Cover artists

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Re: Cover artists

Post by Einar Saukas » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Rorthron wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:04 pm
Einar Saukas wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:28 pm
Rorthron wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Not for me. I am on mobile, though (Edge on Android).
Chrome on Android works for me.
Incidentally for me this information doesn't show in Chrome, either. Perhaps it's a function of screeen size and page responsiveness. I am using a Galaxy S8.
When you look at this page, do you see a big square called AUTHORS/CONTRIBUTORS, right after another big square called RELEASES? What kind of information is visible to you?
0 x

Ralf
Manic Miner

Post by Ralf » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:28 pm

I always wondered if it was really true that spectrum software development was driven by bedroom coders doing everything themselves. (over the whole of the software library sure probably a great deal was written this way and brought to market. But what about the games everyone talks about and loves? I think not so much.
I would say it's 50/50. There is a lot of software made by one man in his bedroom mostly for fun. And there is a lot of software which was created by teams of people who actually each day went to work, worked there and got a salary.

The teams were small by current standards however. Usually about 3-5 people, not over 100 people like in modern superproductions.
1 x

Rorthron
Manic Miner

Post by Rorthron » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Einar Saukas wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 pm
Rorthron wrote:
Einar Saukas wrote:

Chrome on Android works for me.
Incidentally for me this information doesn't show in Chrome, either. Perhaps it's a function of screeen size and page responsiveness. I am using a Galaxy S8.
When you look at this page, do you see a big square called AUTHORS/CONTRIBUTORS, right after another big square called RELEASES? What kind of information is visible to you?
Yes, I do have that box and it includes the role descriptions. I was looking at the general info box, which doesn't have it. Thanks.
0 x

Rorthron
Manic Miner

Post by Rorthron » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Einar Saukas wrote:
What about credits for hardware and books?

I don't know about hardware, but books shpuld probably be split between author, editor and/or illustrator. If they need to be bundled together, they could perhaps be described as BOOK CREDITS.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Rorthron wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:30 pm
Einar Saukas wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 pm
Rorthron wrote:

Yes, I do have that box and it includes the role descriptions. I was looking at the general info box, which doesn't have it. Thanks.
You are welcome!

I believe Peter considered that putting all authors and roles, in a single field inside the general box at the top, would look too cramped and confusing.

Anyway I like the idea of separate fields for main credits and contributions. I will prepare the proper SQL for him.
1 x

richl
Berk

Post by richl » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Comic book artist Jackson Guice (also sometimes known as Jackson "Butch" Guise) did the cover for Skyfox. The original Electronic Arts release on other platforms apparently came with a mini comic and he's credited on there (as Butch Guise).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/skyfox
http://www.mobygames.com/game/skyfox/co ... Id,387024/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Guice
1 x

Rorthron
Manic Miner

Post by Rorthron » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:54 pm

The Black Tiger and Dynasty Wars covers are both by Peter Andrew Jones.
1 x

richl
Berk

Post by richl » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:15 am

Some more Peter Andrew Jones for you (with "evidence"!)...

Falcon The Renegade Lord (PAJ 84 signature)
Artura (PAJ 88 signature)
Echelon (PAJ 88 signature)
Gauntlet III (credited on rear of box)
Last Duel (©PAJ signature)

Badlands is also credited to him on some sites but I can't find any definitive proof of this one. The box just says the artwork and packaging is © Domark.

I've also seen Laser Zone credited to him but I'm pretty sure this only applies to the Llamasoft version on the C64 as the Spec cover from Quicksilva Ltd uses totally different artwork. The Llamasoft one re-uses his cover from Isaac Asimov book "Buy Jupiter".
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:17 pm

This information was also added to ZXDB, thank you!
1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Manic Miner

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Judge Dredd (Melbourne House): In the instructions it can be read: "cover artwork by an original design by Brian Bolland"
0 x