Which models to get / avoid, and which accessory for game ROMs

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Charles Daniels
Drutt

Which models to get / avoid, and which accessory for game ROMs

Post by Charles Daniels »

Hello, I'm originally from America and had a C64 back then.
I've always been curious about the spectrum, and now that I live in the UK I think it would be great to pick one up.

But which one to get, and which to avoid?

I'm tempted by the +2 or +2a from what I've read.
The keyboard looks better for a start!
Also the built in cassette drive looks good.

I know that there must be devices to store .tap files, but not sure what that device would be called or if any is clearly the best one to get.

I mostly want a chance to play all those Spectrum games I've heard do much about such as Jetpac and Jet Set Willy.

I would also love to demonstrate some BASIC programming to my kids.

So, begging for your patience, someone who has just recently really looked into the products of Sir Clive and finding it all so... Romantic and fascinating

Cheers
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: Which models to get / avoid, and which accessory for game ROMs

Post by Ast A. Moore »

That’s a tough question. There are some incompatibilities between the models. While later game titles took them into account and ran on all Spectrums, some earlier games might not work on a +2 or +2A.

That said, those are few and far between, and fixed versions of the original games (including several provided by yours truly), which address the compatibility issues, have been produced in the recent years.

I’d say a later revision of the +2A (also known as the +2B) is a good starting point. They are relatively cheap and plentiful. In addition, they are easiest to hook up to a TV via RGB for the best picture.

Original 48K Speccies are also quite plentiful and might be a good item to have for the ultimate 1982 experience. I’d go for an Issue 3 or later logic board.

The toughest model to find is the original 128K Spectrum (known as the Toast Rack). Seeing that you live in the UK now, though, you might luck out and find one at a garage sale for dirt cheap.

Just for reference, there are three main Spectrum models that can be distinguished compatibility-wise:

—The original Spectrum 16/48K
—The Spectrum 128K/+2 (these are essentially identical; some ROM differences cause incompatibility in a few games)
—The Spectrum +2A(B)/+3 (a somewhat major revision presenting the greatest compatibility problems).

For the best user experience, I suggest picking up an older CRT TV with a SCART connector.

And yes, of all the models, the +2 and +2A/+3 have the best keyboard.

I personally don’t own any fancy modern quick-load interface for my Spectrums, and prefer to load games the old-fashioned way—either through tape, or via an audio cable from my computer/phone. But that’s me.

That’s the gist of it. Don’t want to overwhelm you with too many details at this point. (Maybe I already did.)

Feel free to ask more questions or browse the forums for more info.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Mort
Microbot

Post by Mort »

Hi,
I would vouch for the original Grey +2 , these are very robust , don`t have the sound issues of the later black +2 or +3 machines (fixable with a few resistors mind you)

Some games will not work on the 128k spectrums, but if you find the later budget releases most have been fixed so not really an issue. I have been able to play Elite, Tomahawk (recommended) (better than gunship) and most other games that did not run either by getting the rerelease or finding the hacked game on the internet.

Going for an Sd card reader instead of tape is also a good idea :-) Divmmc is a good start, but nothing like fighting to load a 30 year old cassette 8-)
Scanner extraordinaire, 1000`s of magazines and Software from the 8 and 16 bit era now up on internet archive in lovely 600dpi.
Donations are welcome of items to scan that are no longer needed ;)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Hi, as Ast wrote, +2As - or "black" +2s - are easy to find and relatively less expensive when compared to the other models. Game compatibility is not really an issue since for years "cures" have been searched and found (here is a comprehensive list). Some earlier models, derived from the +3 which had a flaw in the design, can be affected by a certain degree of AY sound distortion, but later ones (+2Bs) do not. I own two of these and sound is crisp and clear with both.

Another advantage of +2As is that the Datacorder, the built-in tape recorder, is less complex than the earlier model found in "gray" +2s and therefore easier to repair and mantain. Here you can find some useful information about this.

Gray +2s on the other hand may require capacitors substitution. Mine does - it begins to behave strangely after a while presumably due to this - but as of now I did not attempt it because I am not skilled at such things :?
beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

Classic 48K rubber key spectrum (easy to composite mod, easy to get a 3rd party power supply for, small so shipping from UK wont be high, cheap keyboard membranes which you should probably buy one of unless the unit you buy has already had it changed)
http://blog.retroleum.co.uk/smart-card-for-zx-spectrum/ to play the vast majority of games, cheap, has kemston joystick port on it.

Less than $100 probably.
Charles Daniels
Drutt

Post by Charles Daniels »

Hello!

Thanks for all the helpful messages!

In my typical way I got obsessed with looking at specs and trying to determine all the pros and cons, but I didn't actually go off and look how much the machines cost.

Good with technical stuff, bad with common sense.

So the comments above were very helpful, and here's what I've decided to do.

I picked up the cheapest +2B that I could which was working. It also came with a handful of games and a joystick.
So I should be getting a good start with that.

These systems are so cheap though, my strategy will be this --

Every so often, pick up a different bundle, making sure each bundle has a different version of the machine AND at least something else which I don't currently have - a manual, a better joystick, some other accessory.

Then just decide for myself which Spectrum I like the most. And making sure that I can keep expanding the system.

Looking through all the auctions I've found -- this really looks like a completely awesome system to collect.
There are a lot of different variants, with different expansion possibilities, AND it's cheap, so collecting won't bankrupt me.

Anyway, I'll get to know the +2B pretty well, and then figure out what to do from there.
Thanks so much!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Charles Daniels wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 am Then just decide for myself which Spectrum I like the most. And making sure that I can keep expanding the system.
You know, no one will think less of you, if you adopt the “collect them all” strategy. :)

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Err, the problem begins :? when you start collecting all the different PCB versions, or expand into other manufacturers computers... :lol:

Just don’t ask how many I have got...! :mrgreen:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:17 pm Err, the problem begins when you start collecting all the different PCB versions, or expand into other manufacturers computers...
Other manufacturer’s computers yes. Different logic board revisions of the Spectrum—not so much. ;) In any case, it doesn’t hurt to have a few spares lying around.

(I still haven’t reacquired a 48K Speccy. Gotta work on that.)