working version of iDSK or something similar?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Nomad
Manic Miner

working version of iDSK or something similar?

Post by Nomad »

I want to be able to extract the contents of a dsk

I tryed ManageDSK but it is pretty broken under wine. Even if I could get past the interface, the program seems to assume the user has ascended to some higher state of consciousness to be able to figure out how to get the thing to work..

I tried idsk but the tar file seems corrupt.., the package wouldn't compile from the AUR.. so I don't hold out much hope..

is there something preferably not connected to the above software that will do the same thing?

What I want to do is extract the files from a dsk then covert them to a readable form in linux. Like the BAS files I want to view them on my computer.. I figure this might be a problem with the special characters.

The idea is I want to take a basic listing from the spectrum, then get it in some usable file format to be used in a latex project. So ideally a txt source..
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: working version of iDSK or something similar?

Post by Alessandro »

Hi Nomad, I just read this post of yours - better late than never, I guess :lol:

Anyway, if you just have to convert a BASIC program listing into a plain text file, why not using a combination of ZX-Blockeditor and ZX-Editor? If you have both of them installed onto your system, you can peruse the contents of the .DSK file with the first, and then open an editor window by selecting the BASIC data block, then clicking on the "Edit the selected data block with ZX-Editor" icon (that with the magenta cube and a large black "E" on the right). From there, you can copy and paste the listing in the editor of your choice.

From what you write - wine etc. - I assume you need a Linux tool. I dabbled with it myself in the past (Linux Mint namely) and cannot be sure if Claus's programs will work under wine, but I would definitely have a try.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Thanks Alessandro I will have a play tonight and see how it goes.
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

Ah suprise suprise this bizare voodoo msi thing caused some sort of cryptic error with wine.

Is there a simple EXE? Lol when did applications start using this msi stuff? :lol:

This is what's on the zx-blockeditor page..

Code: Select all

wine $HOME/.wine/dosdevices/c\:/windows/system32/msiexec.exe /i ZX-Editor_Second_Edition_2.4.3_Setup.msi
all pretty reasonable but its for zx-blockeditor :lol: anyway I tried with the msi that it downloaded. Wine still does not want anything to do with it. :lol:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i ZX-Blockeditor_2.4.3_Setup.msi
This runs the install but same as most msi - after install when you come to run the program with wine nothing works :?

Ok -- I figured it out.

:lol:

For those playing along at home. Depending on your version of linux and how well you set up wine (for me not well).. Copy the directory that you installed using the msiexec it should be in .wine/whatever..

Now when you run wine do it in the directory that you copied the exe and all of the files to. you can now run zx-blockeditor.

Use the same process to get ZX-Editor working.

Credit where credit is due they are both nice applications. Especially ZX-Editor. Thanks for the tip!