Cybernoid 128K Cheat mode

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Cybernoid 128K Cheat mode

Post by R-Tape »

An unusual one this, both 48 and 128K versions of Cybernoid have the define keys cheat mode (change keys to YXES) but I've been poking around in the code and found the 128K version has an additional one.

On the intro screen if you type "cecco128" you get an enhanced cheat mode (it looks like infy lives, immunity, infy weapons), but it changes the title to "Cybernoid The cheating machine", all the Hi-Scores are unattainable and entered as "Cheater!" except for the author at the top, and if that's not enough the main sprite is changed to a roast chicken! (or perhaps a turkey).

I've checked the code and you have to be fairly well timed, ~1 second between keypresses, so use 'Mississippi' method. Here's a 128K z80 snapshot if you're struggling.

I think this is worth marking somewhere as part of its ZXDB entry, perhaps as a comment?
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Re: Cybernoid 128K Cheat mode

Post by MatGubbins »

If you load up the 256k Sam Coupe version on a +3 (not a 2+a/b) and type "Gobble, Gobble" (with the upper case G the comma and space) into the hi-score table you are blessed with a sprite that looks like an upside down rat and the music plays backwards. He's no fool, Mr T.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ta Mat, will try that on my SAM this afternoon.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

April Fool. I tricked you all.

That was fun wasn't it, same time next year.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

With all the cheat mode bits switched on, it makes the game a lot more friendly, those life sapping random firing things are harmless, the life sapping and annoying perfect timed elevator traps can now be sailed through and it just makes the game an enjoyable experience.
I played it a lot when it was first released, I recall reaching level 3 before the losing many lives. Now it's just a pain to play and I'm lucky if I get further than the fifth screen before all my lives are gone.

Next year, AND the game code of two previous titles together and create a brand new adventure!