The best classic Speccy game beginning with R: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

Poll ended at Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:19 pm

Raid Over Moscow by US Gold
6%
Rainbow Islands by Ocean
3%
Rambo by Ocean
No votes
Rampage by Activision
No votes
Ramparts by Go!
No votes
Ranarama by Hewson
3%
Rapscallion by Bug Byte
No votes
Rasputin by Firebird
No votes
Rastan by Imagine
No votes
Rats, The by Hodder & Stoughton
6%
Realm of Impossibility by Ariolasoft
3%
Rebelstar by Firebird
9%
Rebelstar 2 by Silverbird
No votes
Redhawk by Melbourne House
No votes
Red L.E.D. by Starlight Software
No votes
Red Moon by Level 9
No votes
Renegade by Imagine
12%
Repton by Alligata
No votes
Rescue On Fractalus! by Activision
No votes
Return of the Things by Design Design
No votes
Revolution by US Gold
No votes
Revolver by Alternative Software
No votes
Rex by Martech
9%
Rick Dangerous by Firebird
3%
Rick Dangerous 2 by Micro Style
No votes
River Raid by Activision
No votes
Road Blasters by US Gold
3%
Road Runner by US Gold
No votes
Robin Of The Wood by Odin Computer Graphics
12%
Robo-City by Spectrum Computing
No votes
Robocop by Ocean
3%
Robocop 2 by Ocean
No votes
Robocop 3 by Ocean
No votes
Robot Messiah by Alphabatim
No votes
Rockfall II by Crash/Ian Collier
No votes
Rock Star Ate My Hamster by Code Masters
No votes
Rock'n'Wrestle by Melbourne House
No votes
Rod-Land by Storm Software
No votes
Rogue Trooper by Piranha
No votes
Roland's Rat Race by Ocean
No votes
Roller Coaster by Elite
9%
Rolling Thunder by US Gold
No votes
R-Type by Electric Dreams
21%
Runestone by Games Workshop
No votes
Rygar by US Gold
No votes

Total votes: 34

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Better late than never, eh?

And what a selection we have here. There are at least five games I'm agonising voting for.

Well, ya got seven days...

Raid Over Moscow by US Gold
ImageImage

Rainbow Islands by Ocean
ImageImage

Rambo by Ocean
ImageImage

Rampage by Activision
ImageImage

Ramparts by Go!
ImageImage

Ranarama by Hewson
ImageImage

Rapscallion by Bug Byte
ImageImage

Rasputin by Firebird
ImageImage

Rastan by Imagine
ImageImage

Rats, The by Hodder & Stoughton

Realm of Impossibility by Ariolasoft
ImageImage

Rebelstar by Firebird
ImageImage

Rebelstar 2 by Silverbird
ImageImage

Redhawk by Melbourne House
ImageImage

Red L.E.D. by Starlight Software
ImageImage

Red Moon by Level 9
ImageImage

Renegade by Imagine
ImageImage

Repton by Alligata
ImageImage

Rescue On Fractalus! by Activision
ImageImage

Return of the Things by Design Design
ImageImage

Revolution by US Gold
ImageImage

Revolver by Alternative Software
ImageImage

Rex by Martech
ImageImage

Rick Dangerous by Firebird
ImageImage

Rick Dangerous 2 by Micro Style
ImageImage

River Raid by Activision
ImageImage

Road Blasters by US Gold
ImageImage

Road Runner by US Gold
ImageImage

Robin Of The Wood by Odin Computer Graphics
ImageImage

Robo-City by Spectrum Computing
ImageImage

Robocop by Ocean
ImageImage

Robocop 2 by Ocean
ImageImage

Robocop 3 by Ocean
ImageImage

Robot Messiah by Alphabatim
ImageImage

Rockfall II by Crash/Ian Collier
ImageImage

Rock Star Ate My Hamster by Code Masters
ImageImage

Rock'n'Wrestle by Melbourne House
ImageImage

Rod-Land by Storm Software
ImageImage

Rogue Trooper by Piranha
ImageImage

Roland's Rat Race by Ocean
ImageImage

Roller Coaster by Elite
ImageImage

Rolling Thunder by US Gold
ImageImage

R-Type by Electric Dreams
ImageImage

Runestone by Games Workshop
ImageImage

Rygar by US Gold
ImageImage
Last edited by PeteProdge on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with R: vote

Post by AndyC »

So many great games it's hard to choose. I was convinced I was going for Rainbow Islands, wobbled a bit once I got to Robocop and then completely changed tact when I got to R-Type. Because nothing is better than R-Type, just a stunningly brilliant arcade conversion of a fantastic shooter. So many great other titles in the list though, you could almost pick the top 10 greatest games from this list alone and it'd be hard to argue against.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Yeah, many good games here.

I was going to vote to Rocky Horror Show, but is missing!

Anyway, any error is easy to understand with such huge list! :)

So I went to Raid Over Moscow, a true sequel of Beach Head with better (IMO) 'mini-games'.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Sadly, Zythum (by Mirrorsoft) is missing from this poll, so I’m torn between RoboCop, Renegade, Robin of the Wood, and Rex.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

Going through those screen shots brought back a lot of memories, I would love to be 11 years old again and rushing home from school to fire up the Spectrum to play some of those. The game that jumped out for me on seeing the screen shots was Road Runner, I’d long forgotten about that one, but now I’m reminded I recall it as being a great game that I played lots at a friend’s house. That is another to add to my list of games to play when my Spectrum Next turns up ...

As for voting, I’m torn between Renegade and Robin of the Wood, though I’d have no problem voting for Rampage of Rock Star Ate My Hamster as well ...
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

I've just noticed that Russel Brand is not only on the Rock Star ate my hamster, loading screen but, also on Rygar!!!
5MinuteRetro
Manic Miner

Post by 5MinuteRetro »

stupidget wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:34 am I've just noticed that Russel Brand is not only on the Rock Star ate my hamster, loading screen but, also on Rygar!!!
I was just about to say the exact same thing!

Retro stuff, real quick
YouTube: http://bit.ly/5MinuteRetro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/5MinuteRetro
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

An exceptional amount of great games in this vote, it's almost impossible to choose just one. :)
Renegade is an obvious choice and a winning candidate, but I have to vote for one of my all-time favorites Robin of the Wood.
My second choice would be Renegade and then Roller Coaster.
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

The Rats? Or Realm of Impossibility? What about Rick Dangerous? Or Renegade. Robin of the Wood. Robocop.

Hey, that's not an easy vote.
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

I decided to vote for Rainbow Islands in the end, Robin Of The Wood would have got my vote if most of the time playing it didn't just consist of me roaming aimlessly round Sherwood Forest.

Honorable mentions also to The Rats, Renegade, Repton and Robocop, which I also considered voting for.
WIWC
Manic Miner

Post by WIWC »

Now, who0's voted for Realm of Impossibility? That's surely a great person.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Incredible number of great games here. But I'll remain a faithful fan of Renegade :)

You know, back in the 80s like many boys I loved anything connected to martial fighting. Karate films, beatemup arcade games...
Now when I wonder, I actually always loved hand fighting games more than shooting games. interesting if there is any deeper psychology behing it :)

And Renegade is simply the best beatemup game on Spectrum which used to give the same intense emotions as games at arcade salloon, just without inserting any coins.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

And maybe we could make another poll with R letter where you don't choose just one game but can give some number of points to many games???

I don't know how it's technically possible with the forum engine but have a feeling that such number of great games deserves some special treatment ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Bloody hell this is tricky. With perhaps one exception these games range from well above average to top tier. The coincidence of R words and high quality arcade games is an English language dissertation waiting to happen!

Well, I said it was tricky, and it was a lie, because I was always going to — and did — vote for R-Type. Renegade would be a close second choice, followed by Robocop, Rick Dangerous and Rainbow Islands.

Many of my reasons for voting R-Type (looks great, plays great, best version of the 8bits) could go for some of the others, but it just goes that extra mile. Clever coding allowed a large scrolling background, the brave design decision to use character movement allowed large colourful graphics, and thankfully the pixel artist took full advantage of this. It seems quite inspired.

Looks like Renegade is steaming ahead though! They should have called it Q-Type.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Wow, R appears to be an embarrassment of riches.

I played a bunch of these games a lot. Highlights for me are:

Rampage
Rana Rama
Rebelstar
Rebelstar II
Renegade
Robocop
Rock Star Ate My Hamster
Roller Coaster

I also think this letter has the largest number of nominations for games that I've managed to finish without cheating (like Robocop, Rebelstar, Renegade, Rogue Trooper).

Anyway, my vote goes to Rebelstar. Outstanding game, that I played loads both one or two players. Once you get to know the computer AI you can toy with it a bit, but you can always ramp up the difficulty, like mowing the lawn.. :)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Morkin wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:56 pm
Anyway, my vote goes to Rebelstar. Outstanding game, that I played loads both one or two players. Once you get to know the computer AI you can toy with it a bit, but you can always ramp up the difficulty, like mowing the lawn.. :)
Yay!!

Rebelstar is the one game that I never get bored with. Tension, strategy and a whole lot of fun. Just set aside a few hours, power up the photon lasers, select the medi-kit and use those light sabres to slice through the airlocks.
Trying to win on top level without losing a member of the team is a toughie, but it can be done.
Just make sure that the flybot doesn't start outside the moonbase (top right hand corner) otherwise it'll be a long long game!
Great fun with 2 players.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

This poll will be an interesting fight between Renegade and R-Type.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

This has to be the most difficult one yet!

As much as I think R-Type is a masterpiece I never really enjoyed playing it all that much (too hard) - but I was really spoilt by playing the PC Engine version at the same time (which was nigh-on arcade-perfect).

Loved Roller Coaster, Robin Of The Wood, Renegade, Robocop and Raid Over Moscow. Never played Rainbow Islands back in the day, but it is a marvellous conversion.

Decisions... Decisions... Gone for Roller Coaster.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I’m still swaying, but I decided to exclude conversions, even though, by Clive, the Spectrum version of Renegade is arguably better than the original arcade. Recast my vote for Rex.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Juan F. Ramirez wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:31 am This poll will be an interesting fight between Renegade and R-Type.
I reckon so, two classics.

I enjoyed Renegade but am one of those (possibly few) people who preferred the sequel.

As for R-Type, I thought it was fantastic to play but I got frustrated with the way you could lose your power ups when you die. I guess it's a bit unfair of me to criticise considering it's an arcade conversion, but because of that I probably didn't enjoy it as much as I might have done.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

As much as I think R-Type is a masterpiece I never really enjoyed playing it all that much
I have the same feelings. Technically R-Type is very impressive, colourful and with a lot of action and of varied, interesting content.
So what if I can't complete the 1st level? :( If not recordings made by others I would never see it at all.

Renagade is easier but still challenging. Just like other good games from Ocean - Robocop, Rainbow Islands, Chase H.Q.

I have a feeling that the programmers in Ocean were from a different league than all the rest. They were doing fast, smooth games. But they didn't care only for framerates and number of sprites on screen. They could take the gamer's perspective, not only coder's perspective. And make easier games that would be enjotyable not only for some master of joystick but for an average joe as well.

Now, after 30 years, we can see that it was the winning trend. Computer games became much easier so stuff like Renegade and Robocop was jsut ahead of its time ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

As much as I like Renegade, isn't the gameplay fundamentally flawed by the fact that there isn't much incentive to use moves other than the flying kick? If a good beatemup is about crafty use of moves then Renegade is very limited. It's a good and satisfying kick, but if the player is unrealistically hovering in mid air for half the game then it removes them from the gritty scenarios.

This is a good reason to vote R-Type: no over-reliance on the flying kick.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:53 pm If a good beatemup is about crafty use of moves then Renegade is very limited.
On this note, I'm glad Red Heat didn't make the shortlist! (and for about a hundred other reasons...)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

sn't the gameplay fundamentally flawed by the fact that there isn't much incentive to use moves other than the flying kick?
Yes, that can be some problem. That is a general problems of some beatemups that you can discover some trick and finish the game using one move all along. At least in Renegade bosses are resistant to flying kick.

Actually when you become better at the game you start to use different techniques - back kick, finishing enemies on the ground, or throw over your shoulder (128 kB version only). But when you're not that experienced you will probably stick to flying kick.

The authors must have realised that and in Target Renegade flying kick is not so useful. Especially at later levels where enemies become resistant to it.

You can also play my mod of Renegade where I made some enemies invlunerable to flying kicks :)
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Wow, this is a toughie.

As i put in the discussion I loved Rambo as we used to go round my mates for lunch every day when at school and play that, but, it's not really that good a game. I really liked R-Type and obviously it looked stunning, but, I could never really get past the second level. Runestone was another favourite of mine but out of all the games I think the best game, for me, would be Roadblasters. I loved the arcade game so when the Speccy version was released it was a day one purchase for me. However the 48k version was painfully slow and almost unplayable so when I got a 128 and ran it on that it was a completely different game. Obviously the music and sound was better, but, the speed was increased and the graphics were actually different as horizontal lines were added to the side of the road so that you got a good feeling of the speed. Great game.