ZX Spectrum 48K issues

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Sanxion
Drutt

Re: ZX Spectrum 48K issues

Post by Sanxion »

Ok...I am confused now.

I have tried a continuity test between KB2 and the anodes starting from the left pin of KB2 to D1 to the right most pin of KB2 to D8 and I hear a beep for each one.

That suggest KB2 is fine does it not?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

It does. Inspect the bottom of the board visually. Make sure ther are no cold solder joints.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Sanxion
Drutt

Post by Sanxion »

I think I have identified the problem. One of the contacts on the KB2 keyboard membrane is torn and several are torn on KB1.

It appears I need a new membrane.

What would you recommend?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Can’t think of anything off the top of my head. I’ll look later tonight when I get back home, but there are plenty options available if you look for them online.

The biggest issue will be removing the faceplate. I assume yours is the rubber-key model, not the Plus, and the aluminum faceplate on it is stuck with pretty hefty adhesive. It’s not easy to remove the faceplate without bending it.

By the way, if the membane tore close to the ends of the flex cables, it’s possible to trim the ends and expose the fresh portion of the conductive paint area.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Sanxion
Drutt

Post by Sanxion »

Thank-you for your help.

I would rather buy a higher quality membrane in order that the problem doesn't occur again.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

New membranes for rubber key 16K and 48K ZX Spectrums are normally available from RWAP on SellMyRetro. But he does not have any listed at the moment. You may want to ask him about availability.

There is another seller who sells membranes, link. I have never used one of these, so don’t know what the quality is.

Should you need them, Set of Molex Keyboard Membrane Connectors for Sinclair ZX Spectrum

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

There a at least two designs of faceplate. One is only stuck on. The other has some ‘clips’ as well.

RWAP sends out an instruction leaflet with his replacement membranes.

Various people have different techniques. They include using a hair dryer to heat the metal plate up to soften the glue.
Or immerse on hot water...

Use a wide metal blade, such as a blunt knife to gently lift the metal plate, slowly, so the glue can separate.

A solvent can help with the glue.

Once the plate is off, you need to remove all the old glue.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Sanxion
Drutt

Post by Sanxion »

I managed to remove it quite easily with a plastic spatula and haven't damaged the fascia at all :D

I will no await the arrival of the new membrane!
Mad Fritz
Dizzy

Post by Mad Fritz »

Sanxion
Drutt

Post by Sanxion »

I am delighted to say that replacing the membrane has resolved my keyboard problem!

:lol:
Sanxion
Drutt

Post by Sanxion »

This looks good...and had I not already ordered my membrane, I would have gone for this option!

Thanks for posting it.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Sanxion wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:51 am I am delighted to say that replacing the membrane has resolved my keyboard problem!

:lol:
Excellent! May your Speccy live a long and happy life.