Microhobby Cassette #5 #6 (July 1985)

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Microhobby Cassette #5 #6 (July 1985)

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Astro by Manuel Orcera

Weird game in which you control an astronaut along some screens. First one, a labyrinth. If you touch the walls, you're dead, what is highly likely due to the difficult control of character. Frustrating.

Then, a new screen in which you must avoid and shoot stars. Strange level, as you're supposed to lose a life if collide with any stars, but sometimes you collide and nothing happens. I think I'm missing something.

Then, two new screens similar to the latter ones. If, after those four screens, you don't get a minimum of 27.500 points, you can't go to the next screens (it seems there are six in total). The problem is there's no points counter on the screen.

If you get that amount of points (of make use of the GO TO command :mrgreen: ) you go to the next screen, in which you must avoid and shoot a sort of space objects. This time with points and oxygen counter (whenever you collide with an object, your oxygen counter decreases). Probably the best level.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm loving this series of posts [mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention]
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]Juan F. Ramirez[/mention]

I found this on YouTube:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnR7n7rMU_g[/media]
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I knew that video! A very old tv advert of the magazine version, not this electronic mag.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:35 pm Oleoducto (Oil Pipeline) by M. Gascón.

You're a worker in charge of the maintenance of an oil pipeline. You must repair all the ten (flashing) leaks before the time ('tiempo') reach 150. Beware of the scorpions, as they may kill you and you only have one life. However, you can use the hammers to kill them. Use the bridges to cross the pipelines. The keys are OPQA.

A really cute BASIC program for a start :)
Looks a bit like the mini-game at the start of each Eureka! adventure.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Hockey by R. Tejado.

The last game of issue 5 is a simple classic hockey/pong game converted to the Spectrum. Five levels of difficulty (1=fastest ball, 5=slowest) in only two-players mode. The keys are:

Player 1 - Q up, W down
Player 2 - P up, O down
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Parchís by José Fabián Cámara

A ludo game to be played on the Spectrum. Choose number of players (2 to 4). Then, you'll be asked any player's name. Spectrum will control any player with no name. Why downloaded any sophisticated android ludo game when you have this simple & cute BASIC game? :)

You know the rules, so play!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Granja (Farm)

One of the funniest games of the issue. You're a farmer and been locked yourself in your farm. The problem is the pigs inside have risen up against you. Your only way to escape is pushing the two keys into the locks while fighting against the pigs by pushing (also) tomatoes against them. Beware of the yellow acorns, pigs shouldn't reach them (they're a true delicatessen for them).

The game that George Orwell would have written if he had learnt BASIC, definitely.

Vidas = Lives
Puntos = Points
Pantalla = Screen
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Were all the games on the MicroHobby tapes written in BASIC?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Morkin wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 pm Were all the games on the MicroHobby tapes written in BASIC?
Almost all of them, but not all. For example, the second reviewed game, S.O.S. was written in M/C.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Minitext

The second program of #6 is an utility ('We bought it to help with your homework / and the household accounts'). A word processor. Who needs MS Office or others if we want Minitext? Write, read, edit, save (on a cassette, obviously) and print is all you need in your daily needs.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Puzzcar by Octavio Campos

A cool game based on another game I don't remember it's name, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Reach all the oil stations without leaving the road. Beware of the fuel level.

O,P,Q,A the controls. V speeds up the car.

Really addictive.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Araneus by J. M Carrasco

A very interesting memory game. Try to catch 10 flies by giving the coordinates (line, column). First, the program will give you in a short time where they all are. Input the coordinates and if you hit too close of any of them, it will scare and fly to an unknown position.

If you are too late to catch them all, they will reproduce. In later levels, the time the flies are shown is shorter and shorter.

CAPTURAS = catches
INTENTOS = attempts
MOSCA ESPANTADA = scared fly
APROX FILA/COL = This message is shown to warn you next attempt try to hit closer to column/line
ULTIMAS TIRADAS = last attempts
PULSA FILA COLUMNA = press line column
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:40 pm Invasión amarilla (yellow invasion)

When I played it for this review, an alien crossed a wall of bricks and the message '5 Out of Screen 700:2' appeared. Even in the most epic battles this can happen.
:lol:
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Pengo by Manuel González

A clone in BASIC of the classic arcade. You're a cute penguin (ignore the UDG you see, it's a penguin!) and the evil sno-bees try to kill you. You must line up the three yellow diamonds and kill the sno-bees by pushing the ice blocks against them. Once line up the diamonds and kill the sno-bees you reach next level.

First, the program shows a short tutorial. When the message 'LO HAS ENTENDIDO TODO?' (have you understood it all?) appears, you must press 'S' to start.

The keys are 5,6,7,8.

Nice intro music.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Gonuffos

Save these little beings by making them fall through the holes. Beware of the radioactive creatures, if any are close to them, they'll die. As you free them, the distance te radioactive creatures are dangerous is bigger and bigger.

A sort of upside down Jumping Jack, but much easier.
Last edited by Juan F. Ramirez on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Diamonds

Get rich by travelling to planet 'Diamon' and get as many diamonds as you can, but beware of the terrible 'Energy Devorators' that can erm, devour your energy level.

This is a very awful, tacky planet, as you can see in the pic, made of horrible UDG pics and flashing stuff.

The key(s) to success are O,P,Q,A,M.

Good luck.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Chinos

A simple spoof game. At first, you're asked if you want instructions. Then, how many turns you want to play.

Each turn starts asking you how many coins you'll have in your hand. Then, say the total number in both hands ('Tu hablas'). The final result is shown as in the pic above: 'Ganas tu' - you win, 'Gano yo' - the computer wins or 'nadie gana' (nobody wins) with the number of coins the computer had ('yo dije') and what you had ('tu dijiste).

A really original game that demonstrates everything can be ported to a Spectrum game :)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Rubik

As you may have guessed, the last game of this double issue is a rubik cube game. If you couldn't complete it back in the day (the real cube) this is your last oportunity by completing it with this Spectrum version ;)

A bit messy to control.

Front side:

Left Spin
E
D
C

Right spin
U
J
M

Lateral side:

Up Spin
R
T
Y

Down spin
V
B
N

And that's all folks. All the games in this double issue have been reviewed. Play them and post your opinions here.

Coming soon, more issues! Stay tuned!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

As the 'Seal of Approval' was introduced in a posterior thread (MH Semanal 33-36) I think I should mark the games in this thread that deserved this seal:

S.O.S. by Paco Martín.

Granja (Farm)

Araneus by J. M Carrasco

Cheers!