The best classic Speccy game beginning with L: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with L: discussion

Post by Joefish »

Little Puff (Cartoon Time)
Loco-Motion (Mastertronic)
Lorna (Topo Soft)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I realise that Lords of Midnight is probably going to win this one hands down, but, for me its a toss-up between Light Force or Lord of the Rings. Light Force was just such a leap in graphics for a shmup and LotR, though painfully slow, was a great adventure.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I realise that Lords of Midnight is probably going to win this one hands down
Not necessarily. We allready had some case of some "sure" winners and some self-confident people about their types and
then there was a voting, a reality check and a big surprise ;)

Lords of Midnight is a strategy game and for many people it's not their cup of tea.
Personally I'm not going to vote for it, maybe it's great but it felt intimidating with its size and complexity and I could never make any heads or tails of it.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:18 pm Not necessarily. We allready had some case of some "sure" winners and some self-confident people about their types and
then there was a voting, a reality check and a big surprise ;)
Are you referring to the protest against sanity that resulted in Chuckie Egg not winning ‘C’?
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Tough choice between Lunar Jetman and Laser Squad.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Hmmm, some quite good games beginning with L.

Will be interesting to see how many votes Lunar Jetman gets.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Luna Crabs
Lord of the Rings

Light Force is likely my vote.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I still have not decided to vote, but I must say Lightforce is a very cool shooter.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

hitm4n wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:02 pm Luna Crabs
Wow Luna Crabs!!!! I forgot about that little gem. It was the first game that I bought when we our little rubber-keyed beauty back in '84!! We'd had a Dragon 32 in 83 but after several tech issue we went back to Boots (yes, you could get a computer from a Chemists back in the 80s :) ) and swapped it for a Speccy 48k. So when I saw the Lunda Crabs high-res graphics I was gob smacked :shock: :shock:
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Wow Luna Crabs!!!! I forgot about that little gem. It was the first game that I bought when we our little rubber-keyed beauty back in '84!! We'd had a Dragon 32 in 83 but after several tech issue we went back to Boots (yes, you could get a computer from a Chemists back in the 80s :) ) got a cash refund, and me and my Dad ran trough Wolverhampton (you'd do the same if you had a wodge of cash on you in Wolverhampton) went to Comet and bought a Speccy 48k. So when I saw the Lunda Crabs high-res graphics I was gob smacked :shock: :shock:
Last edited by stupidget on Tue May 22, 2018 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Has Loopz been mentioned yet? Got a lot of mileage out of that puzzle game.

For me it's probably going to be Leaderboard. It set the template for just about every subsequent golf game since and I had many happy hours playing it back in '87.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Lightforce looks good, but it suffers from the same cheap shots as nearly all other horizontally oriented vertical scrollers - chucking in enemies from the two top corners at the same time so you can't get to both.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Joefish wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 am Lightforce looks good, but it suffers from the same cheap shots as nearly all other horizontally oriented vertical scrollers - chucking in enemies from the two top corners at the same time so you can't get to both.
Yeah, I always felt that it looked amazing but the gameplay wasn't any better than any of the Speccy's other good vertically scrolling shooters. I'd rather play Moon Cresta than Lightforce, for instance. Then a couple of weeks after Lightforce was released Uridium came out and blew it out of the water. Still a good game, but a bit over-rated IMO due to the incredible graphics.

One thing always confused me with Lightforce was that it came second in the 1987 Crash Readers Awards for Music (http://www.crashonline.org.uk/51/awards.htm). I don't recall any music, not to mention it was a 1986, not 1987 release...?
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:29 am There are three 007 games beggining with L:

- Licence to Kill
- Linving Daylights, The
- Live and Let Die

The only 007 game I've played a lot it's been A View to a Kill, none of the above though, so do you think it's worth including these three games in the poll?
I had the Living Daylights back in the day and I wanted to love the game as I thought the film was amazing, but for the life of me, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get past level 1. So the whole rest of the game was a mystery to me.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

stupidget wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:15 am
Wow Luna Crabs!!!! I forgot about that little gem. It was the first game that I bought when we our little rubber-keyed beauty back in '84!! We'd had a Dragon 32 in 83 but after several tech issue we went back to Boots (yes, you could get a computer from a Chemists back in the 80s :) ) and swapped it for a Speccy 48k. So when I saw the Lunda Crabs high-res graphics I was gob smacked :shock: :shock:
Yeah, Luna Crabs was an early title for me too. Basically 3D Tank but with crabs as i recall. And more fun.

And you're a fellow Dragon owner. We had a Dragon 32 at home too. Dad brought it home one day, i'd have been about 12. Probably around 1983 like you. There was a nice pool game on the Dragon, an awesome text adventure called Jerusalem, Pedro was good and Donkey Kong was great (i might be wearing rose tinted specs, emulating all these might straighten my memory).
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

hitm4n wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:18 pm
Yeah, Luna Crabs was an early title for me too. Basically 3D Tank but with crabs as i recall. And more fun.

And you're a fellow Dragon owner. We had a Dragon 32 at home too. Dad brought it home one day, i'd have been about 12. Probably around 1983 like you. There was a nice pool game on the Dragon, an awesome text adventure called Jerusalem, Pedro was good and Donkey Kong was great (i might be wearing rose tinted specs, emulating all these might straighten my memory).
Xroar is probably the best Dragon32 emulator for Windows & MAC (http://www.6809.org.uk/xroar/). Donkey Kong or Donkey King as it was called (how they got away with that is anyones guess) was probably the best Donkey Kong conversion as far as I remember, very close to the arcade with regards to speed and joystick response. The best adventure we had was called Mansion Adventure and me and my folks spent ages getting off the first screen. Basically you had to 'Prise Door' with the iron bar you found!!!! My dad used to spend hours playing Mined-Out from Quicksilva and Leggit (Jumping Jack on the speccy). I got a Dragon off ebay a couple of years ago and still had a blast playing Cuthbert Goes Walkabout :-)
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

Vampyre wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:04 am Yeah, I always felt that it looked amazing but the gameplay wasn't any better than any of the Speccy's other good vertically scrolling shooters. I'd rather play Moon Cresta than Lightforce, for instance. Then a couple of weeks after Lightforce was released Uridium came out and blew it out of the water. Still a good game, but a bit over-rated IMO due to the incredible graphics.

One thing always confused me with Lightforce was that it came second in the 1987 Crash Readers Awards for Music (http://www.crashonline.org.uk/51/awards.htm). I don't recall any music, not to mention it was a 1986, not 1987 release...?

Dunno... I just fired up Lightforce for the first time in 30 years and had a literal blast, and am gonna go back for some more a bit later. The graphics are fantastic, with all those lovely attribute-masking tricks at play. Didn't hear any music, though. Perhaps there was a 128K version? Not on my ZXDS setup, anyway...
Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

The L list as it stands...

Laser Squad by Blade Software
Lazy Jones by Terminal Software
Last Ninja 2, The by System 3
Last Ninja Remix by System 3
Leader Board by US Gold
LED Storm by GO!
Legend Of Kage by Imagine
Lemmings by Psygnosis
Licence To Kill by Domark
Light Cycle by PSS
Light Force by Faster Than Light
Little Puff by Cartoon Time
Live And Let Die by Domark
Living Daylights by Domark
Livingstone Supongo by Opera Soft
Loco-Motion by Mastertronic
Loopz by Audiogenic Software
Lorna by Topo Soft
Lode Runner by Software Projects
Lone Wolf - The Mirror Of Death by Audiogenic Software
Lords Of Chaos by Blade Software
Lords Of Midnight, The by Beyond
Lost Tomb Of Ananka, The by Compass Software
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge
Luna Crabs by Micromega
Lunar Jetman by Ultimate

Still time to get your nominations added if you haven't done so...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!