Super Nudge 2000

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Super Nudge 2000

Post by Ralf »

I'd like to share here some curious case of game mod that I found once lurking in Russian websites.

So in the database there is a game called Super Nudge 2000. It's a gambling machine simulator. It looks this way:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=5028

and I found a version which looks this way:

The download:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/f9eiex

I would say it's the same game, but with improved graphics. Everybody agrees? ;)

It has gone through hands of some Russian hacker but I would still say it could be some real, legitimate release.

It looks like an advertisment for Bell Fruit Manufacturing which seems to be a real company from UK.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16kgb9

Anybody has some more info about it? Could it be originally not a hack but an official re-release by Bell Fruit Manufacturing?
Should we add it to the database?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Super Nudge 2000

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:39 pm Should we add it to the database?
Looks much classier and ZX-Blockeditor shows added credits to the hackers. I'll assume it's a straightforward crack and won't add to the spreadsheet until we know a bit more...
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Frankly it seems more adequate to classify it as a mod of the original game. In this case, it makes sense to add it to ZXDB as such...
Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad »

To be real though, how orignal was a fruit machine simulator by 1989 anyway in the first place? If its a Basic listing, then there were listings available years before this in both magazines and books. You could do refinements to that sure, and add graphics - even convert the logic to assembly language, perhaps add some sound.

But what I am trying to say is most of this stuff did not come out of nowhere - it was an alliteration on an idea/prior art. The new version has improved graphics and seems to be a good refinement of what was done with the 'original'

Not to knock either products - it just seems strange to call a fruit machine simulator from 1989 'original' :lol: What I think is great is the clear link between the two programs, its not always so obvious when a program borrows heavily from another. It might be covered below a layer of graphics but to all intents and purposes its the same as another program in the archive. For me that is fascinating seeing how all these programs/ideas are present throughout the archive.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I'll assume it's a straightforward crack and won't add to the spreadsheet until we know a bit more...
I would say it's a crack of a mod ;)

My guess of the story behind it is that:

1) At some moment in 1993 Bell-Fruit Manufacturing contacted original author Kevin Nichol
2) Graphics were replaced in cooperation with him
3) An add was placed. At some moment in the scroll we can read

Warning! If you want to buy real fruit game machine for your business
prepare $350(US) and call: (095)512-80-96!!!

And it was released this way.

4) Much later it was cracked by some Russian hacker

So I would say the mod is legit but this version is a crack. In perfect world it would be great to get the original, untouched mod.
But I see a little chance for it since this mod never appeared through 25 years. It's a kind of rare I guess ;)

I remember that old WOS stored some titles and marked them as "hacked/cracked version" if nothing else was available. I can't find an example
now but maybe Einar would know such a flag in ZXDB.

So personally I would add it as cracked rerelease and write in a comment about altered graphics. I wouldn't store it as new game as it uses the same name as original.

But you are the ones making decisions guys ;)