ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
DouglasReynholm
Microbot

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

Post by DouglasReynholm » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Update #51 this morning was quite encouraging, any thoughts?

Does anyone think we will see delivery this side of Xmas (I personally hope so)?
0 x

beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Yes very encouraging.

I doubt we'll see it before Xmas though, Boat is going to take about 6 weeks from loading to delivery (based on how long it takes the stuff I get for our company from Taiwan). They of course have to make them before they ship them too and that's probably another 4-6 weeks I'm guessing. Then assembly...and shipping..puts it at about the end of Jan in my estimation.
0 x

uglifruit
Berk

Post by uglifruit » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 pm

It did seem encouraging. I wish I understood the firmware 1.1 update information (linked from the email) - I've not really been following that side at all, I've just been keeping up with the saga of the keyboard problems.
0 x
CLEAR 23855

ZxSpence
Berk

Post by ZxSpence » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:10 am

End of Jan sounds right, but it's hard not to lose all interest in it so when it arrives it may just end up in the loft or on eBay.
0 x

toot_toot
Dizzy

Post by toot_toot » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:51 am

The last update was definitely encouraging, but yes I have to admit that a lot of my enthusiasm for the Next seems to have gone, but maybe that will change when it arrives.

I think part of it is that the delays have naturally caused a bit of enthusiasm to go, but there’s been almost no updates on the Next games that were promised as part of the Stretch goals- Arc of Yesod, Rex, Dizzy. I don’t know if they’re even still being worked on!

Hopefully when the Next gets in the hands of the backers there will be more of a developer scene, meaning we get some new games for it, because otherwise there’s very little games that take advantage of the Next’s features.
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ralf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:59 am

there’s been almost no updates on the Next games that were promised as part of the Stretch goals- Arc of Yesod, Rex, Dizzy. I don’t know if they’re even still being worked on!
As for the new Dizzy I have some news. It''s in progress, being made at the same time both for Next and classic Spectrum. Oliver Twins made the story and map design and now the actual coding in made by a Russian team. They could be faster but they are advancing.

Some screens for the classic Spectrum:
3 x

ZxSpence
Berk

Post by ZxSpence » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:53 am

I'm more interested in developing than playing but my early dev (emulation) enthusiasm waned with all the w*nkery on the forums from the hangers on and I now just continue when I have a spare moment on the Speccy, Sam and QL versions although I admit the QL version is furthest ahead due to that's what's on my hobby desk as I like it the most at the moment.

I wouldn't say the spectrum next community is as toxic as the Morphos and Amigaos community drama queens, but it's come close and it rips a lot of the fun out of it all.

Perhaps it will settle down. Whilst communications have been sh*t you can't fault the hard work and the beauty of it.
0 x

Hernan
Berk

Post by Hernan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:44 am

I'm a Next backer (board only, received it more than a year ago) and was a bit critical of some decisions, but the latest updates changed drastically my opinion. The latest core and firmware are great, they even added ULAplus (though it's not explicitly advertised as that) and some other great things like CP/M and useful features for the Pi addon board (previously it was only an additional video output).

The full Next backers will receive a great system, without a doubt. Keyboard looks simply amazing.
1 x

toot_toot
Dizzy

Post by toot_toot » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:19 pm

Great to see the progress on Dizzy and about the ULAPlus feature, hopefully it can be expanded further once there are more Nexts in the backers hands.
0 x

moroz1999
Microbot

Post by moroz1999 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:49 pm

toot_toot wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:51 am
I think part of it is that the delays have naturally caused a bit of enthusiasm to go, but there’s been almost no updates on the Next games that were promised as part of the Stretch goals- Arc of Yesod, Rex, Dizzy. I don’t know if they’re even still being worked on!
Small update on Dizzy.

Game plot was done first by Andrew and Philip Oliver, this was 100% complete a long time ago.

We have completed 99.9% of graphics (some small patches could be required here and there, but 100% of game plot graphics is covered). We have a loading screen and all plot intro slides thanks to MAC (Marco Antonio del Campo). Some locations had been done by Jarrod Bentley, some by me, some by Pheel (Alexander Filyanov) and some locations and items had been done by Oleg Origin (still nobody knows who he/she/they really is/are).
What's missing yet is a main menu graphics, but this is a lower priority task, I'll do it closer to project completion.

We also have about 50% of music, thanks to MMCM (Sergey Kosov). Main game theme is ready, some secondary tunes are in progress (menu, final cut and so on).

The engine is ready from the CKD Remake, so this huge part is already done, working and stable.
95% of game rooms map is assembled by dr.bars (Evgeniy Barskiy), so only a pair of rooms are drawn but not yet assembled via game sprites.
About 75-80% of terrain physics is set up. This means that about 80% of game map can be travelled on foot already and some rooms are still only accessible in debug-fly-mode.
Currently Evgeniy is a bit busy with some real life tasks (moving to a new place, a lot of work), so the coding/assembling work progresses slowly.
We also have difficulties with squeezing all texts into the game, the amount of work done on plot by Andrew and Philip is fascinating, and we wouldn't like to cut anything. Almost no game logic has been programmed this far. It's hard to give any estimates for a game completion, it's mostly up to Evgeniy now, and he is currently struggling to find more spare time for the project, so it would progress quicker.
2 x