The best classic Speccy game beginning with N: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with N: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

Dark wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:03 amOf the list the only one I recall playing, and one I really liked, was Nigel Mansell’s Grand Prix and I see that it was by Martech, whom I thought, “I’ve never heard of them,” when I saw the post about their first and last games – clearly I must have though, seen as I owned this game!
'Tis the curse of the 'first and final' format. The good games are usually in the middle! Martech brought out some notable releases, even if they weren't fantastic quality - Vixen; Sam Fox's Strip Poker and Rex. Obviously I couldn't focus on them as it was all about the first (Conflict) and final (Fallen Angel).
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

PeteProdge wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:26 pm
Dark wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:03 amOf the list the only one I recall playing, and one I really liked, was Nigel Mansell’s Grand Prix and I see that it was by Martech, whom I thought, “I’ve never heard of them,” when I saw the post about their first and last games – clearly I must have though, seen as I owned this game!
'Tis the curse of the 'first and final' format. The good games are usually in the middle! Martech brought out some notable releases, even if they weren't fantastic quality - Vixen; Sam Fox's Strip Poker and Rex. Obviously I couldn't focus on them as it was all about the first (Conflict) and final (Fallen Angel).
With the first and last format there is a good chance I won’t have heard of either games, as I entered the spectrum scene when I got a +2, and had stopped purchasing games a year or so before the final releases. But I genuinely had no recollection of Martech at all, yet I owned Nigel Mansell’s Grand Prix and played it extensively.

I have though enjoyed the first and last games of software houses, and look forward to some more. As for this topic, Nigel definitely has my vote at the moment.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Right, this is how the list is looking at the moment...

NARC by Ocean
Navy Moves by Dinamic
Navy SEALs by Ocean
Nebulus by Hewson
Nemesis The Warlock by Martech
Nether Earth by Argus Press
Netherworld by Hewson
New Zealand Story, The by Ocean
Neverending Story, The by Ocean
N.E.X.O.R. by Design Design
Nick Faldo Plays The Open by Mind Games
Nigel Mansell's Grand Prix by Martech
Nigel Mansell's World Championship by Gremlin
Night Breed by Ocean
Night Gunner by Digital Integration
Nightmare Rally by Ocean
Nightshade by Ultimate
Ninja Massacre by Code Masters
Ninja Warriors, The by Virgin Games
Nodes Of Yesod by Odin Computer Graphics
Nonterraqueous by Mastertronic
N.O.M.A.D. by Ocean
North & South by Infogrames
North Star by Gremlin
Nosferatu the Vampyre by Piranha

I'm going to start the polling on Tuesday morning rather than tomorrow (as I'd normally do), 'cos I'm very busy with something else.

Still time to add some more, get them in before 10am tomorrow for it to be considered.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

I would suggest Nifty Lifty, a great little arcade I've played a lot back in the day.
It is also worth mentioning, Hewson's Nightflite, at least for historical and nostalgic reasons, as the first commercial Spectrum flight simulator.