Definitive list of games incompatible with +2A/+3 and of compatible versions (if any)

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Alessandro
Manic Miner

Re: Definitive list of games incompatible with +2A/+3 and of compatible versions (if any)

Post by Alessandro » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:39 pm

Ivanzx wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:03 pm
Thanks, Alessandro, now I know I can only play it in emulators!
De nada Ivan :)

On the other hand, did you know you can feed TAP and TZX tape images to a real Spectrum, by "playing" them on a PC through an utility like Tapir? I am sure we already exchanged posts about this. Especially after I found that a common cassette adapter for car stereo works wonders on the +2A. (These days you can find such devices in Chinese general stores for about € 2.00.)

This way you can "load" Nuggetreggae's fixed file and play with the real thing :D
0 x

Mike Davies
Microbot

Re: Definitive list of games incompatible with +2A/+3 and of compatible versions (if any)

Post by Mike Davies » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:00 am

Two recent games for me that don't seem to work on a +2A, but worked fine on a 128k:
  • Bedlam Original GO! release: Game loads, but noticeable graphics corruption on the menu, and crashes when starting a new game. I haven't tried the Sinclair User cover-tape version.
  • Guerilla War Original Imagine release: End of tape and the loader is still expecting more data. Even replaying the entire tape doesn't pick up a supposedly missing block. There's a block of data immediately after the loading screen that is skipped by both machines (+2A and 128k) -- in that the loading is red+black instead of blue+black of the other data blocks. I haven't tried the "Battle Stations" compilation version.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner

Post by Ast A. Moore » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:17 am

Mike Davies wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:00 am
Two recent games for me that don't seem to work on a +2A, but worked fine on a 128k:
  • Bedlam Original GO! release: Game loads, but noticeable graphics corruption on the menu, and crashes when starting a new game. I haven't tried the Sinclair User cover-tape version.
  • Guerilla War Original Imagine release: End of tape and the loader is still expecting more data. Even replaying the entire tape doesn't pick up a supposedly missing block. There's a block of data immediately after the loading screen that is skipped by both machines (+2A and 128k) -- in that the loading is red+black instead of blue+black of the other data blocks. I haven't tried the "Battle Stations" compilation version.
Unless I know for sure there are noticeable differences between releases, I don’t bother re-making fixes for them. That said, Bedlam’s re-release by IBSA works fine on the +2A, so an official fix already exists.

Not sure what you mean by the issue you describe with Guerrilla War. Works fine for me on both machines. I think I needed to reload the last block for the +2A (a tape loading error, clearly), but the loader is self-recovering, so it wasn’t an issue.

Edit: The first block after the loading screen is meant for the 48K version, so the 128K version skips it. Inelegant, I agree, but that’s how they decided to do it.
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Alessandro
Manic Miner

Post by Alessandro » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:58 pm

The list has been updated with the inclusion of Bedlam in group 1 (Italiano) (English).
0 x