Game of the day...

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Game of the day...

Post by R-Tape »

I'VE COMPLETED A TEXT ADVENTURE!!! :shock:

Trolleymania

There aren't many screens (but still make a map) and the puzzles are all sensible. Took me 731 turns, which is probably terrible by experienced players' standards.

Recommended for people that usually struggle with this genre.
2 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Bugaboo the Flea

I've always loved this simple concept, based on a physics formula.
1 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin »

I'm convinced that those little spiky overhangs were carefully and specifically placed by Satan himself...
1 x

RWAC
Microbot

Post by RWAC »

R-Tape wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 pm
I'VE COMPLETED A TEXT ADVENTURE!!! :shock:

Trolleymania

There aren't many screens (but still make a map) and the puzzles are all sensible. Took me 731 turns, which is probably terrible by experienced players' standards.

Recommended for people that usually struggle with this genre.
Well done!
I managed to get 3/5 trolleys then gave up! I couldn't work out how to get the floorboards!
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

RWAC wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:43 pm
Well done!
I managed to get 3/5 trolleys then gave up! I couldn't work out how to get the floorboards!
Cheers!
SpoilerShow
If I remember correctly, it's "LIFT FLOORBOARDS", or "LIFT BOARDS"
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Goblins, Dungeons, Elfs, Vampyres, trolleys at supermarkets, ...

The amazing world of text adventures! :lol:
0 x

catmeows
Microbot

Post by catmeows »

Ast A. Moore wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:51 pm
David O’Connor also did Soldier of Fortune, which is pretty good, too.
Yes, it is very impressive, though it little bit lacks control precission. I would like to see something between Batman The Movie and Soldier od Fortune.
0 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget »

Fired up the frankly amazing Bean Brothers yesterday. What a game, simple idea, incredibly addictive with superb music. Thank god for the DivMMC and SNA's :D

0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan »

Just played a bit of Urban Upstart (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=7149) one of the first text adventures by Pete Cooke.
First, the map is huge, I started with pen and paper but get tired of running out of space and decided to download the whole thing:

The parser seems custom by Pete himself in something that feels like Basic, it allows simple commands but you have the feeling is doing many things on the background, the only problems I had are related to places, sometimes is not clear if you need to use a cardinal point or just type "go out".
Graphics look very simplistic and they use the vector technique similar to The Hobbit, but adding some UDG here and there, and can be disabled to speed up things. I like that he also use the border color on each location and time passes if you don't do anything. Yes, The Hobbit seems a like a strong influence.

The adventure really has a nostalgic feeling for some reason. It plays like a traditional fantastic adventure, but in the city, and it is surprising how many locations Pete managed to fit in 48k.
2 x

akeley
Microbot

Post by akeley »

Urban Upstart was one of my first text adventures (and games in general). My English back then was rather basic and I could not undestand much of the British lingo but somehow sensed there is something special about this game. I haven't played for ~30 years but still remember the phrase "where people queue up to queue up for a job!".

The fact that it was a, well, urban adventure was also a welcome change from the usual fantasy/sci-fi tropes. Definitely on my high priority list to to play again soon (now with added bonus of knowing what actually is going on, and, after 15 years of UK living being able to appreciate the local nuances).
1 x