The best classic Speccy game beginning with G: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best classic Speccy game beginning with G: vote

Poll ended at Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:01 am

Galaxians by Artic
No votes
Galaxy Force by Activision
No votes
Game Over by Dinamic
No votes
Garfield - Big, Fat, Hairy Deal by The Edge
No votes
Gauntlet by US Gold
4%
Gauntlet II by US Gold
No votes
Gauntlet III: The Final Quest by US Gold
No votes
GBA Championship Basketball by Activision
No votes
Gemini Wing by Virgin Mastertronic
No votes
Ghostbusters by Activision
No votes
Ghosts 'N Goblins by Elite
No votes
Ghouls 'n' Ghosts by US Gold
4%
Gift From The Gods by Ocean
4%
Gilligan's Gold by Ocean
No votes
Glass by Quicksilva
No votes
Glider Rider by Quicksilva
4%
Glug Glug by CRL
No votes
Gnome Ranger by Level 9
No votes
Go Bear Go! by Sinclair User
No votes
Gobble A Ghost by CDS Microsystems
No votes
Golden Axe by Virgin Games
No votes
Goody by Opera Soft
No votes
Goonies, The by US Gold
No votes
Grand National by CRL
4%
Grand National by Elite
No votes
Grand Prix Simulator by Code Masters
18%
Great Escape, The by Ocean
39%
Green Beret by Imagine
21%
Gregory Loses His Clock by Mastertronic Plus
No votes
Grell and Falla by Code Masters
No votes
Gremlins by Magnum Computing
No votes
Gremlins (adventure) by Adventure International (UK)
No votes
Grumpy Gumphrey Supersleuth by Gremlin
No votes
Gryzor by Ocean
No votes
Guerrilla War by Imagine
No votes
Guild of Thieves, The by Rainbird
No votes
Gunfright by Ultimate
No votes
Gyron by Firebird
No votes
Gyroscope by Melbourne House
4%

Total votes: 28

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with G: vote

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Whenever I reach end of level one in Green Beret, I thought they were sheeps! :D

Am I the only one? :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 pm Whenever I reach end of level one in Green Beret, I thought they were sheeps! :D

If Cobra can have attack prams then you can be forgiven for thinking Joffa put sheep in Green Beret!
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Definitely sheep... :lol:

Anyway about the vote, I'm going to mull it over for a few days... I've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 so far...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Whenever I reach end of level one in Green Beret, I thought they were sheeps!
To be pedant, it's level two.

But yes, they look like sheeps :)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Ralf wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:17 pm
Whenever I reach end of level one in Green Beret, I thought they were sheeps!
To be pedant, it's level two.

But yes, they look like sheeps :)
Ooops! That's true, level two! :oops:
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:59 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 pm Whenever I reach end of level one in Green Beret, I thought they were sheeps! :D

If Cobra can have attack prams then you can be forgiven for thinking Joffa put sheep in Green Beret!
Surely that's Jeff Minter's trademark?
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Mike Davies
Microbot

Post by Mike Davies »

Green Beret is the one I've sunk the most hours into. Only recently got near to the end of stage 2. I love stage 1, though. But still, next to The Great Escape, I love the Great Escape. Denton Designs at their finest. Although, once you know the solution, it's a bit too straightforward. So I spend time trying to get into unused corners and doors, and off-limits areas.

Someone mentioned it being a creative idea well implemented, and I agree. But, here Glider Rider is the same, an ingenious idea well implemented. it's basically a puzzle game that requires timing, good reflexes and some thought. And the sense of achievement after managing to bomb your first reactor, well that's got me hooked. It's tough, but rewarding. Plus switching between bicycle and glider is more appealing than crawling around tunnels in the semi-dark.

So it's Glider Rider for me this week. One of the games that still holds up well 30+ years later.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Some great & memorable games there for me - Gauntlet, Gift from the Gods, Gunfright, Green Beret, Gyroscope...

But the one I'm going for is Grand Prix Simulator.

It got a lukewarm response from some mags (e.g. Crash), but I thought it was ace, both single and multi-player. Yep, am going for that one.
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Mike Davies wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:46 pm
Someone mentioned it being a creative idea well implemented, and I agree. But, here Glider Rider is the same, an ingenious idea well implemented. it's basically a puzzle game that requires timing, good reflexes and some thought. And the sense of achievement after managing to bomb your first reactor, well that's got me hooked.
Never been able to bomb anything in that game. But I'm very good at being zapped.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Wow! Currently a hard fight between The Great Escape and Green Beret, 7/6!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:59 pm Wow! Currently a hard fight between The Great Escape and Green Beret, 7/6!
I knew the Great Escape would do very well (it's second in the visitor Top 100 on some other Spectrum site), but I thought Gauntlet (my vote) would be closely following behind. Ah well. I think Green Beret is very worthy too, although I'm absolutely terrible at it. One of those horizontal action platformers that's immensely difficult for me, just like Ghosts N Goblins N Ghouls N Hold On I Need To Stop Now.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Gauntlet plays well enough but the graphics let it down. To be fair it was released around the time I had unrealistic expectations and didn’t understand why Spectrum games didn’t look like their arcade counterparts, but it could look a lot better.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Green Beret & Great Escape are both class games.

I didn't get that far in the latter, but liked the milling around with the rest of the POWs, having a schedule that you had to go to and trying to sneak out and do things craftily when you have the opportunity. Reminded me a bit of Skool Daze.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Morkin wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:57 am Reminded me a bit of Skool Daze.
I think the same. That's the best thing of it.

And you have some ways to escape, not just one.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Voted for The Great Escape.

I nearly voted for Ghostbusters. I missed this when it first came out and was super excited to find it for £1.99 as a Ricochet re-release in Woolworths. I loved Ghostbusters as a kid so bought it without hesitation. If I'd paid full price for it I suspect I'd have been disappointed. It suffers the same fate as many of Activision's ports of that era - the ROM font makes a guest appearance and there are awful graphics which were not converted kindly to the Spectrum screen layout. That said, you do get to bust ghosts and stop the Marshmallow Man - and the code you get at the end of the game if you win and make more money than you start off (so you can start with more money the next time around) with is pretty unique. The 48k speech is impressive - though the beeper rendition of Ray Parker Jr's theme tune is pretty rubbish. At least the 128k version improved on this.

And so on to The Great Escape. I got this one Christmas as part of Ocean's excellent Magnificent Seven box compilation. From the offset you are treated to a cracking beeper rendition of Colonel Bogey. The game is a real achievement - the camp is a living and breathing thing - and the ability for your player to go through the motions with you able to take control at any time to get up to no good is a great touch. The green flag turning red as you went somewhere you shouldn't be heightened the tension. I did once manage to get through the perimeter wall only to be told I hadn't gotten any paperwork so was recaptured. Back to the cooler for me. :) I often wondered how well this game travelled outside of the UK? We're slightly (understatement) obsessed with World War II as a nation and the repeated showings of World War II and POW films on the television meant this was a concept that didn't need a lot of explaining - even to 80s kids like myself.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:39 pm The 48k speech is impressive
...white noise generation?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Blimey! Grand Prix Simulator third position very close to Green Beret... I've never played it much, is it that good?
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Due to the nature of daylight savings time and phpBB using strict 168 hours (7 * 24) to define the past seven days, this poll closes at 11am UK time rather than the usual 10am. It's like an 'extra' hour to vote, but technically, not really.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Well, this was pretty straightforward.

The winner, unsurprisingly, is The Great Escape with 11 votes

In second place is Green Beret with 6 votes, closely followed by Grand Prix Simulator with 5 votes.

Everything else got one vote each: Gauntlet; Ghouls 'n' Ghosts; Gift From The Gods; Glider Rider and Gyroscope
Digital Prawn
Drutt

Post by Digital Prawn »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:05 am
Everything else got one vote each: Gauntlet; Ghouls 'n' Ghosts; Gift From The Gods; Glider Rider and Gyroscope
and Grand National by CRL :)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Digital Prawn wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:17 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:05 am
and Grand National by CRL :)
Oh yeah! *slaps forehead*