Cover artists

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Cover artists

Post by Einar Saukas »

Rorthron wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:04 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:28 pm Chrome on Android works for me.
Incidentally for me this information doesn't show in Chrome, either. Perhaps it's a function of screeen size and page responsiveness. I am using a Galaxy S8.
When you look at this page, do you see a big square called AUTHORS/CONTRIBUTORS, right after another big square called RELEASES? What kind of information is visible to you?
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I always wondered if it was really true that spectrum software development was driven by bedroom coders doing everything themselves. (over the whole of the software library sure probably a great deal was written this way and brought to market. But what about the games everyone talks about and loves? I think not so much.
I would say it's 50/50. There is a lot of software made by one man in his bedroom mostly for fun. And there is a lot of software which was created by teams of people who actually each day went to work, worked there and got a salary.

The teams were small by current standards however. Usually about 3-5 people, not over 100 people like in modern superproductions.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 pm
Rorthron wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:04 pm Incidentally for me this information doesn't show in Chrome, either. Perhaps it's a function of screeen size and page responsiveness. I am using a Galaxy S8.
When you look at this page, do you see a big square called AUTHORS/CONTRIBUTORS, right after another big square called RELEASES? What kind of information is visible to you?
Yes, I do have that box and it includes the role descriptions. I was looking at the general info box, which doesn't have it. Thanks.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

Einar Saukas wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:28 pmWhat about credits for hardware and books?

I don't know about hardware, but books shpuld probably be split between author, editor and/or illustrator. If they need to be bundled together, they could perhaps be described as BOOK CREDITS.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Rorthron wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:30 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 pm When you look at this page, do you see a big square called AUTHORS/CONTRIBUTORS, right after another big square called RELEASES? What kind of information is visible to you?
Yes, I do have that box and it includes the role descriptions. I was looking at the general info box, which doesn't have it. Thanks.
You are welcome!

I believe Peter considered that putting all authors and roles, in a single field inside the general box at the top, would look too cramped and confusing.

Anyway I like the idea of separate fields for main credits and contributions. I will prepare the proper SQL for him.
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

Comic book artist Jackson Guice (also sometimes known as Jackson "Butch" Guise) did the cover for Skyfox. The original Electronic Arts release on other platforms apparently came with a mini comic and he's credited on there (as Butch Guise).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/skyfox
http://www.mobygames.com/game/skyfox/co ... Id,387024/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Guice
✓ Reviewed
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

The Black Tiger and Dynasty Wars covers are both by Peter Andrew Jones.
✓ Reviewed
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

Some more Peter Andrew Jones for you (with "evidence"!)...

Falcon The Renegade Lord (PAJ 84 signature)
Artura (PAJ 88 signature)
Echelon (PAJ 88 signature)
Gauntlet III (credited on rear of box)
Last Duel (©PAJ signature)

Badlands is also credited to him on some sites but I can't find any definitive proof of this one. The box just says the artwork and packaging is © Domark.

I've also seen Laser Zone credited to him but I'm pretty sure this only applies to the Llamasoft version on the C64 as the Spec cover from Quicksilva Ltd uses totally different artwork. The Llamasoft one re-uses his cover from Isaac Asimov book "Buy Jupiter".

✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

This information was also added to ZXDB, thank you!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Judge Dredd (Melbourne House): In the instructions it can be read: "cover artwork by an original design by Brian Bolland"

✓ Reverted
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

OK, how about another classic comic strip character from Melbourne House? The cover art for Asterix and the Magic Cauldron is by Albert Uderzo (who else?) :)

Oh, and both Garfield games have Jim Davis' signature on the cover too (although a lot of his stuff is most likely done "in house" by Paws, Inc. rather than by him necessarily). And I guess the same goes for The Simpsons: Bart vs the Space Mutants and Matt Groening (who I'm almost certain does not/did not draw every single Simpsons-related picture that's been produced despite them all having his signature on). Maybe I'm opening too big a can of worms here?! :P
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Well, in my opinion we should include the author of the cover, no matter if the artwork is original or based on a comics character.

So, yes, let's open that can of worms! :mrgreen:
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:59 pmJudge Dredd (Melbourne House): In the instructions it can be read: "cover artwork by an original design by Brian Bolland"
Added to ZXDB, thanks!
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:38 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:59 pmJudge Dredd (Melbourne House): In the instructions it can be read: "cover artwork by an original design by Brian Bolland"
Added to ZXDB, thanks!
The loading screen (where Dredd is pointing angrily at the viewer) is based on a Brian Bolland drawing from the Block Mania storyline ("I'm with Rowdy Yates block!").
The inlay cover illustration is clearly by Mike McMahon (it's the cover of 2000AD #148):
http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.p ... mic=2000ad
Not that I'm a fan or anything... :)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

But if you look at the mobygames entry:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/judge-dredd__/cover-art

In 'manual side B', in the credits section it can be read (ok, a bit small, but it can be read) the artwork is by Bolland.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

The inlay must be referring to the loading image.
Bolland and McMahon couldn't be more different artists, and that cover is, very clearly, by McMahon.
Here are all the McMahon covers.
www.2000ad.org/?zone=covers&page=artist ... mic=2000ad
Unfortunately, he didn't specifically sign this one (or the signature got cropped for publication).
By contrast, here is the original image that the loading screen is based on:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/block-mania/4045-56739/
It's from the last issue of the story arc, drawn by Brian Bolland.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

So what's the verdict? Should I modify the credits of this game?

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=2648
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

I'd say the cover was Mike McMahon too. The credit on the instructions says "from an original design by Brian Bolland" but doesn't say he actually drew it. It doesn't look like his style and there's the fact that it is a perfect match for the cover of 2000AD Prog 148.

Here's a larger version of that portion of the instructions from my own scan:

Also, here's some info for Slaine. Glenn Fabry did the cover and there's also some other info about who worked on the game (actually, the Judge Dredd one has some potentially missing info too):

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Do you mean credits for Judge Dredd should be like this?

Cover by Mike McMahon
Load screen by Brian Bolland
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

I can't speak for Kweepa (obviously!) but I think crediting the loading screen to Brian Bolland doesn't sound right. The cover artwork is by Mike McMahon and it could be argued that the loading screen is based on an image by Brian Bolland but that might be stretching it a bit. It's not an exact copy of the Brian Bolland image but it may be what they meant to refer to in the credits section on the instructions sheet. Personally, I think someone just made a mess up when putting the instructions together (or they swapped out the cover image at some point?) and Bri got a credit he shouldn't have because (unless I'm massively wrong!) he didn't create Judge Dredd's original design.

Anyway, it's probably best to stick to what is verifiable and in this case only the cover artist is 100% verifiable... currently.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

richl, my thoughts exactly.
(Dredd's look was designed by Carlos Ezquerra, another iconic artist whose style is immediately recognizable and not on display here...)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

OK, this will be changed in the next ZXDB update. Thanks!
✓ Reviewed
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Driller Tanks:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=1524

In the scanned instructions (see the Mobygames link) it says:

"Cover Illustration: Roger Garland, Young Artists"
✓ Reviewed
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

We have been contacted by someone working on a documentary, trying to identify authors of cover artists for the following games:

Zaxxan (Starzone Software)
Death Cruiser (Noble House Software)
Volcano - The Action Game
Anirog - Specgraf (Anirog Software)
Jasper! (Micromega)
Starstrike (Realtime software)
Codename Mat (Micromega)
Moon Buggy (Anirog)
Hungry Horace

Does anybody have information about these titles?

Thank you!
richl
Dizzy

Post by richl »

Jasper! is by Paul Cemmick
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Cemmick

His signature is on the bottom left of the cover but isn't very clear. On the magazine ads they put text over the top of it but I eventually worked out what it was through some trial and error!

Here's a clearer example of his signature, just because I like to present evidence to back up my claims! ;)

✓ Reviewed