ZX Spectrum +2 booting problem

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
CapSmasher
Drutt

Re: ZX Spectrum +2 booting problem

Post by CapSmasher »

Hey Mark, thank you for your replies

I checked the R79 and R78 outside circuit and indeed they are good, thank you for the tip!
R78 is correct at least on my board - and is indeed connected with C27

TR9 can be burned if is reversed (sorry my noobines)? I initially intalled it with the emitter on the 9v... Saw that on a video on youtube that the emitter had to be connected to 9v - I'm confused now... I guess if the diodes and resistors are OK the coil may be damaged? Is there the possibility that the caps to be to blame?
I will try to investigate that R52 because it seems is tied with D19 like in the power schematic so it must be that.

You said that TR9 is mainly feeding the TEA2000 - that means if the TR8 is working and in charge with the +5V, I still should need to have +5V on the chips, no? But I have only 4.7V ... Let's assume that all circuit is OK except the coil and TR9, I still should have sound when pressing the keys throught the headphone jack, if the rest of the board is OK?

Do you think I can replace the coil with one from a 48k ZX Spectrum? Does it have a specific name/specifications, or some commercialy alternatives?

Alternatively (and maybe more extreme), can I bypass all this power circuit and feed the chips directly to see at least that the rest of the components are good?

Thank you
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

The 7805 voltage regulator supplies the +5V Rail. If the voltage on the input to the 7805 voltage regulator is at least 7.5V, then the output should be within +5V +/-5% at worst. So 4.75V to 5.25V. Most 7805 voltage regulators manage better than +/-5% though.

If the regulator and it’s heatsink are hot, and the output voltage is lower than expected, measure the current on the +9V input.
It may be that if the +5V line went above 6V during the time that the old regulator was faulty, it may have damaged some of the other chips. So see if any are hot (apart from the ULA which runs hot anyway). The Z80 may be warm, but should not be hot. The other chips should be cool or slightly warm.

Whatever the actual voltage from the 7805 voltage regulator, there will be a gradual loss across the board. So a little bit of voltage drop on the +5V rail is to be expected.

I’m confused by your reference to D19. The 2.2k ohm resistor for the -5V line should be between diode D37 (1N4148) / capacitor C22 (47uF) and diode D18 / capacitor C24 (10uF) according to the schematic I’m looking at. Or is this another error on the schematic?

Normally, the transistor (TR9 in this case) dies before the coil becomes damaged. But occasionally the coil may overheat. There are no know suppliers of new coils. As I said earlier, it is believed that it is the same as those used on 16K / 48K boards. A very limited number of second hand coils may be available from a repairer. But the normal fix for a damaged coil, is to remove it from the board. Then very carefully make notes and take photos as you unwind the old enamelled wire. You have to record where the wire starts, which direction it is wound in, and the number of turns, and where it finishes. For both coils of wire. Then obtain some new enamelled wire of the exact same diameter. Then wind the new wire on the former following the notes that were made earlier to the letter. Before soldering the enamelled wire, scrape the enamel off with a sharp knife. Then tin it.

For test purposes, you can remove / leave out TR9. Then using a current limited, but regulated +12V power supply, you can feed +12V to the cathode of diode D20. Remember to also connect the 0V line to the Spectrums 0V/GND line.

It is also possible to use an external current limited, but regulated +5V power supply. I recommend that you remove the 7805 voltage regulator and then feed in via the appropriate solder pads. The 7805 voltage regulators don’t like voltage on their outputs if there is no voltage (or a lower voltage) on their inputs.

If you use the RGB video outputs and the display you are using can display the RGB video inputs without needing active function switching inputs (RGB monitor or TV with a SCART socket that can be switched to RGB inputs manually), then the missing +12V is not a problem.

I can’t remember if the keys make a keyboard click when the ZX Spectrum +2 powers up, because it goes to the menu. But certainly once in BASIC the keys should produce the keyboard click. How are you listening to the sound? Only if the video output is not functioning due to the +12V line not being operational, there will be no sound on the UHF TV output, and no sound out on the composite video output (on the RGB/video DIN socket).

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:39 pm I can’t remember if the keys make a keyboard click when the ZX Spectrum +2 powers up, because it goes to the menu.
Yup, they do.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
CapSmasher
Drutt

Post by CapSmasher »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:39 pm The 7805 voltage regulator supplies the +5V Rail. If the voltage on the input to the 7805 voltage regulator is at least 7.5V, then the output should be within +5V +/-5% at worst. So 4.75V to 5.25V. Most 7805 voltage regulators manage better than +/-5% though.

If the regulator and it’s heatsink are hot, and the output voltage is lower than expected, measure the current on the +9V input.
It may be that if the +5V line went above 6V during the time that the old regulator was faulty, it may have damaged some of the other chips. So see if any are hot (apart from the ULA which runs hot anyway). The Z80 may be warm, but should not be hot. The other chips should be cool or slightly warm.

Whatever the actual voltage from the 7805 voltage regulator, there will be a gradual loss across the board. So a little bit of voltage drop on the +5V rail is to be expected.

I’m confused by your reference to D19. The 2.2k ohm resistor for the -5V line should be between diode D37 (1N4148) / capacitor C22 (47uF) and diode D18 / capacitor C24 (10uF) according to the schematic I’m looking at. Or is this another error on the schematic?

Normally, the transistor (TR9 in this case) dies before the coil becomes damaged. But occasionally the coil may overheat. There are no know suppliers of new coils. As I said earlier, it is believed that it is the same as those used on 16K / 48K boards. A very limited number of second hand coils may be available from a repairer. But the normal fix for a damaged coil, is to remove it from the board. Then very carefully make notes and take photos as you unwind the old enamelled wire. You have to record where the wire starts, which direction it is wound in, and the number of turns, and where it finishes. For both coils of wire. Then obtain some new enamelled wire of the exact same diameter. Then wind the new wire on the former following the notes that were made earlier to the letter. Before soldering the enamelled wire, scrape the enamel off with a sharp knife. Then tin it.

For test purposes, you can remove / leave out TR9. Then using a current limited, but regulated +12V power supply, you can feed +12V to the cathode of diode D20. Remember to also connect the 0V line to the Spectrums 0V/GND line.

It is also possible to use an external current limited, but regulated +5V power supply. I recommend that you remove the 7805 voltage regulator and then feed in via the appropriate solder pads. The 7805 voltage regulators don’t like voltage on their outputs if there is no voltage (or a lower voltage) on their inputs.

If you use the RGB video outputs and the display you are using can display the RGB video inputs without needing active function switching inputs (RGB monitor or TV with a SCART socket that can be switched to RGB inputs manually), then the missing +12V is not a problem.

I can’t remember if the keys make a keyboard click when the ZX Spectrum +2 powers up, because it goes to the menu. But certainly once in BASIC the keys should produce the keyboard click. How are you listening to the sound? Only if the video output is not functioning due to the +12V line not being operational, there will be no sound on the UHF TV output, and no sound out on the composite video output (on the RGB/video DIN socket).

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the info!

The voltage regulator last time I checked had correct values of 9v input and 5v output. The problem is that even with the 5v output I had only 4.7v on the RAM chips.

My board is issue1 and the schematics are for Issue3, maybe some resistors/capacitors changed a bit. Didn't find any schematic for Issue1..

OK so in theory I should be able to power the ZX spectrum +2 like this - I've re-written the info from you from what I understood so to be sure I will not mess up:

1 - desolder the TR9 (just to prevent frying it because is my last piece)

2 - connect +12v to the negative (cathode) pole of the diode D20 and the GND from this power source to the Spectrums' GND.

Here I will need just a bit of clarification... Do I need to desolder the D20 cathode then wiring it with 12v, or I'll wire it directly on the solder pad of that cathode? The GND from the +12v power supply will connect directly to the ground of the power supply jack solder pad? Will I need this +12v if I will use only the analog TV cable?

3 - remove the 7805 voltage regulator

4 - connect +5v and GND (from external power supply) to the +5v and GND pin where the 7805 was attached

5 - check ram voltages and see what chips get warm

6 - try to search for some signal on TV

7 - if no image on screen, I will connect some headphones and check if there is some sound while pressing keys (but only if I will have the +12v line functional?)

Thank you
CapSmasher
Drutt

Post by CapSmasher »

In the meantime I tested the coil resistance:

Primary winding (connected to the transistor collector) 0.05 ohms.
Secondary winding (connected to the transistor base) 0.05 ohms.
Primary winding to secondary winding: greater than 20M ohms (it kept growing, 20M is maximum on my multimeter)

Do you think are OK these values?
I also checked the resistors, seems all OK - didn't find the R52 but don't think is that important since is on -5V

Thank you

LATER EDIT:
So while I was looking at the wonderful speccy board that I have (since couldn't power it on) I just found this capacitor (C41) which paradoxical it has some connection with +12.. It looks a bit bulky and like there is some green leaking on its wire? Could this been causing the TR9 (ZTX653) sudden death?

1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Electrolytic capacitors can cause all sorts of problems. If you are good at soldering and desoldering, you should indeed replace any that look like they are leaking, or may leak.

The resistance tests on the coil look good. Resistance tests alone can’t prove that it is good, but it is unlikely to be faulty.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
CapSmasher
Drutt

Post by CapSmasher »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:55 pm Electrolytic capacitors can cause all sorts of problems. If you are good at soldering and desoldering, you should indeed replace any that look like they are leaking, or may leak.

Mark
Hey Mark,

Thank you for the reply, can you please tell me if the steps from this previous post:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1062&start=10#p15314

..are correct? I may try first to power the Spectrum from an external source, just to check the status of the chips

Thank you!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

CapSmasher wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:22 pm 1 - desolder the TR9 (just to prevent frying it because is my last piece)

2 - connect +12v to the negative (cathode) pole of the diode D20 and the GND from this power source to the Spectrums' GND.

Here I will need just a bit of clarification... Do I need to desolder the D20 cathode then wiring it with 12v, or I'll wire it directly on the solder pad of that cathode? The GND from the +12v power supply will connect directly to the ground of the power supply jack solder pad? Will I need this +12v if I will use only the analog TV cable?

3 - remove the 7805 voltage regulator

4 - connect +5v and GND (from external power supply) to the +5v and GND pin where the 7805 was attached

5 - check ram voltages and see what chips get warm

6 - try to search for some signal on TV

7 - if no image on screen, I will connect some headphones and check if there is some sound while pressing keys (but only if I will have the +12v line functional?)
Yes, but note the following:-
Solder the +12V to the pad of the cathode of D20, or any other convenient point on that track. So you could also connect to the positive (+) pad of capacitor C41 (100uF).

If the +12V AND the +5V are being supplied by the same PSU and already share a common 0V/GND, you don’t need two different 0V/GND connections. If however the +12V and +5V do not share a common 0V/GND, OR you are using different PSUs, then two 0V/GND leads (wires) are needed.

You must use PSUs where they limit the current in the event of a fault. Otherwise you risk damaging the PCB tracks if there is a short circuit somewhere on the board. If possible, I recommend no more than 1.2A on the +5V line. And no more than 100mA on the +12V line.

If different PSUs are used, power up the +5V supply first, then the +12V supply.

The audio output from the ZX Spectrum +2 will need to be amplified if you are going to use headphones. This does not use the +12V rail. Only the composite video (on the RGB/monitor DIN socket) and the TV UHF outputs need the +12V for the TV audio to work (it is combined with the video signal hence the need for the +12V to be working).

Good luck.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Oh, by the way, to reduce stress on the PCB, when removing a component where you are not intending on reusing it (such as an electrolytic capacitor), it’s better to note down the holes it uses and the polarity (or take photos), then cut it’s legs, then desolder the legs, then fit the new one.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
CapSmasher
Drutt

Post by CapSmasher »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:21 pm Oh, by the way, to reduce stress on the PCB, when removing a component where you are not intending on reusing it (such as an electrolytic capacitor), it’s better to note down the holes it uses and the polarity (or take photos), then cut it’s legs, then desolder the legs, then fit the new one.

Mark
Hello,

I managed to desolder and check the C41 capacitor and it was in good parameters despite its looks (I will change it anyway just to be sure). Unfortunately I don't have a power supply that I can limit to a certain current value, I will receive one in a month or so.

In the meantime...

...is there any other way to detect where is this short happening? Do I really need to desolder any component and check? I read something that the TR9 instant burning can be triggered by a short in at least one lower RAM on the 48k Spectrums. In my case the only chip that uses +12 would be TEA2000? Could I test if this is the fault if I will desolder the PIN11 from the board and if the TR9 transistor will not burn that means this chip was the fault?

Thank you
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

You could do that. Keep in mind however that unlike the 4116 DRAM chips fitted in the 16k and 48k machines which are known for sometimes failing. The TEA2000 chips are normally fairly reliable. That does not mean that it has not failed. The +12V and -12V supply also goes to IC3 (1488) which is used for level shifting to RS232 voltages (for the serial and aux/keypad ports). +12V also goes to various resistors and to TR4.

If you don’t have a current limited supply for the +12V, you could use any regulated PSU, but wire a 100 ohm resistor between the +12V output of the PSU and the +12V rail on the ZX Spectrum +2. Then you can measure the voltage across this 100 ohm resistor. The resistor will also limit the current if there is a short circuit (it will get hot in this case).

Voltage (U) in volts (V) divided by resistance (R) in ohms gives the current (I) in Amps (A)

So if you get 2.5V...

Code: Select all

U       2.5V
— = I = ———— = 0.025A = 25mA
R       100
This method gets increasingly impractical as the current increases in a design. As more power is lost in the resistor, and you also have the problem of the voltage ‘lost’ across the resistor means that the circuit that is being supplied no longer sees the correct supply voltage.

There are other ways of working out where short circuits are, but in practice, on printed circuit boards, most are impractical. In order to measure current using a multimeter, the meter needs to be connected in series, so the current flows through it. This means breaking one of the conductors of the circuit you want to test.

The only other ways (without disturbing the PCB air the components) are to supply the circuit with power and either use a very sensitive voltmeter to compare the chip pin voltages with a known good unit. Or use an expensive IR camera to detect components that are warmer than they should be.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
CapSmasher
Drutt

Post by CapSmasher »

Thank you very much for your answer...

Sorry for asking all these questions that the answer can be pretty obvious for an experimented person. Is clearly making some light in the understanding of how these circuits work and hope that will also help others.

So basically I could first try checking if TR4 (2N3904) is not the short's cause, then the TEA2000? If I exclude these there will be only a matter of a failed resistor/capacitor in the way - or that IC3 (MC1488P)?

Thank you
CapSmasher
Drutt

Post by CapSmasher »

Following the post above,
TR4 seems to work... Maybe I should try pumping 12v + 120 Ohm (0.1A) resistor to the D20 diode and check some voltages? Do you have some advice what voltages should I check first to spot this cursed short?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

CapSmasher wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:00 am TR4 seems to work... Maybe I should try pumping 12v + 120 Ohm (0.1A) resistor to the D20 diode and check some voltages? Do you have some advice what voltages should I check first to spot this cursed short?
It’s really a case of trying it, and then seeing what the results are.

This test will may not tell you what is causing the short, but each step narrows down the possibilities.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
CapSmasher
Drutt

Post by CapSmasher »

Ok, so I tried with some primitive PSUs only for the 5v line. I connected the positive terminal from the power source to the positive pin of the voltage regulator output, and the negative to the negative pin nearby.

I observed that I have some massive voltage drop - somewhere like 4.1v are reaching the RAM chips - it would be wise to find a power source of let's say 6v and test to see if ~5v would reach the chips? Or there is something on the board that cause this voltage drop. The power source alone had at least 5.1v.. Another observation was (with another -new- multimeter) that when I first touched the RAM power pin it showed 5. something volts, but then instantly dropped at 4.1v

I also put a resistor of 10 Ohm and 100 Ohm, and indeed they are getting hot pretty fast (the 10 Ohm one got it to the point that it smell, but I saved it in the last moment). In the end I saw that the power source was not going more then 1.2A and I removed the resistor . Interesting is that the TEA2000 have the same voltage as it was powered before (of 1.2v something) that means the +12v line was dead and this 1.2 voltage is in fact an 'echo' from the 5v line !? I think that using the resistors also drastically increase the voltage drop to something like 2.5v

It is strange that this voltage drop is higher than expected, with the voltage reglator when I had 5v output, on RAM chips I had somewhere like 4.7v...
CapSmasher
Drutt

Post by CapSmasher »

This method gets increasingly impractical as the current increases in a design. As more power is lost in the resistor, and you also have the problem of the voltage ‘lost’ across the resistor means that the circuit that is being supplied no longer sees the correct supply voltage.
I just read this again and makes sense, but I had high voltage drop also without using the resistor...

In the meantime I found that the Composite Sync is using 1.2v and that is just the current value on TEA2000's pin11. I guess it could be a sign that TEA2000 may be functional? If is true, is curious that it receives 1.2v without any loss , compared to the ram chips. The only chip that was getting warm was the CPU.

Ok maybe the plan with using an external source was too ambitious with my current tech and experience...

What if I'll do like this:

1. connect the Spectrum as usual from a 48k power supply - will be safe to leave TR9 out just for testing 5v functionality ?
2. improvise a wiring from the RGB port to some SCART jack (don't have a cable for this) - do you think bare wires will work for this or I have to put some resistors on R,G,B?

3. observe if something is going on screen

I'm still a bit surprised that I had +12v dead at some point but still had some fuzzy image with analog output (when voltage regulator gone berserk). I remember that I still had something like 1. something volts on TEA2000 so in theory analog video should be dead?

LATER EDIT:
I just read on some comments on other sources that the Serial Transceiver Chip (I think is about that MC1488P ?) is common to kill the +12v line. It is safe to remove this chip (or just some pins) just to test if is indeed the short's cause ?

EVEN LATER EDIT:
I got my hands on some TIP31C (to replace ZTX653 / TR9), do you think this could handle better the short and survive the tests?
CapSmasher
Drutt

Post by CapSmasher »

Say no more, it works!

I just put a TIP31C in place of the ZTX653 (TR9) - ok I may overdo it with that radiator improvisation, but it was for testing :D
RAM seems to have those 4.7v - 4.72v but it seems it works like that. TEA2000 has around 10.5v or something

After 15 minutes these are the approximate temps (tested with IR temp with case open, ambient temperature of ~22):
CPU - 45 degrees
voltage regulator - 40
ULA ~38-40
TEA2000 -41
MC1488 - 42 (this one is hot compared with the other MC1489 which was pretty cold) - it may be this the problem that triggered the burn ZTX653 couldn't handle? Maybe if I use a device to test the connection? What device could I use ?
TIP31C - 25
RAM chips were pretty cold

Thank you for all the help and tips!

CapSmasher
Drutt

Post by CapSmasher »

I found out from the datasheet that the installed RAM (M3764) actually permits a minimum recommended voltage of 4.5 to 5.5 - and supports spikes of 7v (but for short time) maybe that explains why is still working. Maybe will help others this info if they will encounter the same problem.
CapSmasher
Drutt

Post by CapSmasher »

Sorry to keep reviving this thread, but I have some new info that could help some inexperienced enthusiasts.
I found why it was only 4.7v on the RAM chips... Because I needed to verify first the voltage regulator, in all these tryouts I used some breadboard cables jumpers that seemed to drastically increase the resistance. After I soldered the original wires on the voltage regulator, 5v came back and all seems to function with normal parameters - the red led is not going on though - maybe it was burned or a loose wire (cassette player seems to work).

Can anyone give me some information about this 1488 chip? It seems that is heating as much as the CPU - pretty fast at around 40-45 degrees. The 1489 chip stays cold. It could be shorted? I have a lightgun, can this be used to test its functionality?
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

CapSmasher wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:23 am Sorry to keep reviving this thread, but I have some new info that could help some inexperienced enthusiasts.
I found why it was only 4.7v on the RAM chips... Because I needed to verify first the voltage regulator, in all these tryouts I used some breadboard cables jumpers that seemed to drastically increase the resistance. After I soldered the original wires on the voltage regulator, 5v came back and all seems to function with normal parameters - the red led is not going on though - maybe it was burned or a loose wire (cassette player seems to work).
Voltage drop via thin wires is not unusual. The circuit for the power on LED is very simple, just a resistor, the red LED and the wires/connections.
CapSmasher wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:23 amCan anyone give me some information about this 1488 chip? It seems that is heating as much as the CPU - pretty fast at around 40-45 degrees. The 1489 chip stays cold. It could be shorted? I have a lightgun, can this be used to test its functionality?
Keep in mind that one is a receiver only and the other is a transmitter/level shifter. So of course the temperatures they run at will be very different. For the 1488, can you test the input pins and the output pins with a multimeter on the voltage range. A short circuit on an output will cause the chip to get warmer than normal.

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are four lights!”
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Links to three datasheets for 1488 chips:- One thing I forgot to say in my earlier post. 1488 chips are based on old bipolar technology. This type runs warm even when doing nothing. If you look at the datasheets, the typical power consumption/ dissipation is around 576mW. That’s over half a watt of power in a normal DIL case.

Mark
“There are four lights!”