Recreated ZX Spectrum conversion to ZX Spectrum + Keyboard

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
adyj
Drutt

Recreated ZX Spectrum conversion to ZX Spectrum + Keyboard

Post by adyj »

Hi, First post here, and a hardware question.

Have been playing with the recreated ZX Spectrum for some time now with Fuse and Spectacol. All works great. Perfect setup for 'classic' gaming, programming, loading old tapes etc.

Always wanted a ZX Spectrum + when I was younger (especially after wearing out and replacing rubber membranes etc).

The question is - does anyone know if the ribbon connectors for the recreated ZX spectrum keyboard are 'standard', or are they configured differently than an original?

If the same, I thought that I could convert a second recreated ZX Spectrum to a recreated ZX Spectrum +.

Be grateful for your advice!

Cheers
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Recreated ZX Spectrum conversion to ZX Spectrum + Keyboard

Post by 1024MAK »

As far as I am aware, the design of the Recreated ZX Spectrum membrain is different to the membrane in an original ZX Spectrum rubber key. The connections between the keyboard and the PCB on the original ZX Spectrum rubber key (16K, 48K) and the ZX Spectrum+ and the 128K (toastrack) are all the same for all. So you can connect a PCB from a 16K rubber key into a plus keyboard and it will work (a resistor may need to be changed).

As I understand it, it was suggested to the developer of the Recreated ZX Spectrum that it would help with both lower cost of production and to keep a supply of spares available if the parts manufacturered for it were compatible with the original machines. But as far as I know, that is not the route that was taken.

Please note that the above information is based on comments on other forums. I have not actually taken a Recreated ZX Spectrum apart and compared the innards with a original machine.

New membranes are available for both the rubber key and the Plus model keyboards if you need them.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
adyj
Drutt

Post by adyj »

Thanks for the info. Yes, I remember the advertisements for the Spectrum + upgrade kit, so was aware that they were interchangeable.

Might be a ‘winter project’ to see if I can work out the differences between the ‘recreated’ keyboard connections and the original Spectrum version to see if an intermediate connector can be made to make it all work.
tomxp411
Drutt

Post by tomxp411 »

I'm interested to see how this goes. I've got a Recreated, as well, and I ended up shelving it because it's faster and easier to just use a PC keyboard. In fact, I ended up ordering a Spectrum 128 +2 precisely because it has a typewriter keyboard, rather than the rubber chicklet keyboard on the Recreated and 48.

But the idea of putting a real motherboard in that case is intriguing - especially if it's something like an FPGA that can take different cores.