Issue with ZX Spectrum +2 keyboard

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
ss2180
Drutt

Issue with ZX Spectrum +2 keyboard

Post by ss2180 »

Hey all!

I recently bought a ZX spectrum +2. I was trying to load a game when I noticed the speech mark key doesn't work. I tested the keyboard some more and it seems to be acting really strange.

The symbol shift and extend mode keys appear to do the same thing. As well as that it seems only half of the symbols actually work.

I'm not really sure what could be causing this but I thought I'd ask on here to see of anyone has ever had similar issues.

Hopefully you can help.
Morpheus
Microbot

Re: Issue with ZX Spectrum +2 keyboard

Post by Morpheus »

My first suggestion would be to open the Spectrum, remove the keyboard from the top half of the case. Pop the metal backing plate off the keyboard and have a look at the keyboard membrane. If you bought it off eBay there is a good chance inside is filthy and the membrane is covered in gunk. Clean it off gently once clean look for any visible damage or broken traces and if none re-assemble and test.

Most times I think it is just a dirty keyboard. Might not be but start there first.
R Tape loading error, 0:1