ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

Post by Ralf » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11 am

Thanks for the great explanation. I believe nowhere else I would find it exaplained with such details. And yes, it's simple and I understand it :)

So Sinclair used a hacky solution when going from Zx Spectrum to Zx Spectrum + to save costs.

And 35 years later, the Next team instead of doing everything in the standard, "kosher" way, tried to copy this hack but improve it at the same time.

And went into a blind alley. And required time to grow up to scrap their work and start again in another way.
0 x

ZxSpence
Berk

Post by ZxSpence » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:58 am

Sometimes you are too close to a project to see the way through.
0 x

DouglasReynholm
Microbot

Post by DouglasReynholm » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:47 pm

*Tumbleweed blows past*

ZX Next Kickstarter Update #49, first really good news in a long time but we're all studiously ignoring it?

*lone cricket*

2hr later edit: Just seems a bit odd is all. I'm quite pleased by the news, maybe others feel they have heard it all before. I don't know, but on the first good news in a long time, I would have thought (hoped even) some fireworks would be allowed.
Last edited by DouglasReynholm on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

ZxSpence
Berk

Post by ZxSpence » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:39 pm

There's news?
0 x

DouglasReynholm
Microbot

Post by DouglasReynholm » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:42 pm

ZxSpence wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:39 pm
There's news?
You replied while I was updating the previous post.. :P

Yes, update #49 went out from Henrique about 8am UK today, via the Kickstarter backer emails. Keyboard all OK now, production starting as soon as next week I think?
0 x

DouglasReynholm
Microbot

Post by DouglasReynholm » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:05 pm

There's more on the email, but the crux of it is here:

"Happy news: the new keyboard, already tested at the manufacturing partner, is on its way to the Next team in the UK for a final ‘I’ve tested it myself’ confirmation before the greenlight for mass production, which should happen as soon as next week. The new keyboard, based on an extended matrix as explained in the previous update, already proved a 100% accurate on the composite keys that were giving us so much grief, closing this much long-winded chapter of the project.

With this last step out of the way, we’re now ramping up for the full production of the keyboard and case, then shipping all of it to Nottingham for final assembly and posting to the backers. There’s light at the end of the tunnel at last!"
0 x

ZxSpence
Berk

Post by ZxSpence » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 pm

Worth opening the mailbox then.
0 x

Dark
Berk

Post by Dark » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:09 am

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:47 pm
*Tumbleweed blows past*

ZX Next Kickstarter Update #49, first really good news in a long time but we're all studiously ignoring it?

*lone cricket*

2hr later edit: Just seems a bit odd is all. I'm quite pleased by the news, maybe others feel they have heard it all before. I don't know, but on the first good news in a long time, I would have thought (hoped even) some fireworks would be allowed.
I got the e:mail and it pleased me to read that manufacturing should get the green light next week, I felt I shouldn’t get too excited about this. I mean I have been reading about all the setbacks until now and not letting them get me too down. So felt I should stick with that, just keep an eye on progress and leave getting exciting when I actually see the mailman coming down the path with a parcel.
0 x

beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Still probably 3 or 4 months out to actually getting it, first they have to make the keyboards/cases, then on the slow boat and customs...that's 5-6 weeks, then they have to assemble and test etc.
0 x

toot_toot
Dizzy

Post by toot_toot » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:38 pm

Didn't you read in the last update that there's still further pilot production testing on the keyboard, if that passes then there's pilot production testing on the case?

That's right, it wasn't there! But after over a month of silence there's been some unofficial updates stating that they actually aren't ready to start mass producing the 3000+ cases and keyboards, despite saying that in the last update, and that there's further testing stages needed. And even then that's been delayed because the guy who's doing it is on holiday.

This is rapidly becoming a joke.
0 x