The best classic Speccy game beginning with R: vote

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...

The best classic Speccy game beginning with R: vote

Poll ended at Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:19 pm

Raid Over Moscow by US Gold
6%
Rainbow Islands by Ocean
3%
Rambo by Ocean
No votes
Rampage by Activision
No votes
Ramparts by Go!
No votes
Ranarama by Hewson
3%
Rapscallion by Bug Byte
No votes
Rasputin by Firebird
No votes
Rastan by Imagine
No votes
Rats, The by Hodder & Stoughton
6%
Realm of Impossibility by Ariolasoft
3%
Rebelstar by Firebird
9%
Rebelstar 2 by Silverbird
No votes
Redhawk by Melbourne House
No votes
Red L.E.D. by Starlight Software
No votes
Red Moon by Level 9
No votes
Renegade by Imagine
12%
Repton by Alligata
No votes
Rescue On Fractalus! by Activision
No votes
Return of the Things by Design Design
No votes
Revolution by US Gold
No votes
Revolver by Alternative Software
No votes
Rex by Martech
9%
Rick Dangerous by Firebird
3%
Rick Dangerous 2 by Micro Style
No votes
River Raid by Activision
No votes
Road Blasters by US Gold
3%
Road Runner by US Gold
No votes
Robin Of The Wood by Odin Computer Graphics
12%
Robo-City by Spectrum Computing
No votes
Robocop by Ocean
3%
Robocop 2 by Ocean
No votes
Robocop 3 by Ocean
No votes
Robot Messiah by Alphabatim
No votes
Rockfall II by Crash/Ian Collier
No votes
Rock Star Ate My Hamster by Code Masters
No votes
Rock'n'Wrestle by Melbourne House
No votes
Rod-Land by Storm Software
No votes
Rogue Trooper by Piranha
No votes
Roland's Rat Race by Ocean
No votes
Roller Coaster by Elite
9%
Rolling Thunder by US Gold
No votes
R-Type by Electric Dreams
21%
Runestone by Games Workshop
No votes
Rygar by US Gold
No votes

Total votes: 34

Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: The best classic Speccy game beginning with R: vote

Post by Ralf »

As much as I think R-Type is a masterpiece I never really enjoyed playing it all that much
I have the same feelings. Technically R-Type is very impressive, colourful and with a lot of action and of varied, interesting content.
So what if I can't complete the 1st level? :( If not recordings made by others I would never see it at all.

Renagade is easier but still challenging. Just like other good games from Ocean - Robocop, Rainbow Islands, Chase H.Q.

I have a feeling that the programmers in Ocean were from a different league than all the rest. They were doing fast, smooth games. But they didn't care only for framerates and number of sprites on screen. They could take the gamer's perspective, not only coder's perspective. And make easier games that would be enjotyable not only for some master of joystick but for an average joe as well.

Now, after 30 years, we can see that it was the winning trend. Computer games became much easier so stuff like Renegade and Robocop was jsut ahead of its time ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

As much as I like Renegade, isn't the gameplay fundamentally flawed by the fact that there isn't much incentive to use moves other than the flying kick? If a good beatemup is about crafty use of moves then Renegade is very limited. It's a good and satisfying kick, but if the player is unrealistically hovering in mid air for half the game then it removes them from the gritty scenarios.

This is a good reason to vote R-Type: no over-reliance on the flying kick.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:53 pm If a good beatemup is about crafty use of moves then Renegade is very limited.
On this note, I'm glad Red Heat didn't make the shortlist! (and for about a hundred other reasons...)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

sn't the gameplay fundamentally flawed by the fact that there isn't much incentive to use moves other than the flying kick?
Yes, that can be some problem. That is a general problems of some beatemups that you can discover some trick and finish the game using one move all along. At least in Renegade bosses are resistant to flying kick.

Actually when you become better at the game you start to use different techniques - back kick, finishing enemies on the ground, or throw over your shoulder (128 kB version only). But when you're not that experienced you will probably stick to flying kick.

The authors must have realised that and in Target Renegade flying kick is not so useful. Especially at later levels where enemies become resistant to it.

You can also play my mod of Renegade where I made some enemies invlunerable to flying kicks :)
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Wow, this is a toughie.

As i put in the discussion I loved Rambo as we used to go round my mates for lunch every day when at school and play that, but, it's not really that good a game. I really liked R-Type and obviously it looked stunning, but, I could never really get past the second level. Runestone was another favourite of mine but out of all the games I think the best game, for me, would be Roadblasters. I loved the arcade game so when the Speccy version was released it was a day one purchase for me. However the 48k version was painfully slow and almost unplayable so when I got a 128 and ran it on that it was a completely different game. Obviously the music and sound was better, but, the speed was increased and the graphics were actually different as horizontal lines were added to the side of the road so that you got a good feeling of the speed. Great game.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Yoyo [mention]PeteProdge[/mention], are you too busy to keep going with this? It'd be a shame to stop with 8 letters to go...

(no stress btw, drop me a PM :-) if you can't )
Morpheus
Microbot

Post by Morpheus »

R-Type for me as well, brilliant game.
R Tape loading error, 0:1
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Is anyone in touch with prodge? Does he want someone else to cover this A-Z malarky for a while?
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I think these threads should be already restarted. They're cool and a good excuse to speak about games.

I don't think Pete cares...
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Bring on the 'S' thread!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Hello. Guess who's back. Back again. Prodge's back. Tell a friend.

Anyway, that's R-Type narrowly winning the R vote and even though I didn't vote for it, it's a worthy win. I've read the book about its conversion and it's simply an astonishing piece of work that the ZX Spectrum is lucky to have.

Right, onto S...
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!