The best classic Speccy game beginning with M: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:00 am

Mag Max by Imagine
No votes
Mailstrom by Ocean
No votes
Manic Miner by Bug Byte/Software Projects
50%
Marauder by Hewson
3%
Marble Madness by Melbourne House
No votes
Marsport by Gargoyle
No votes
Master Of Magic by Mastertronic
No votes
Match Day by Ocean
3%
Match Day II by Ocean
3%
Match Point by Sinclair Research
8%
Maze Mania by Hewson
No votes
Maziacs by DK'Tronics
3%
Mercenary by Novagen
10%
Metabolis by Gremlin
3%
Metal Army by Players
No votes
Metro-Cross by US Gold
No votes
Microbot by Softek
No votes
Micronaut One by Nexus Productions
5%
Midnight Resistance by Ocean
No votes
Mikie by Imagine
No votes
Minder by DK'Tronics
No votes
Misterio del Nilo, El by Ziguat Software
No votes
Molecule Man by Mastertronic
No votes
Moon Alert by Ocean
No votes
Moon Cresta by Incentive
No votes
Monopoly by Leisure Genius
No votes
Monty Is Innocent by Gremlin
No votes
Monty On The Run by Gremlin
No votes
Moron by Atlantis Software
3%
Movie by Imagine
5%
Mr Heli by Firebird
No votes
Mr Weems And The She Vampires
No votes
Mugsy by Melbourne House
No votes
Mystery Of Arkham Manor, The by Melbourne House
No votes
Myth by System 3
8%

Total votes: 40

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Well, I think this'll be quiet and pass out without any controversy. It's not like I can see a familiar standout title... *whistles innocently*

You know the score. Seven days of this. Around 10am UK time on Mon 18th June, this poll concludes, and we'll see which game is top.

*deep breath*

Mag Max by Imagine
ImageImage

Mailstrom by Ocean
ImageImage

Manic Miner by Bug Byte/Software Projects
ImageImage

Marauder by Hewson
ImageImage

Marble Madness by Melbourne House
ImageImage

Marsport by Gargoyle
ImageImage

Master Of Magic by Mastertronic
ImageImage

Match Day by Ocean
ImageImage

Match Day II by Ocean
ImageImage

Match Point by Sinclair Research
ImageImage

Maze Mania by Hewson
ImageImage

Maziacs by DK'Tronics
ImageImage

Mercenary by Novagen
ImageImage

Metabolis by Gremlin
ImageImage

Metal Army by Players
ImageImage

Metro-Cross by US Gold
ImageImage

Microbot by Softek
ImageImage

Micronaut One by Nexus Productions
ImageImage

Midnight Resistance by Ocean
ImageImage

Mikie by Imagine
ImageImage

Minder by DK'Tronics
ImageImage

Misterio del Nilo, El by Zigurat
ImageImage

Molecule Man by Mastertronic
ImageImage

Moon Alert by Ocean
ImageImage

Moon Cresta by Incentive
ImageImage

Monopoly by Leisure Genius
ImageImage

Monty Is Innocent by Gremlin
ImageImage

Monty On The Run by Gremlin
ImageImage

Moron by Atlantis Software
ImageImage

Movie by Imagine
ImageImage

Mr Heli by Firebird

Mr Weems And The She Vampires by Piranha
ImageImage

Mugsy by Melbourne House
ImageImage

Mystery Of Arkham Manor, The by Melbourne House
ImageImage

Myth: History In The Making by System 3
ImageImage
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with M: vote

Post by Vampyre »

Well I voted for the obvious one as it's probably not only the most iconic Speccy game but also still one of the best.

But strewth there are some magnificent games beginning with M. You could submit a top 5 solely M games and I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Except Micronaut 1 - never understood the love for that game. Found it boring.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I joined the Resistance and voted for Match Point. No tennis game in any plattform has made me enjoy like it.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Manic Miner is one of those games, that are among the timeless classics.
If I had to choose one Spectrum game, which I would play on a desert island, it would be MM again.
There are a few games that I've played for as long as the Manic Miner (maybe just Elite and Dan Dare), countless hours spent, and I never regretted it.
About ten years ago, there was a Russian site where we could play Spectrum games with online ranking.
During several months I kept the best result with ~ 250,000 points in MM.
So, for me there's no dilemma in this vote, nor will it ever be.
Manic Miner all the way... :)

After that, several empty places and then:

Match Point
Myth
Mugsy
Mikie
Movie
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Like many others, I've gone for the big one.

Sure, Micronaut One fascinated me, it's a technical piece of genius. And I was compelled by The Mystery Of Arkham Manor, despite being no good at it.

When showing emulators to friends, Manic Miner is how I represent the Spectrum. (I also use Sonic The Hedgehog to represent the Sega Mega Drive - I don't actually like the game, but everyone knows it and it's visually impressive.)
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Well, that wasn't quite as easy as I thought it was going to be. As expected I've gone for MM as it's not just a Speccy classic, but, and all time classic.

Other contenders for me were Moon Alert as that was one of the first game I had for me beloved Speccy, and Marauder as that was also a great/classic game as far as I'm concerned. Had it on 48k to start with and then when I upgraded to a 128 the music and sound effects made the game even better.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

There's a fair few games there that could have topped any of the lists if they hadn't had the misfortune to choose a name starting with M.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am I joined the Resistance and voted for Match Point. No tennis game in any plattform has made me enjoy like it.
I almost caved to peer pressure, but have decided to join the People's Front of SCF and voted for Match Point. Just because I played it loads more over the years. Ace game. If I hadn't played it that much I would have voted for Manic Willy.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Manic Miner for me, the first game that comes to mind when I think of the Spectrum. It's simple, polished, addictive and plays great.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Morkin wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:56 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am I joined the Resistance and voted for Match Point. No tennis game in any plattform has made me enjoy like it.
I almost caved to peer pressure, but have decided to join the People's Front of SCF and voted for Match Point. Just because I played it loads more over the years. Ace game. If I hadn't played it that much I would have voted for Manic Willy.
Thanks, bro.

I'll never forget it.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I woke up today very optimistic.

I still think we have a chance and Match Point will win.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:58 am I woke up today very optimistic.

I'm actually worried you're right!

MM fans, I urge you not to be complacent, we've had late surges before.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I keep meaning to review Manic Miner on Spectrum 2.0, but keep chickening out because I struggle to express why I like it so much.

One thing that I find interesting is that the other systems felt the need to copy the Speccy graphics (are there many other games like that?). It just doesn't work if you tart it up, I'm thinking of the Amiga version.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:58 am I woke up today very optimistic.

What's wrong with Myth then (also on 3 votes at time of writing)?

I've not played either, but I think Myth looks pretty damned good and I'm no tennis fan.

Out of sheer curiousity, I decided to play Mr Weems And The She Vampires for the first time, as the screenshot here looked fantastic and I was expecting it to be an interesting Gauntlet clone. Well, I was severely disappointed. I don't think I gave it any more than five minutes before switching off. An amusing concept for a game, but really, it doesn't look good in action or play that well.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:03 am I keep meaning to review Manic Miner on Spectrum 2.0, but keep chickening out because I struggle to express why I like it so much.

One thing that I find interesting is that the other systems felt the need to copy the Speccy graphics (are there many other games like that?). It just doesn't work if you tart it up, I'm thinking of the Amiga version.
On the odd evening where I have a bit of time to myself, I like to boot up RetroPie (using an image crammed with lots of ROMs that I got off a torrent, it just makes life easier). I've recently been going through some of the 1990s takes on the classic retro games, and Space Invaders on the PlayStation 1 is a typical example of having a highly iconic retro game ruined by throwing on some unnecessary stuff. There's certainly no need for that background, it's highly distracting. I just don't think you can beat the original, it's got that look and there's no point trying to give it a modern visual twist.
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Yes, Match Point is totally winning.

Personally, I've voted for Movie.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

WIWC wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 am Yes, Match Point is totally winning.

Personally, I've voted for Movie.
My second option, another great game.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 am I just don't think you can beat the original, it's got that look and there's no point trying to give it a modern visual twist.
The same goes for ports to the other 8bits at the time, they all try to look exactly like the Speccy. Perhaps I mainly have the C64 in mind here, but that's rare isn't it?
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

As much as I realise Manic Miner is a classic, iconic and groundbreaking game in its day, I voted for Match Day 2. It is a game from my time with the +2 that I remember waiting to be released, and which I definitely was not disappointed in when I got my hands on it, played it for hours and hours. Also many good memories of playing it with friends due to the two player mode which astounded us at the time. A game that I really rate and a defining one of my childhood computer years.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Dark wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:13 pm As much as I realise Manic Miner is a classic, iconic and groundbreaking game in its day, I voted for Match Day 2. It is a game from my time with the +2 that I remember waiting to be released, and which I definitely was not disappointed in when I got my hands on it, played it for hours and hours. Also many good memories of playing it with friends due to the two player mode which astounded us at the time. A game that I really rate and a defining one of my childhood computer years.
I'm surprised Match Day II isn't doing better. Hey, if we had this poll at my school at the time, Match Day II would wipe the floor with everything else, including Manic Miner.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:56 am The same goes for ports to the other 8bits at the time, they all try to look exactly like the Speccy. Perhaps I mainly have the C64 in mind here, but that's rare isn't it?
It's not that rare. Often cheap ports didn't bother to redo the graphics to better fit the target machine.
If I was going to port to the C64, I might try widening the screen to 40x16 to get rid of the fat borders.
I was going to say that redoing the graphics would be sacrilege, but then I remembered the 256 color PC port which I think is a perfect upgrade.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

cthutu
Drutt

Post by cthutu »

I'm very sad that I couldn't vote for Mutant Monty.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

Me too, actually. It’s crap in a funky skillo sort of way but I have some fond memories of it. Is it the game with craziest inertia on the speccy?
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Not a good season for Jon Ritman.