless.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Alessandro wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:46 am Did anyone try Konami's Golf? It was the first golf game I played on the Spectrum.

Not at the same level of the Leaderboards, but pretty good nonetheless.
Not a bad game, but in my case my problem was I played some better games before (Leaderboard series & Nick Faldo).

The same to Konami's Tennis (if you played Match Point before, any other tennis game is worse! ;) )