Microhobby Cassette #5 #6 (July 1985)

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Microhobby Cassette #5 #6 (July 1985)

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:17 pm

Inspired by Morkin's 16/48 magazine thread and PeterJ's suggestion, I'm opening this thread to review post by post the games included in Microhobby Cassette, the special summer issue released in july 1985 containing #5 and #6, the only issue I bought back in that hot and long summer.

This magazine was the electronic, brother publication of Microhobby, the most important Spectrum mag in Spain. It developed only 13 issues, each one containing a leaflet with the instructions of every program and a tape.

The list of games can be checked in its SC entry:

Issue #5: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=13558
Issue #6: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=13559

So let's start with the first game: Oleoducto.
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
5 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Re: Microhobby Cassette #5 #6 (July 1985)

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Oleoducto (Oil Pipeline) by M. Gascón.

You're a worker in charge of the maintenance of an oil pipeline. You must repair all the ten (flashing) leaks before the time ('tiempo') reach 150. Beware of the scorpions, as they may kill you and you only have one life. However, you can use the hammers to kill them. Use the bridges to cross the pipelines. The keys are OPQA.

A really cute BASIC program for a start :)
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 pm

S.O.S. by Paco Martín.

This is an excellent game, written in BASIC and machine code. Maybe the best of the issue. In the best 'Game & Watch' style, you must control the bridges, closing them so that the people can cross them, on the contrary they will fall and drown. OPQA are the keys.

At first, there are 20 people. Only the ones that could crossed all the bridges go to the next level. As the level increases, the speed of the people increases too so the upper levels are bloody insane!

Just try and tell.

Teclado = keyboard
salvados = safe
ahogados = drowned
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:05 pm

Plotter by Jesús López

One of the few utilities included in this issue. A drawing program that let some effects and save (SAVE SCREEN$ format) into tape. The basic controls are

V left
B right
Q up
A down

If you used to be an user of The Artist of Melbourne Draw, MOVE ON, NOTHING TO SEE HERE!
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:19 pm

Bandera (aka Banderomovil) by L. Casaus.

Drive a car and collect flags (banderas). When you get 10, go to next level. Collect fuel (gasolina) tanks to avoid being run out. The column to the right shows the fuel level. Avoid bombs (bombas).

OPQA are the keys.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:33 am

Oleoducto (Oil Pipeline) by M. Gascón.
Not a terrible little BASIC game, though it doesn't offer much in the way of a challenge or varied gameplay!

I think it looks great. I think one of the few downsides of AGD is that we don't see games like this anymore (and we can't blame AGD for that).

It would be nice to get these cassettes on the site here, they are available here for now.
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:15 pm

Saltux

A game I have fond memories. Move the character (O,P and Q jump) through 5 screens, collecting all the objects and then reaching the exit to the next screen.

Due to the clumsy movement (don't forget it's a BASIC program!!!) it can be frustrating sometimes. You've been warned!

You lose a life if you touch the magenta stuff. The problem is with the next life you must collect all the objects again.

I remember using the GO TO command to reach next levels (lines 300, 400, 500 and 600) :mrgreen:

Vidas = lives
Puntos = points
You must press P to start.
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:25 pm

K'Laber by J. Cantelar

Find the hidden 8 keys ('llaves') in a maze made of 9x9 screens in a limited time ('tiempo') each key (48 secs). If time reaches 0, you lose a life. The screen shows where the key is.

After some games it's a bit boring. I should have include enemies, for example.

OPQA are the keys.
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:40 pm

Invasión amarilla (yellow invasion)

The terrible yellow robots from the yellow planet have invaded your planet. This is the plot of this surrealist game in which you must kill every baddie to save your planet. BASIC weirdness at its best.

You start in the indicated screen, when some enemies land. So you must fire them (O,P, Q, A and SPACE, M fire). At some point the program takes control of your character and enter the flashing door to continue this epic fight in the subterranean tunnels, where the aliens (or were they robots?) are even more dangerous.

Kill is the only thing you must do. When I played it for this review, an alien crossed a wall of bricks and the message '5 Out of Screen 700:2' appeared. Even in the most epic battles this can happen.
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:01 pm

Tramas by A.G. Tolosa.

This program is based on a cool game I used to play at school, on a squared paper. In turns, each player drew a line on a square side. When anyone drew the last line of the square (the fourth), marked the square with a 'X'. At the end, the player who marked the most squares won. We called this game 'cuadros' o 'tramas'. I'm sure someone here played it as well.

So this is the computer version of the game. Only 2 players option.

5 - LEFT
6 - UP
7 - DOWN
8 - RIGHT
P - DRAW

At first, the program ask for the players' names that are showed in a cool 3D effect. Then the game starts.
1 x