The best classic Speccy game beginning with O: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with O: discussion

Post by stupidget »

Out Cast was a pretty good game as well:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=3560

I think for me it going to be Olli and Lisa. For a budget game this has excellent graphics and sound even if it is a tough as a very tough thing.
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

My +2 from Curry’s came with a couple of, “O” games, which I think were the best of the 10 received that Christmas morning, competition was pretty low it has to be said.

Oh Mummy – very simple game with basic graphics, that was probably my favourite of the games that came with the Spectrum. Was quite fun and I did crack it out every now and then over the subsequent years as I spent loads of time on the Spectrum.

Odd Job Eddie – which to be honest I don’t have much recollection of the gameplay, other than it being a platform game, so I must have moved on from it pretty quickly as I started purchasing games.

The game from that list that jumps out from me is Operation Wolf.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Dark wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:50 pm My +2 from Curry’s came with a couple of, “O” games, which I think were the best of the 10 received that Christmas morning, competition was pretty low it has to be said.

Oh Mummy
AAAaaaah, you have to be kidding me! That the +2 ever came with a 16K game from 1983 is shocking enough. The game itself is terrible unplayable bilge.

– very simple game with basic graphics, that was probably my favourite of the games that came with the Spectrum. Was quite fun and I did crack it out every now and then over the subsequent years as I spent loads of time on the Spectrum.
Dark wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:50 pmOdd Job Eddie – which to be honest I don’t have much recollection of the gameplay, other than it being a platform game, so I must have moved on from it pretty quickly as I started purchasing games.
Ah, this is a Harry S Price situation. A rip-off merchant who hacked existing Spectrum games. Amazing that he got his knock-offs bundled with the +2.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I remember the big hoo-haa about Operation Wolf coming out on the Speccy, but, I just found it a bit boring after a while to be honest.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

stupidget wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:36 pm I remember the big hoo-haa about Operation Wolf coming out on the Speccy, but, I just found it a bit boring after a while to be honest.
It's wack-a-mole, isn't it? And not in a good way. It'd be slightly better with a mouse.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Nothing essential to add. I KNOW what to vote.

Maybe we could include the text adventure:

Oh sh*t! by Dominic J. Morris

just because of the smart title.

I also like:

Ometron by Software Projects
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

PeteProdge wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:40 pm It's wack-a-mole, isn't it? And not in a good way. It'd be slightly better with a mouse.
Yep, that's the perfect description of it. Was there ever a version that worked with either the Genius or AMX Mouse?
namco
Manic Miner

Post by namco »

I'm throwing in:
Obliterator
Ocean Conqueror
One Man and His Droid II (Yes, I did say 2)
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

namco wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:09 pm One Man and His Droid II (Yes, I did say 2)
Ah, so borderline!

This is the classic speccy games A-Z, so it's software released in the Speccy's commercially-relevant era, which ended at some point in 1993.

One Man And His Droid II came out to the public in 2001 from the original game's developer, Clive Brooker. It was a free download on the author's website, yet it was coded back in 1991 and intended for commercial release back then. Mastertronic (who published the original in 1985) said it was very good but that the Spectrum games market was no longer commercially viable. (Mastertronic's final ZX Spectrum game - Super Stock Car - was released around September 1990.)
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Orc Attack was a great game, a classic i'd agree, but i'd have to go for One Man And His Droid - Mastertronic

One other O game i can think of not yet mentioned - One Hundred and Eighty - Mikro-Gen

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=1443 (my favoured version of One Man And His Droid) :)
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

stupidget wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:19 pm
PeteProdge wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:40 pm It's wack-a-mole, isn't it? And not in a good way. It'd be slightly better with a mouse.
Yep, that's the perfect description of it. Was there ever a version that worked with either the Genius or AMX Mouse?
Not sure about mouse control but there was a version that worked with the lightgun (Magnum Light Phaser) that came with the +2 Action Pack. I've got it in my loft.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Vampyre wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am Not sure about mouse control but there was a version that worked with the lightgun (Magnum Light Phaser) that came with the +2 Action Pack. I've got it in my loft.
Bizarrely, there was a small corner shop in my town, around 1992, which sold the Magnum Light Phaser pack with those games. Yep, everything but the +2 of course, I think it cost me eight quid.

I don't think I bothered for more than half-an-hour with each game, and that includes Operation Wolf which I thought would at least be the best.

The light gun was, well, very very light in weight and felt too much like a toy. It wasn't all that accurate either.