ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

Post by Seven.FFF »

The board-only Nexts have been in the wild for over 2 years.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

As promised by the original Kickstarter,The Next's FPGA sources are now public and licensed under GPL v.3.0. Core authors: Read the embedded documentation and fashion your cores per the repo suggestions as this will make maintaining everything much easier. Have fun porting cores!

https://gitlab.com/SpectrumNext/ZX_Spectrum_Next_FPGA
Robin Verhagen-Guest
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:34 am TL;DR - should be pretty fast, 3000 of us have already been Guinea pigs! :D
Thank you for your Service ;)

I suppose the bare bones (but with keyboard) unit will be probably around 230-250 this time round. It's a lot (for me)...but then this is Spectrum. If I had to own one dedicated FPGA implementation of a microcomputer it'd be this one.

On the other hands this, and Seven.FFF's comment remind me that NEXT is indeed an FPGA board and so capable of running other cores. How powerful is it compared to MiSTer? Is there any chance of lots of various cores appearing on it?
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

It will depend on the MISTer core. The MISTer FPGA is roughly the same size as the Next, but the MISTer also has other hardware on the board the Next doesn't have, and it has a different kind of RAM. So if a MISTer core uses any of those hardware features, it may not be portable without some compromises.

The ZX-DOS (The UNO's big brother) has an identical FPGA to the Next, and the UNO has one in the same family but a bit smaller. So you should expect to see people port all the UNO and DOS cores fairly soon.

There are also quite a few other independent hobbyists early waiting to work on their own cores, so hopefully there will be lots of cool stuff in due course :)
Robin Verhagen-Guest
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

stupidget wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:22 pm So do you have your grubby mits on a real life Spectrum NEXT!!!? If so, I demand a picture of it in the wild :o :o :o
No, sadly not yet. I ordered the cased version, which is two years overdue because of problems making the case and debugging some problems with the bespoke keyboard. As @Seven.FFF says, the bare board only Nexts shipped to initial backers November 2017 (hence my high confidence in the PCB itself being mostly debugged by now).

I was backer ~2400, I think the first 500 cased machines should be out to backers soon, no idea when I will get mine yet, just glad to know its now 'imminent'.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Seven.FFF wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:49 pm It will depend on the MISTer core. The MISTer FPGA is roughly the same size as the Next, but the MISTer also has other hardware on the board the Next doesn't have, and it has a different kind of RAM. So if a MISTer core uses any of those hardware features, it may not be portable without some compromises.
Sure, I wouldn't expect it to be a total match for MiSTer, it'd be too good to be true :) But even the ZX Uno core list is fairly impressive: C64, CPC, Atari 800 and Apple II - that's some heavy hitters right there. Imagine Atari on Next, what schadenfraude :)

This really stoked my interest in the Next kickstarter. Thanks for the info.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Definitely, it's exciting times.

There are also Victor's cores from his earler Multicore project (some overlap with the UNO cores, I think):

https://gitlab.com/victor.trucco/Multicore

I also know of someone working on a different QL core, and someone else working on a Science of Cambridge MK14, both specially for the Next.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
Firefox

Post by Firefox »

Is there an option to buy just a case?
I would've thought there might be, since there are people out there with just a board...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

This is very random question....

I'm 99.9% sure I backed the Next, and I get all the backer emails, but when I log in it's not listed as one of my backed projects.

I'm sure it's me going slowly mad, but could someone tell me when the funds were taken from their account and what the description of the transaction was, so I can check through my credit card statements..

No, I've not been drinking.....
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

PeterJ wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:18 am This is very random question....

I'm 99.9% sure I backed the Next, and I get all the backer emails, but when I log in it's not listed as one of my backed projects.

I'm sure it's me going slowly mad, but could someone tell me when the funds were taken from their account and what the description of the transaction was, so I can check through my credit card statements..

No, I've not been drinking.....
My money was taken the week the kickstarter was funded (May 17?) I'll have a look at my credit card statement later but fairly sure I remember it having kickstarter in its description.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you. Appreciated.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Peter, A few people have inadvertently made two Kickstarter accounts, They logged in with an email address and password originally, then next time they logged in they click the ”Login with Facebook” button. Or vice-versa.

If you login the way you originally did when you pledged, you should see your pledge. If that doesn’t work, Kickstarter support can help you trace your account.

Finally, a few people pre-ordered Nexts from the SpecNext.com webshop after the kickstarter campaign closed. If you’re one of these, email [email protected] and they’ll help you confirm your details.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Peter, did you get an email with the first part of your address on? A copy of part of mine is over on WoSf here.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks everyone. I found the email, and it did have my address on it, and I must have two Kickstarter accounts as was suggested.

Thanks for all the help! I'm not going mad!

Alcoholics Anonymous
Microbot

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous »

The first cased next is delivered to Paul Howes

Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

WANT WANT WANT
emook
Drutt

Post by emook »

emook
Drutt

Post by emook »

Ahh sorry I see AA beat me to it :D (to be fair his post was on a previous page). (/slinks back into hole)
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

emook wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:49 pm Ahh sorry I see AA beat me to it :D (to be fair his post was on a previous page). (/slinks back into hole)
May your hole have a nice new Next in it :mrgreen:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Delicious.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Splendid!

After setting up and all that, what is the first thing you all plan to do with yours? What is the first piece of software one should experience to get the wow factor of the Next?
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

It's finally happening! Might allow myself to get a bit more excited now. I expect they are shipping in backer number order, which is obviously fair enough, but how long will it take to do all 3K odd?
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:49 pm Splendid!

After setting up and all that, what is the first thing you all plan to do with yours? What is the first piece of software one should experience to get the wow factor of the Next?
Sqij for sure.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:55 pm It's finally happening! Might allow myself to get a bit more excited now. I expect they are shipping in backer number order, which is obviously fair enough, but how long will it take to do all 3K odd?

The aren't shipping by backer number. They built the basic models first and all are going to the Shipper on pallets, (facebook group shows a photo of the pallets all wrapped up), as such the shipper is just going to pull them off and process them in whatever order they come off the pallets.

Same would go for the plus and accelerated models I expect. When the batch is complete, they go to the shipper and then they ship pretty much all at the same time (excluding obvious processing time).

edit: pic added, all the basic models are done (9 pallets in total) and waiting on pickup by the shipper

uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

I've been holding off getting excited by this (Kickstarter anticipation, or indeed Kickstarter positivity generally having worn off by some undelivered failures), but now I can start to look forward to it.

I think I'll explore the not-quite-original Spectrum side first. What can new BASIC do? Accelerated modes? Etc first. I've not been fillowing all the development progress, so it'll be interesting to see we what stage things are at now.
CLEAR 23855