The best classic Speccy game beginning with J: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best classic Speccy game beginning with J: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

Now onto another letter of the alphabet, and I don't suppose there are any standout classic Speccy games beginning with J, are there?

...ah, right.

Well before we call this a foregone conclusion, we do have the dilemma that Jet Set Willy voting faces a split.

I'm sure 95% of you already know Jet Set Willy can't be completed due to a bug and that Jet Set Willy 2 isn't a proper sequel, but a bug-fixed version of the previous game.

Which means votes may be split across these two...

Jet Set Willy
Jet Set Willy 2

...although I suppose Jet Set Willy 2 is objectively the better version.

Not sure how we deal with this, it's obviously a highly prolific title in Spectrum history, probably the first or second thing the average man-in-the-street would say if asked to name a ZX Spectrum game.

Anyway, putting our Willy away (fnar - Ed) let's take a look at other worthy contenders for the J vote...

Jack The Nipper by Gremlin
Jack The Nipper II by Gremlin
Jailbreak by Konami
Jetpac by Ultimate
Joe Blade by Players
Joe Blade II by Players
Joe Blade III by Players
Joe Blade IV by Players
Judge Dredd by Melbourne House
Juggernaut by CRL

Not a big list, I'll grant you, but there is Jetpac in there which is also a highly notable game. Do suggest your inclusions over the next seven days, and from 10am Mon 30th Apr, we'll do the vote.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with J: discussion

Post by Vampyre »

Some early classics:
Jumbly
Jumping Jack
Jungle Fever

One of the last text adventures I thoroughly enjoyed:
Jinxter

I think this poll might be a battle between Jetpac and Jet Set Willy. Although my prediction for Head Over Heels' victory fell rather flat...
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Jasper! by Micromega
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I would include journey's End, one of those cool games in spite of its appearance:

ImageImage

But I think this time, as someone said above, it'll be a mortal combat between Jet Set Willy and Jet Pac.
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

Jack the Nipper is the one that jumps out at me from that list. Not only did I love the game, but the comic strip in Your Sinclair was a definite favourite part of that magazine. A game where being naughty was the aim certainly appealed to me as child. The cartoon graphics were great and the game play loads of fun. I remember the anticipation for the sequel, which I thought was great, particularly the Indy Jones cart sequences, but my vote will probably go with the original.

The title character maybe didn’t go down in speccy folklore like JSW & Jetpac, but for someone whose first computer was a +2, and thus missing the impact of the earlier titles, he was definitely one of the defining characters of the spectrum to me.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Eek this one is going to be tricky, Jack the Nipper is probably the best there (IMO), but I really feel it should be Jet Set Willy :?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:13 am Eek this one is going to be tricky, Jack the Nipper is probably the best there (IMO), but I really feel it should be Jet Set Willy :?
Who knows... Jet Pac is the usual game that everybody loves (or, at least, nobody hates), I bet for it to be the winner (but I won't vote for it!)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I suppose the biggest "cult status" here belongs to Jet Set Willy. Anybody who heard about Zx Spectrum heard about it too.

But I'm not going to vote for it :D
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

I see there is no love for the attribute mess and dodgy collision that is Jack and the Beanstalk....

Jetpac it is
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

The Joe Blade series is pretty neat. The second installment lets you play a mini Pac Man game while it’s loading. Also, Joe Blade IV was never released. They renamed it Prison Riot.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Don't forget the multi-mode gameplay of Jason's Gem (even if the platform bits are a tad crap).
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Joefish wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:11 pm Don't forget the multi-mode gameplay of Jason's Gem (even if the platform bits are a tad crap).
Yeah, it’s kind of death-spirally, though.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:34 am I would include journey's End, one of those cool games in spite of its appearance:

ImageImage

But I think this time, as someone said above, it'll be a mortal combat between Jet Set Willy and Jet Pac.
One of my favourites although i can't count it as a classic. My vote is always on a game i feel is great, but also one of the earlier greats. Jack the Nipper came much later, so it has to be JSW, Jetpac or Jumping Jack.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Metalbrain
Microbot

Post by Metalbrain »

Jahangir Khan's World Championship Squash is quite good. I remember when I played it for the Speccy Tour.