ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
beanz
Microbot

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

Post by beanz » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:06 pm

Bizzley wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:41 pm
It's all immaterial anyway, shortly we'll know for certain about everything. Because sometime in the next 10 weeks time a completed, boxed, no problems fully manualled Next along with with a spanking new firmware and all those stretch goal games will be coming through my door as promised.

Won't it? :?
Maybe...I don't see it shipping by end of 2nd quarter as they said...it's about 5 weeks on the boat/customs etc. Even if it shipped tomorrow that would only leave 4 weeks for getting everything else together, assembly, testing and so on, and that assumes SMS even have a window open to do it all, I'm sure they are not sitting around doing nothing till the NEXTs cases show up.

I still can't believe they haven't even go the manuals printed yet...I'll laugh if the nexts are ready but the damn manual isn't.
0 x

redballoon
Microbot

Post by redballoon » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:19 pm

It's less than 2 weeks now for the Manchester Play Expo and there will be a sizeable Spectrum Next presence there from the team (I think) and games being released on it. I'm not sure about hardware, but I expect some of that to be showcased, too. Now, I'm not part of them but will be there in an unofficial (I suppose!) capacity due to upcoming release of Melkhior's Mansion on the Next.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:38 pm

I'm still happy enough to wait, but that's easy for me to say because I don't have the time or ideas at the moment to know what to do with my Next when it does arrive.

But really, the Next has to be fully delivered this year...
0 x

Alcoholics Anonymous
Berk

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 pm

beanz wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:06 pm
I still can't believe they haven't even go the manuals printed yet...I'll laugh if the nexts are ready but the damn manual isn't.
The lead time is very short on the manuals. They won't be printed until just before they are needed to avoid having to pay storage costs.
0 x

Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:56 pm

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 pm
The lead time is very short on the manuals. They won't be printed until just before they are needed to avoid having to pay storage costs.
I've got a spare bedroom, and my attic is only half full, so if they need somewhere to store a few boxes of manuals until they're needed then I reckon I could do it for them for a fiver. Or a pint down the pub.
0 x
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."

Alcoholics Anonymous
Berk

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:28 am

Bizzley wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:56 pm
I've got a spare bedroom, and my attic is only half full, so if they need somewhere to store a few boxes of manuals until they're needed then I reckon I could do it for them for a fiver. Or a pint down the pub.
Most people's homes can't support 3500 lbs or so of material unless it's on a floor directly on the ground. If you're willing to pay for insurance (there won't be money to do it again) and then deliver on the day, all is good :)

There is plenty of opportunity to pay for extra unforeseen expenses but you can never get frivolous expenses back to cover those.
0 x

chrisgreen
Berk

Post by chrisgreen » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:03 pm

beanz wrote:
I can vouch for this. I work in publishing and can confirm that the manuals (even big, chunky, spiral bound ones) can be printed, bound and shipped to SMS or wherever for packing in just a couple of days. It's the one thing about the Next that doesn't worry me. The hardware manufacture, whipping from China and final assembly - that is the bit that I'm more nervous about given how far behind schedule they are on this. Having backed for a fully-specced unit, in hindsight I wish I had gone for a dev board and then put it in a rubber keys case.
1 x

beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:15 pm

chrisgreen wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:03 pm
beanz wrote:
I can vouch for this. I work in publishing and can confirm that the manuals (even big, chunky, spiral bound ones) can be printed, bound and shipped to SMS or wherever for packing in just a couple of days. It's the one thing about the Next that doesn't worry me. The hardware manufacture, whipping from China and final assembly - that is the bit that I'm more nervous about given how far behind schedule they are on this. Having backed for a fully-specced unit, in hindsight I wish I had gone for a dev board and then put it in a rubber keys case.
That's good to know.

Yeah I got a dev board, I knew they were never going to make the schedule they suggested (working for an OEM and knowing how long poop takes).
Even with the DEV board though I'll be happy when the NEXT ships as that's when the scene should start to take off more I would imagine..when there are 4000 of them out there instead of 400.
1 x

Pegaz
Manic Miner

Post by Pegaz » Tue May 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Does anyone know, what was the Spectrum Next presentation at the Play Expo Manchester?
Was it shown a fully completed computer with case or not?
Cant find anything on Next forum ...
0 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget » Tue May 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Pegaz wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:57 pm
Does anyone know, what was the Spectrum Next presentation at the Play Expo Manchester?
Was it shown a fully completed computer with case or not?
Cant find anything on Next forum ...

It doesn't get much better than this vid with Baggley looking like a proud father:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/e2mR_OPwv0k
0 x