Barbarian by Palace Software

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Barbarian by Palace Software

Post by PeteProdge »

An in-depth multiformat look (includes the ZX Spectrum) at Street Fighter 2 If It Took Place In A World Like Golden Axe. The game launched with the benefit of Maria Whittaker's outstanding ('personality' - Ed), stood next to a pre-fame Wolf-from-Gladiators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy2RueaO_tQ

Known as Death Sword in other places.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Barbarian by Palace Software

Post by Ast A. Moore »

There are two version of Barbarian for the Spectrum—a single-player and a two-player. The two-player version alternates between the mountain range and the forest backgrounds and goes on indefinitely (although it tends to get stuck at the forest background after a few rounds). The single-player version has different backgrounds—featuring Drax—and allows you to beat him and rescue the girl at the end.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

You may like to know that there is currently and enhanced version of Barbarian being developed. The development seems quite advanced:
http://www.indieretronews.com/2018/07/b ... amiga.html
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

"There are two version of Barbarian for the Spectrum—a single-player and a two-player"

I had no idea :O

I watched the Barbarian remake clips. Couldn't the Spectrum also have a higher framerate remake, and maybe digitised sound effect samples?
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Couldn't the Spectrum also have a higher framerate remake, and maybe digitised sound effect samples?
It could be possible but probably it would become 128 kB only. Samples eat a lot of memory and it's pretty tight in Barbarian I suppose.
The game has a lot of frames of animation and they eat a lot of memory too.

By the way, there is a Russian mod of Barbarian available for Spectrum with new backgrounds and music:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=26556
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Ralf wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:25 pm Samples eat a lot of memory and it's pretty tight in Barbarian I suppose.
Yes, Barbarian takes up pretty much the entire RAM of the Speccy. The two backdrops could be compressed, I suppose, but that wouldn’t free up much nearly enough room for the extra frames of animation.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

does anyone know how the AI is done?