Rod-Land Cheat Mode

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
jpnz
Manic Miner

Rod-Land Cheat Mode

Post by jpnz »

Cheat mode for immunity - get a high score and enter IHATEMYDOG

https://youtu.be/3FKabSND4A4

Check the high score table again for a witty response

I'm surprised Ralf didn't pick this up while doing his colour mod
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Rod-Land Cheat Mode

Post by R-Tape »

Heh.

How did you come across that? Were you searching for recognisable ASCII in the blocks?
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I knew about this cheat. You can see it normally if you open .tzx or .tap file in text editor:

GAME OVER ! +}´ÂüŻŰţîżĘü! @"µ>°2–µÍ„µÍbő! XX6G í°!¤ŚÍný§ÂuüŐŻ2ď—>82Η>92Ď—>2Đ—Í4Ľ!ON>EÍáüÍÄüŃ!ý
í°Í„µ!§ŚÍný§Â'ďŐŻ2ď—>82Η>92Ď—>2Đ—Í4Ľ!TW>OÍáüÍÄüŃ!ý
í°Í„µĂ'ďIHATEMYDOG<I<DO<TOO<!ý°ü
ľŔ#ůý!şü
í°Ăĺ˝"őü2÷ü!HÍh±EPLAYER *** ENTER YOUR NAME !ý

It was discovered already some years ago by accident;) There is somewhere a buried topic at WOS about it but I won't search it now.

And we were actually searching for something bigger.

You may it know or not but the Rodland arcade original actually has actually 2 game "stories" which means twice as much levels. The second story is not so easily accessible, you may think about it as hidden levels. It has also different endings and other stuff avaliable to players only through trickery:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/arcade/56 ... and/cheats
Insert a coin, and on the title screen, press the following buttons to start on the Second Story (The Unknown Pyramid). If the game has the Second Story enabled by default (through the DIP Switches), then press the following buttons to go back to the First Story (Rescue My Mom).

So we were searching for a big bunch of hidden levels in Spectrum Rodland. And the bad news is that it doesn't exist ;) What you see is what is there in the code. But at least this cheat was found.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:33 pm Heh.

How did you come across that? Were you searching for recognisable ASCII in the blocks?
The funny thing is, after the IHATEMYDOG string, there’s one that reads I<DO<TOO<! Seriously. :lol:

Bah, Ralf beat me to it.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.