Game of the day...

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Game of the day...

Post by Pegaz »

I thought that in this thread, we can introduce the games we are currently playing or want to recommend it for some reason.

I'll start with a game, which I didnt pay too much attention, but which it certainly deserves.
It's an unofficial Commando sequel, from the Slovak publisher Ultrasoft (original name Komando II), but there's also an English version.
In my oppinion, Commando along with Renegade is one of the best coin-op arcade conversions on Spectrum, so I didnt expect too much, but the game surpassed all my expectations.
The graphics are very nice and the background is very precisely done.
Sprite animation is great, almost like in the original and gives a great playbility.
Perhaps the only thing missing is Rob Hubbard ingame music, which we have as 128k mod for the original game.
Loading screen is also very good, overall, we have one really good and professionally made game.
I can recommend it, even to those who are not a big fan of this genre, like me. :)
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=2734

ImageImage
blucey
Manic Miner

Re: Game of the day...

Post by blucey »

Interesting game. Took ages to start up because of the weird hacker/greets intro thing and the fact that it tells you to press 'space' which breaks out to BASIC. Game itself is okay. I think I've got a problem with these type of shooters because to aim you have to move which makes it all a bit imprecise. Also, the graphics here are a bit of a mess.

That said, overall it's alright. Certainly better than LA Swat.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

You probably used a Russian cracked version with that intro.
Here's an English version in this archive, which also contains the publisher intro, which can be interrupted by pressing Space, but this is not necessary, just wait a little and game will load anyway.
http://www.rzxarchive.co.uk/k/komando2.zip

Then there is advertising, for another great game of the same publisher - "Kliatba Noci", which I also highly recommend.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=9365

Here's both original Slovakian and English versions:
http://zxart.ee/release/id:126747/filen ... 993%29.zip
http://zxart.ee/release/id:126748/filen ... 012%29.zip
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

blucey wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 pm Interesting game. Took ages to start up because of the weird hacker/greets intro thing and the fact that it tells you to press 'space' which breaks out to BASIC.
I too gave it a blast. Actually trying to start the game was a game in itself. I didn't get the BASIC thing, but it took a while after redefining the keys to actually launch it.

Superb graphics, it's sharper than Commando and carries colour beautifully without being a jerky scroller. It is a bit strange the enemy soldiers rarely shoot though.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

A very well made game. Really like it. Still prefer Ikari Warriors, though.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Had a few rounds of Maglaxians on my +2 last night. Some good, uncomplicated platforming fun, some might say it looks naff, I'd say it captures the spirit of the Spectrum.

This, Itemiada and most of all - Galactic Gunners are Cybexlab's best.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Floarea Soarelui

Properly hilarious text adventure in an unusual setting.

As usual, it's too hard, and I looked at the solution after a few days. At first I took an answer at a time, but it quickly became clear that I had zero chance of solving the puzzles and I read the whole thing.

It's still worth it for the laughs you get while finding your way, but a shame that the solutions are too hard for all but the most seasoned text adventurers. I'd like to know how Terri Sheehan, who posted the solution in the tipshop, does it.

Try it out, Bula.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

S.O.S., an interesting covertape game, inspired by the usual game & watch games. Control the bridges so that the people can cross them safely. As the level increases, the people walk faster. The upper levels ae just mad!

Try and tell :)

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=16139

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

For me, today's game is Eric & the Floaters.

A funny maze game. Use bombs to kill enemies and reach next level. Activate bombs wisely or you'll kill yourself!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Chuckie Egg.

I love this, not only does it tick the 'memory lane' box it's a great game in its own right. Fast paced fun with a beautiful cacophony of beeper squelches and farts that would even render music by Tim Follin redundant.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Haven't played Chuckie Egg for yonks.

I might have a blast on Chaos later.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

My 'game of the day' is Pheenix by Megadodo.

A very good conversion of the great arcade game. It's not easy to find a decent game among the large amount of unofficial conversion of arcades back in the early years of the Spectrum.

By the way, I also love its vintage-style ad: :)

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

:lol:

"I think I'll go for the glossy colour advert, how much is that?"

"How friggin' much...?!? Errr.... OK then... Maybe I could do it myself..."
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Decided to drag out the Speccy and fire up Pssst! for a quick blast...

Pretty good fun. Very simple game, classic concept, very addictive, nice to play and a pleasant difficulty curve.

Top notch quality for 1983. :D
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Saimazoom By Dinamic.

ImageImage

A cool adventure, the first game of Johny Jones trilogy (plus Babaliba, Abu Simbel) with a very huge map (not very common in that year) in wich you must find four sacks and bring them back to the starting point. Some objects will help you in this task: Guns, canoes to cross the river and canteens that will avoid you water level reaches zero.

One of the first Dinamic games, really worth a try.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Nuclear Bowls by Zigurat.

A really hard plattform game. Non-linear. You are an engineer in charge of a nuclear plant whose reactor has melted. You must restore it by using objects etc etc. Cool to explore, but as I said before, quite hard. I played it a lot back in the day.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 am My 'game of the day' is Pheenix by Megadodo.
I used to always love Phoenix in the arcade. Getting through to the round 5 (mothership) was such an experience!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

PeterJ wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:46 pm
Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 am My 'game of the day' is Pheenix by Megadodo.
I used to always love Phoenix in the arcade. Getting through to the round 5 (mothership) was such an experience!
That level was the coolest one!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Been playing Brainstorm by Firebird - Pete Cooke

A great puzzle game, drawing lines to capture a bouncing pixel to score points.

- ideal for a mouse driven game -
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I've not played many pinball games for the Spectrum, but this is definitely the best one: Pinball by Sagittarian Software.

Four flippers and the chance of getting a bonus by litting all the letters in the upper side.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:33 am Saimazoom By Dinamic.

ImageImage

A cool adventure, the first game of Johny Jones trilogy (plus Babaliba, Abu Simbel) with a very huge map (not very common in that year) in wich you must find four sacks and bring them back to the starting point. Some objects will help you in this task: Guns, canoes to cross the river and canteens that will avoid you water level reaches zero.

One of the first Dinamic games, really worth a try.
That's one of my favourites from Dinamic. When I was young and handsome, my first buyed Microhobby magazine was the #7, with Saimazoom on cover. My poor ZX81 couldn't run these games, nevertheless...

Few Dinamic games after Babaliba were really playables, IMHO.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Cavelon by Ocean.

ImageImage

I love maze games, and this is one of the coolest. Collect door pieces to reach next level and a final battle with the wizard.

But only a few times I reached screen 2 :(
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Cripes, have you got that far? I struggle to get to the second level nowadays. Weird how you have to build a door to get off a level... :lol:

This was one of the earliest games I played. I quite enjoyed it at the time.

The only issue I have with it is that it's easy to be caught out when it scrolls the screen, and decides to plop an enemy knight close to you so you get shot almost immediately.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

I reached next level 30 years ago, IIRC.

Nowadays it's impossible for me to do it! Off form! :D
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Today's suggestion: Panic by Mikro-Gen

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... id=4454

There are many Panic games for the Spectrum (the original arcade is great), but this is one of the best, in my opinion. Pure arcade!