Spectrum games for latter Star Wars films ?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
4thRock
Manic Miner

Spectrum games for latter Star Wars films ?

Post by 4thRock »

Let's imagine that Star Wars movies after Return of the Jedi came out earlier (late 1980's to early 1990's).
And we had Spectrum games for each.

What sort of games could they be? 3D, 2D, graphic adventure, racing games?

I can imagine pod racing from Phantom Menage as a racer ;)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Re: Spectrum games for latter Star Wars films ?

Post by PeteProdge »

I recently rewatched Phantom Menace and it was even more diabolically bad than the first time round*. 95% of it is a council meeting. Yes, the pod racing scene is utterly fantastic and I'm sure the official game at the time used this bit as the basis. The rest of the film could be represented on the Spectrum as some management simulator, could have been written by Kevin Toms.

The Force Awakens though, now there's a great film. You could be BB-8 in a Tir Na Nog style exploration, although it'd need to be a lot more action packed than the typical Gargoyle Games offering.

* = I don't feel good saying this. I spent a few hours with one of the actors on something I was filming, he's a thoroughly nice bloke.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

The pod racing could be represented by the rally game from casette 50
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Jar Jar Binks Quest = SQIJ! (Power House Edition)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeteProdge wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:22 am I recently rewatched Phantom Menace and it was even more diabolically bad than the first time round*. 95% of it is a council meeting.
Chortle!

95% is too much though, a sizeable chunk of it could be an adventure game where you basically have to find spare parts for a banger race.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Incidentally, really impressed with 2016's Rogue One - a Star Wars film co-written by CU Amiga's Gary Whitta. Up there with the classic trilogy.

Can we phone up Domark and see if they can get round to converting it for the Speccy? Might have to be a very long multiload.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Well, there was some sort of Star Wars game recently, R2D2, which can be considered the first of the new trilogy?

https://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/ ... edirect/p1
blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

I'd have liked to see Ocean turn them all into multi-part platformers with occasional puzzle bits.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Phantom Menace
You are young Anakin, walk around Mos Isley picking up coins and bits of metal, trade them in for bits of C3P0
Puzzle game: Assemble C3PO as a sliding block puzzle
You are young Anakin, walk around Mos Isley again, again picking up coins, bits of metal trade them in for bits of a pod racer
Puzzle game: Assemble pod racer as a sliding block puzzle
It's race time - Yipee! (sorry....) Race to win.
You are R2D2, the space ship has been hit and you've been sent outside to repair it
It's a puzzle game: identify broken bits of cogs with the new bits of cogs from the store, find, replace. Get a pat on the dome from Natalie/Keira
Space shoot 'em up time: Battle your way through wave after wave of attack craft to get to the donut craft, and blow it to bits...

Oh, sod it... Anakin turns bad and becomes Darth Vader.
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

Rogue One:

(This takes some liberties with the film's storyline but then most tie-in games do.)

Platform-based arcade adventure in the style of Dan Dare/Saboteur etc. in which you play the role of Cassian Andor (actually a composite of Andor, Jyn, Bodhi and Chirrut's roles)

Level 1: Jedha

Battle stormtroopers through the streets of the city to locate the entrance to Saw Gerrera's base. Level ends after defeating the Imperial tank, when you're captured by the partisans.

Level 2: Eadu

Navigate the landscape from your crashed ship to the facility, avoiding Imperial patrols so as not to alert the base. Locate a ship to escape on and destroy the anti-aircraft turret then make your way to the landing pad to assassinate Galen Erso. Level ends when, after killing all Krennic's Deathtroopers, Erso is located - at this point the rebel fleet arrives and bombs the facility.

Level 3: Scarif Citadel Tower

Infiltrate the vault (no shooting!) to steal the Death Star plans. Fight your way out, killing Krennic and his Deathtroopers en route.

Level 4: Scarif Outer Base

Fight across the surface to locate a transmitter to send the plans to the rebel fleet. Level ends when.... well, you know how it ends :(