Timex Sinclair 2040 printer question

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
ianace
Manic Miner

Timex Sinclair 2040 printer question

Post by ianace »

Hello all,

Just wondering if someone can answer this, I acquired a Timex Sinclair 2040 printer from my local retro shop.

It did not have a power supply with it, but does have a jack port at the back which I assume is for a power supply. If so, does anyone know what voltage it would take?

I was wondering, Were any of these printers taking power straight from the printer connection like the silver paper Sinclair printers, but I don’t think so.

+3code
Manic Miner

Re: Timex Sinclair 2040 printer question

Post by +3code »

I've found this photo:

I assume the thing at the right is a power supply.
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

Hi,

I think it might be , 24 volts, I asked on another website.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

ianace wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:10 pm Hi,

I think it might be , 24 volts, I asked on another website.
Here: https://k1.spdns.de/Vintage/Sinclair/82 ... 20Printer/

"The printer required and came with an own power supply. Therefore it could still be used with the ZX Spectrum+3 and +2A/B. (to be verified) The PSU supplied roughly 24 Volt at 1 Ampere."
flange
Drutt

Post by flange »

The power supply output needs to be AC not DC and is rectified and regulated inside the printer itself.

The website in the link in the post above says that you can buy fax paper and cut it down but there is no need as rolls of the right width are readily available, picture is of one of mine, and whilst too big to fit directly, it's easy to roll your own as they say, also the site is in error when it states it will work with the ZX80 as the ROM has no printer commands in it.
Code for a crude COPY command appeared in Sync magazine, I believe, which I tried at the time but was hardly much use.

1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

This printer needs a PSU with a 24V 1A AC output.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.