ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

Post by Ralf »

Thanks for the great explanation. I believe nowhere else I would find it exaplained with such details. And yes, it's simple and I understand it :)

So Sinclair used a hacky solution when going from Zx Spectrum to Zx Spectrum + to save costs.

And 35 years later, the Next team instead of doing everything in the standard, "kosher" way, tried to copy this hack but improve it at the same time.

And went into a blind alley. And required time to grow up to scrap their work and start again in another way.
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

Sometimes you are too close to a project to see the way through.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

*Tumbleweed blows past*

ZX Next Kickstarter Update #49, first really good news in a long time but we're all studiously ignoring it?

*lone cricket*

2hr later edit: Just seems a bit odd is all. I'm quite pleased by the news, maybe others feel they have heard it all before. I don't know, but on the first good news in a long time, I would have thought (hoped even) some fireworks would be allowed.
Last edited by DouglasReynholm on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

There's news?
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

ZxSpence wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:39 pmThere's news?
You replied while I was updating the previous post.. :P

Yes, update #49 went out from Henrique about 8am UK today, via the Kickstarter backer emails. Keyboard all OK now, production starting as soon as next week I think?
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

There's more on the email, but the crux of it is here:

"Happy news: the new keyboard, already tested at the manufacturing partner, is on its way to the Next team in the UK for a final ‘I’ve tested it myself’ confirmation before the greenlight for mass production, which should happen as soon as next week. The new keyboard, based on an extended matrix as explained in the previous update, already proved a 100% accurate on the composite keys that were giving us so much grief, closing this much long-winded chapter of the project.

With this last step out of the way, we’re now ramping up for the full production of the keyboard and case, then shipping all of it to Nottingham for final assembly and posting to the backers. There’s light at the end of the tunnel at last!"
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

Worth opening the mailbox then.
Dark
Dizzy

Post by Dark »

DouglasReynholm wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:47 pm *Tumbleweed blows past*

ZX Next Kickstarter Update #49, first really good news in a long time but we're all studiously ignoring it?

*lone cricket*

2hr later edit: Just seems a bit odd is all. I'm quite pleased by the news, maybe others feel they have heard it all before. I don't know, but on the first good news in a long time, I would have thought (hoped even) some fireworks would be allowed.
I got the e:mail and it pleased me to read that manufacturing should get the green light next week, I felt I shouldn’t get too excited about this. I mean I have been reading about all the setbacks until now and not letting them get me too down. So felt I should stick with that, just keep an eye on progress and leave getting exciting when I actually see the mailman coming down the path with a parcel.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Still probably 3 or 4 months out to actually getting it, first they have to make the keyboards/cases, then on the slow boat and customs...that's 5-6 weeks, then they have to assemble and test etc.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Didn't you read in the last update that there's still further pilot production testing on the keyboard, if that passes then there's pilot production testing on the case?

That's right, it wasn't there! But after over a month of silence there's been some unofficial updates stating that they actually aren't ready to start mass producing the 3000+ cases and keyboards, despite saying that in the last update, and that there's further testing stages needed. And even then that's been delayed because the guy who's doing it is on holiday.

This is rapidly becoming a joke.
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

And yet the fur still flies if a backer asks a pointed question on the Facebook group. Not as hostile as before after someone tore a strip off one of the worse protagonists.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Must admit I'm also disappointed, especially after my most recent cheerleading message on this exact thread. I still think it will come eventually, but I should certainly add myself to the ranks of the more sceptical now.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

I can understand the delays and though it's been an annoyingly long time I'm still ok with the wait. However the lack of communication is very unprofessional and the fanbois attacking anyone who asks should imo be banned from the facebook group...if they ban detractors they should ban the toxic ones too.

It's more than reasonable for someone to ask about an update when the team has said they would give bi weekly updates and the updates would come faster now...it's been what..5 or 6 weeks since the last one? That's ridiculous, it takes 5 mins to type

"sorry guys no news yet, still waiting on xxxx, more to follow as soon as we have something"

Rather than complete silence.

Whenever anyone seems to mention that on the facebook group the fanbois start the "it'll be ready when it's done" or "I'm perfectly fine with waiting I want it done right"...which has absolutely nothing to do with the complaint about lack of updates, comprehension boys...
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

beanz wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:54 pm Whenever anyone seems to mention that on the facebook group the fanbois start the "it'll be ready when it's done" or "I'm perfectly fine with waiting I want it done right"...which has absolutely nothing to do with the complaint about lack of updates, comprehension boys...
Well, I'm in agreement with both those quotes/ideals, but I don't think I've ever said that out loud, people's fears are valid and as such the lack of communication is bad. Henrique shouldn't have made a rod for his own back by announcing bi-weekly updates. Trouble is, now the well is poisoned and they are reluctant to say anything as the feedback gets more negative. My personal feeling is that they had the best intentions and found out about manufacturing the hard way, but we will get HW. One day.
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

I don't agree with either quote as being a valid response to a question. Had they been more transparent in the manner Beanz suggested and not fanned the vitriolic responses to us asking for updates by liking so many of the more hostile ones I would have been inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's the arrogance of the outriders, the contempt of some of the core team and the absolutely toxic way they've handled the growing irritation that leads me to suspect things are more problematic than they ever let on. Silence is bad news as far as what I can see.

There are exceptions, Jim flips between being helpful and liking those attacking anyone who asks a hard question. Mike has done his best but his enthusiasm has waned.

When things go wrong and the sun king who cannot be criticised goes quiet, it does not bode well. They are the only ones who can turn this around with a mea culpa and better PR strategy that involves being frank.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Ah, we appear to have stumbled on a type of politics...

With people telling other people what they think they want to hear, and then when reality / events does not match what they said, going into silent mode...

It would have been so much simpler if only the facts had been announced. And if predictions were given, then they should have been clearly laid out as just that, predictions.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Wow, that’s a pretty big update. You can’t deny that these guys are perfectionists. Plus the final machine is undeniably a thing of beauty.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

God, I wish I'd backed this thing :(
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Don't worry they'll be a 2nd run and that wont be half as long a wait as all the work will be done, I might get myself another on the 2nd run too.
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Update #51 this morning was quite encouraging, any thoughts?

Does anyone think we will see delivery this side of Xmas (I personally hope so)?
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Yes very encouraging.

I doubt we'll see it before Xmas though, Boat is going to take about 6 weeks from loading to delivery (based on how long it takes the stuff I get for our company from Taiwan). They of course have to make them before they ship them too and that's probably another 4-6 weeks I'm guessing. Then assembly...and shipping..puts it at about the end of Jan in my estimation.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

It did seem encouraging. I wish I understood the firmware 1.1 update information (linked from the email) - I've not really been following that side at all, I've just been keeping up with the saga of the keyboard problems.
CLEAR 23855
ZxSpence
Dizzy

Post by ZxSpence »

End of Jan sounds right, but it's hard not to lose all interest in it so when it arrives it may just end up in the loft or on eBay.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

The last update was definitely encouraging, but yes I have to admit that a lot of my enthusiasm for the Next seems to have gone, but maybe that will change when it arrives.

I think part of it is that the delays have naturally caused a bit of enthusiasm to go, but there’s been almost no updates on the Next games that were promised as part of the Stretch goals- Arc of Yesod, Rex, Dizzy. I don’t know if they’re even still being worked on!

Hopefully when the Next gets in the hands of the backers there will be more of a developer scene, meaning we get some new games for it, because otherwise there’s very little games that take advantage of the Next’s features.