ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
beanz
Microbot

Re: ZX Spectrum Next Discussion

Post by beanz » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:52 pm

A lack of timely updates isn't a concern to me...sure I'd like them but it doesn't cause me any concern or worry...maybe they are holding back the next update as a "Christmas gift"..re: a shipping announcement...updates don't guarantee anything anyway...Vega+ updated people with the likes of "In production!" "Shipping in 2 weeks!" "units are being shipped!" horsepoop multiple times. :lol:
0 x

Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:58 pm

beanz wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:52 pm
Vega+ updated people with the likes of "In production!" "Shipping in 2 weeks!" "units are being shipped!" horsepoop multiple times. :lol:
The Spectrum Next has had similar "horsepoop" announcements about shipping - "We’ll have our Nexts this Summer!" - I just think they learned from the Vega+ debacle not to give absolutes but go with fuzzy instead hence "as soon as we can". If you don't want to give a definite date you can always go with a negative..."don't expect delivery this side of Winter"....that kind of thing. You are not committing to anything but at least you are letting people know not to keep asking if the postman has a parcel for them today.

BTW I really hope the Superbacker who posted in the Kickstarter comments for the last update was being ironic when they said they were looking forward to a great year of updates before getting the Next [in 2020]. But the more you read the post more you get the feeling they weren't.
0 x
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."

beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Bizzley wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:58 pm
beanz wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:52 pm
Vega+ updated people with the likes of "In production!" "Shipping in 2 weeks!" "units are being shipped!" horsepoop multiple times. :lol:
The Spectrum Next has had similar "horsepoop" announcements about shipping - "We’ll have our Nexts this Summer!" -
Yeah again not even close to the same thing...Vega+ team made a dozen such announcements with nothing tangible to support it.
Bizzley wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:58 pm
If you don't want to give a definite date you can always go with a negative..."don't expect delivery this side of Winter"....that kind of thing. You are not committing to anything but at least you are letting people know not to keep asking if the postman has a parcel for them today.
Wouldn't a better lesson be to make no announcements in either direction until you are 100% sure?...I think so. I'm sure we'll be the first to know when there is something to know...
0 x

beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 pm

So latest update said Q2 of 2019 by the latest but they'd try and ship sooner.
0 x

Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:45 pm

So do they mean the UK Calendar Q2 - April to June, or the UK Fiscal Q2 - July to September? No I'm not being negative, just pointing out how you can make things mean whatever you want :)

But at least they've come out with a generalised date which is what I was looking for all along, OK it's a 'no later than 28 weeks from today' date but it's 100% better than the 'fingers crossed we hope it'll be soon' type announcements they've been coming up with.

I did find the invitation in the update to head over to a website so I can buy games to download and play on the Next right now a tad....thoughtless....perhaps. Just what exactly am I meant to play them on?
0 x
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."

Sokurah
Microbot

Post by Sokurah » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Bizzley wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:45 pm
Just what exactly am I meant to play them on?
Well, there are about 400 boards out there after all. Perhaps not much use to you, but useful for the people that has a board.
0 x
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah

Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Sokurah wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 pm
Well, there are about 400 boards out there after all.
I thought it was 130-140, give or take a few, as that's the number that backed the "Just The Board" option on Kickstarter. Do you know where the extra 250+ came from as I didn't think they were selling the board outside of Kickstarter?
Sokurah wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 pm
Perhaps not much use to you
No you're right, not much use to me nor the 2700+ others waiting for a boxed Next.
0 x

Alcoholics Anonymous
Berk

Post by Alcoholics Anonymous » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:29 am

Bizzley wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:56 pm
I thought it was 130-140, give or take a few, as that's the number that backed the "Just The Board" option on Kickstarter. Do you know where the extra 250+ came from as I didn't think they were selling the board outside of Kickstarter?
After the kickstarter closed, they made it possible for people to get a unit via the shop until the parts order deadline. About 400 boards in total were shipped.

That person has been selling Next sw for months and mentioning his site when video of one of his games was used in the update only makes sense. It sounds a lot like you're looking for a reason to be miffed.
0 x

Daren
Dizzy

Post by Daren » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:32 am

Bizzley wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:45 pm
I did find the invitation in the update to head over to a website so I can buy games to download and play on the Next right now a tad....thoughtless....perhaps. Just what exactly am I meant to play them on?
I've been playing the three Next games I've bought on the CSpect emulator (Windows, v1.18 and above recommended): http://dailly.blogspot.com/2018/09/cspect-118.html . Couldn't wait until I got my cased Next, but I'll play them on that when it arrives obv.
0 x

Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:44 am

Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:29 am
It sounds a lot like you're looking for a reason to be miffed.
It was a genuine question. Not being on Facebook I have no access to the closed Next FB group(s) and trying unsuccessfully (twice) to join the Specnext Forums without a confirmation email means I've probably missed some of the answers to the questions I ask. But thank you for clearing that up for me.

There used to be an old saying, "if you're not for us then you're agin us" which seem to have become the prevailing attitude nowadays to most things where opinions are mixed, especially online. I don't think it was the Vega+ debacle that was the first to coin the nasty word "hater" for those who weren't 100% behind something (and made that doubt public) and Joefish has recently posted in a Thread on here about what can happen if you don't toe the proverbial company line in some circumstances. Fortunately the Next campaign has (and likely never will) fall to to that basement level of spite and childishness, the product is coming, it now has a "no later than" date and confidence is high. But it is OK to hold and voice a different opinion towards some some aspects of the campaign, isn't it, or have I missed something else?
1 x