Issue 2 Query

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Johnny69
Drutt

Issue 2 Query

Post by Johnny69 »

Hi I’ve just obtained an issue 2 (or issue 1.5?) spectrum with a low serial number. It has the cockroach modification on it. Looks like it’s hardly been used. How common are these? What’s the hole in the underside of the case for?

Cheers for any help
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Issue 2 Query

Post by 1024MAK »

There are lots of issue 2 boards around. Most have the spider modification. But not too many with the cockroach modification. That was only fitted during the time that the earlier ULA was being used.

If you mean a small hole under the middle left hand side, that is to adjust one of the controls on the PCB. This “feature” was present on issue 1 Spectrums but was dropped for later issue Spectrums.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Johnny69
Drutt

Post by Johnny69 »

Thanks for that - the hole is towards the top right - tried to show it in the photo
Johnny69
Drutt

Post by Johnny69 »

Me again. So I’ve now picked up another issue 2 - seems to have a different ULA code (8222) to the other one I’ve got (8228). Is there any difference?

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

That’s just the date of manufacture: 28th week of 1982.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.