Game of the day...

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Re: Game of the day...

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Pool by CDS.

There are tons of pool games for the Spectrum, but this is my fave one because it's simple to use and graphically correct. It can be surprisingly addictive.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

There are tons of pool games for the Spectrum, but this is my fave one because it's simple to use and graphically correct. It can be surprisingly addictive.
Yes, it's great. Simple but clear and very playable.

Later people tried to add some features to these pool games. They even tried to do it in 3D. It all ended either in ugly monochrome or equally ugly colour clash with much worse playability.

Nothing beats this version.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Ralf wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:17 am
Yes, it's great. Simple but clear and very playable.

Later people tried to add some features to these pool games. They even tried to do it in 3D. It all ended either in ugly monochrome or equally ugly colour clash with much worse playability.

Nothing beats this version.
Yeah, this game is the 'Match Point' of Pool/Billiard games 8-)
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Precisely I planned the other day to look for a pool game that I liked to play back in the days. I recall the player could move the cue tip around. Another good game seems to be Video Pool 1984. It has crossed my mind to mimick a pool-like football game in Basic, if Juan knows what I mean ;)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

hikoki wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 am I recall the player could move the cue tip around.
That's just Pool by CDS.
hikoki wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 am
Another good game seems to be Video Pool 1984. It has crossed my mind to mimick a pool-like football game in Basic, if Juan knows what I mean ;)
Recently I'm becoming an expert in this kind of games! :mrgreen:
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

No, it must be Billar Americano (Artic's Snooker) though I'd like to think it was Bug-Byte's Pool.
Do you know some futbol-chapas game? :)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

hikoki wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:22 am Do you know some futbol-chapas game? :)
Even though I used to love playing the real futbol-chapas back in the day, I don't remember any game for the Spectrum.

(Futbol-chapas: playing football with bottle caps, a sort of cheap Subbuteo :) )
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Subbuteo?? Naaah..too britny classy. I would prefer dirty bottle caps and DRAW lightnings aka ellipSical physics
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Yeah, this game is the 'Match Point' of Pool/Billiard games 8-)
And I would say we have similar case with flipper games

This one:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=3718

is an early game from 1983 and I would say there are very few later flipper games better than that. Or maybe none ;)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Absolutely agree. This is also my fave pinball game.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:32 pm Absolutely agree. This is also my fave pinball game.
I remember that game! probably the only pinball videogame I've ever played too.

By the way, I've just learnt that a Subbuteo game was released for the Spectrum.
zx81
Microbot

Post by zx81 »

Time Scanner is a good pinball IMHO, but it's hard.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

My today's recommendation is a spanish game by Magic Team: Rocman. An adventure in which you must find a old treasure using keys and other objects. Cute. It's got a cool intro voice that welcomes you to the game.

ImageImage
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Spent a few hours between sunbathing/eating ice cream* playing Just Imagine. IMO it's the easiest to get into of the software management games (the main others being Software House/Star) and looks to be programmed at least partially in BASIC (?). The gameplay is well balanced, it's obvious when you are risking everything but it's also hard for money to breed money.

Tips for getting a toehold:

-Offer roughly 1/3 of the game's chance of success as royalty
-Don't be shy on pricing! unless I got the promo very wrong it seems you need to price >£10 from the beginning (but less than £14.30)

The biggest failing is that fireproofing your offices doesn't seem to be an option...

*For the first time in the Holocene the UK has a clear sky on a Bank Holiday Monday.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Last night I played an interesting Spanish game Star Bowls, although I dont know much about it.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=4812
ImageImage
The game itself has nice graphics and animation, as well as sound effects and I think it's worth playing.
Since I'm not the best with Spanish, I put instructions in google translate and got this:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=
I see that the same publisher (Zigurat) has another similar game - Nuclear Bowls, which also looks pretty good.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=3471
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Nuclear Bowls is the prequel of this game. I haven't played Star Bowls much, but Nuclear Bowls a lot, in spite of it's a bloody masochistic platform game in the line of Abu Simbel (non-lineal, though).
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Spectrum 2.0 now recognizes all games from SC, ZX Info, ZX-Art, and WoS:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=717

For everyone that posted reviews of games in this thread, I suggest also adding their reviews to Spectrum 2.0. This way, everybody interested in a certain game will easily find your review too, not just people reading this thread. :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Star Bowls and Nuclear Bowls are very typical Spanish games - pretty and colourful but very hard.
Somehow I like this guy on Star Bowls loading screen, he's certainly a tough bloke, not to be messed with ;)
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Xeno, by A'n'F.

Very cool and addictive futuristic game. I love it.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:33 pm For everyone that posted reviews of games in this thread, I suggest also adding their reviews to Spectrum 2.0. This way, everybody interested in a certain game will easily find your review too, not just people reading this thread. :)
I've started with Space Escape from the new titles and an old, lesser known one called SQIJ.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Today's game: Froggy, by DJL.

As Z-Man, this is a very decent conversion by DJL from the classic arcade game (my fave one, by the way!). Very payable, in spite of its poor graphics.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Having a go at The Brewery.

It's a decent, simple little management game. The most fun parts are naming your Brewery/product and watching the monthly sales. Unfortunately Beardo's brewery failed to make a name for its main beer - Hopf**ker, and it went belly up after a few months.

Remember it was made in 1983, so good luck if you want to charge more than £1 a pint.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

It's very interesting to see how cool a management game can be (like this, seems cool!)

Maybe we should start a thread about how many types of (weird/cool) management games we can find for the Spectrum...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

High Noon by Workforce

This little jewel from Workforce is a nice conversion from the very old Midway's Boot Hill arcade classic.

A western duel in which you have limited bullets and a moving stagecoach and two cactus as shields. Simple but addictive.

One of the first Spectrum games I've ever played. Great for a 1983 one. Even the crappy Chopin's Funeral March played when a player loses a life is a fond recall.

Its inlay is definitely erm, innnovative! ;)

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Uroboros.

Without doubt the best Snake game on the speccy, probably beyond.