Cover artists

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
richl
Berk

Re: Cover artists

Post by richl » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:46 pm

OK, how about another classic comic strip character from Melbourne House? The cover art for Asterix and the Magic Cauldron is by Albert Uderzo (who else?) :)

Oh, and both Garfield games have Jim Davis' signature on the cover too (although a lot of his stuff is most likely done "in house" by Paws, Inc. rather than by him necessarily). And I guess the same goes for The Simpsons: Bart vs the Space Mutants and Matt Groening (who I'm almost certain does not/did not draw every single Simpsons-related picture that's been produced despite them all having his signature on). Maybe I'm opening too big a can of worms here?! :P
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Manic Miner

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:04 am

Well, in my opinion we should include the author of the cover, no matter if the artwork is original or based on a comics character.

So, yes, let's open that can of worms! :mrgreen:
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:59 pm
Judge Dredd (Melbourne House): In the instructions it can be read: "cover artwork by an original design by Brian Bolland"
Added to ZXDB, thanks!
0 x

Kweepa
Microbot

Post by Kweepa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:30 pm

Einar Saukas wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:38 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:59 pm
Judge Dredd (Melbourne House): In the instructions it can be read: "cover artwork by an original design by Brian Bolland"
Added to ZXDB, thanks!
The loading screen (where Dredd is pointing angrily at the viewer) is based on a Brian Bolland drawing from the Block Mania storyline ("I'm with Rowdy Yates block!").
The inlay cover illustration is clearly by Mike McMahon (it's the cover of 2000AD #148):
http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.p ... mic=2000ad
Not that I'm a fan or anything... :)
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Manic Miner

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:40 pm

But if you look at the mobygames entry:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/judge-dredd__/cover-art

In 'manual side B', in the credits section it can be read (ok, a bit small, but it can be read) the artwork is by Bolland.
0 x

Kweepa
Microbot

Post by Kweepa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:03 pm

The inlay must be referring to the loading image.
Bolland and McMahon couldn't be more different artists, and that cover is, very clearly, by McMahon.
Here are all the McMahon covers.
www.2000ad.org/?zone=covers&page=artist ... mic=2000ad
Unfortunately, he didn't specifically sign this one (or the signature got cropped for publication).
By contrast, here is the original image that the loading screen is based on:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/block-mania/4045-56739/
It's from the last issue of the story arc, drawn by Brian Bolland.
0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:50 pm

So what's the verdict? Should I modify the credits of this game?

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=2648
0 x

richl
Berk

Post by richl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:11 am

I'd say the cover was Mike McMahon too. The credit on the instructions says "from an original design by Brian Bolland" but doesn't say he actually drew it. It doesn't look like his style and there's the fact that it is a perfect match for the cover of 2000AD Prog 148.

Here's a larger version of that portion of the instructions from my own scan:

Also, here's some info for Slaine. Glenn Fabry did the cover and there's also some other info about who worked on the game (actually, the Judge Dredd one has some potentially missing info too):

0 x

Einar Saukas
Manic Miner

Post by Einar Saukas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:16 am

Do you mean credits for Judge Dredd should be like this?

Cover by Mike McMahon
Load screen by Brian Bolland
0 x

richl
Berk

Post by richl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:12 pm

I can't speak for Kweepa (obviously!) but I think crediting the loading screen to Brian Bolland doesn't sound right. The cover artwork is by Mike McMahon and it could be argued that the loading screen is based on an image by Brian Bolland but that might be stretching it a bit. It's not an exact copy of the Brian Bolland image but it may be what they meant to refer to in the credits section on the instructions sheet. Personally, I think someone just made a mess up when putting the instructions together (or they swapped out the cover image at some point?) and Bri got a credit he shouldn't have because (unless I'm massively wrong!) he didn't create Judge Dredd's original design.

Anyway, it's probably best to stick to what is verifiable and in this case only the cover artist is 100% verifiable... currently.
0 x